Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Blima vs. Bluma

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 9:04 pm
Are Blima and Bluma the same name? Variations of each other? I know a Blima spelled בלימא and a Bluma spelled בלומא . Is there a difference? Different meaning?

Does anyone have a more correct/legitimate spelling? I think I've also seen it ending in "ayin" or "heh".

Any info would be great.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 9:05 pm
I think so. I’m Blima and we didn’t name my daughter Bluma (after a grandmother) for that reason

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 9:40 pm
Same name, just different pronunciation.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 9:54 pm
The name that’s given is Bluma which is Yiddish for flower ( spelled with a vav and aleph at the end). When you spell it Blima in Hebrew with a yud and hey at the end - the meaning of the word is “nothing” like in the pasuk “Toleh ha’aretz al blima “ meaning that the world stands on nothingness. Yup my name is Blimie and that’s why I know this! Whenever the name is given it’s a Yiddish name, not Hebrew

tigerwife

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 10:20 pm
I think the only difference is that many chassidim pronounce a shuruk as “ee”, while the rest pronounce it as “ooh”. So you will find more heimish “Blima”s and litvish/yerushalmi “Bluma”s.

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 10:23 pm
I'm Blimie with a vav and alef.
Most Blimies I know pronounce it Blima not Bluma, Chassidish and not Chassidish.
I'm not sure why.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 11:02 pm
I'm Blimy and spell it בלימה. For a more positive spin on nothingness, around here we say “Toleh ha’aretz al blima “The entire world stands on Blima!!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 11:03 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
I'm Blimie with a vav and alef.
Most Blimies I know pronounce it Blima not Bluma, Chassidish and not Chassidish.
I'm not sure why.

So is Blima always spelled with a "vav"? Even when it's pronounced "ee"?

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 11:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

No. I think some people spell it with yud
and kay and some with vav and alef.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 11:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Nope. I spell it with a yud.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Feb 09 2020, 11:35 pm
I know if a Blima that spelled it with a hei at the end all her life until she got married. When they prepared the ksuba they said that it’s not a name since it just means nothingness and they spelled it with a aleph at the end instead. She has since spelled it like that
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names