Home

Do you know a depressed Aliza or Simcha?
Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




Black
 

Post  Mon, Feb 10 2020, 3:59 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
This is an interesting question. My father named my brother Simcha for similar reasons and he's a super happy kid, people are always fast to make the connection. He is still a kid though.


Usually it’s said that if you name after a person, the child usually inherits that person’s personality.
Back to top

TheNeutralOne




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Feb 10 2020, 4:07 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
Please explain..


R’ Chaim is quoted as saying that the source for the name Simcha is in Gemara Sukkah 48b...(he writes the text of the Gemara)... and it seems apparently the origin of the name was someone who was not a good person. He says some “allow” the name because it’s a nice name regardless of origin.

If you have access to the Sefer, read it inside. It is discussed in 3 places (pages 50-51, 68, 91) in greater detail than this post.

Hope that helps.
Back to top

daagahminayin




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Feb 10 2020, 4:09 pm
Sounds like a good idea. Did you consider the name Menucha as well? Or Shulamis? Something for calmness and tranquility. B’sha’ah Tova!
Back to top

amother




Goldenrod
 

Post  Mon, Feb 10 2020, 4:19 pm
TheNeutralOne wrote:
R’ Chaim is quoted as saying that the source for the name Simcha is in Gemara Sukkah 48b...(he writes the text of the Gemara)... and it seems apparently the origin of the name was someone who was not a good person. He says some “allow” the name because it’s a nice name regardless of origin.

If you have access to the Sefer, read it inside. It is discussed in 3 places (pages 50-51, 68, 91) in greater detail than this post.

Hope that helps.


I know a Simcha (female) whose parents were told to name her Simcha by the previous Bobover Rebbe (R' Shlomo) because she was born on Simchas Torah.
Back to top

amother




Goldenrod
 

Post  Mon, Feb 10 2020, 4:22 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
Usually it’s said that if you name after a person, the child usually inherits that person’s personality.


I'm not sure where this comes from, but it is a common misconception. It also does not elevate the neshama (according to our Rav). Naming for someone is out of respect for the living, just as is the case with may other mitzvas.
Back to top

TheNeutralOne




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Feb 10 2020, 4:29 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
I know a Simcha (female) whose parents were told to name her Simcha by the previous Bobover Rebbe (R' Shlomo) because she was born on Simchas Torah.


Cool 😎
Back to top

amother




Honeydew
 

Post  Mon, Feb 10 2020, 4:32 pm
My DDs name is Simcha. Everyone says she does honor to her name

Just as a side story. When she was in HS she called a girl in her class. The mom answered, she asked who it was. Simcha. She answered sorry my daughter doesn’t talk to boys, and hung up. 😂
Back to top
Previous  1, 2 Recent Topics

Page 2 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Where to order nice cheesecake for a simcha in boro park?
by amother
3 Mon, May 25 2020, 12:41 am View last post
Toras simcha -baltimore
by amother
0 Wed, May 20 2020, 4:27 pm View last post
Feeling depressed during corona
by Opal
11 Mon, May 11 2020, 3:04 pm View last post
by Opal
I think my 4 year old is depressed because of quarantine
by amother
29 Fri, May 08 2020, 12:24 am View last post
S/o Family simcha: regarding cancer survivors
by amother
12 Mon, May 04 2020, 6:35 pm View last post

Jump to: