Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Laundry got ruined at relatives, WWYD?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 9:07 am
DD stayed at a relative when I had a baby. Lot's of her clothing came back very stained, the stains do not come out. They're relatively new clothing & it's unwearable now. Would you do/say something? Or just chalk it up as part of a child staying at others??

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 9:15 am
Did you pay them to babysit her?

If they did you a favor, I would not say anything. It can come across as very ungrateful.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 9:18 am
I feel for you. This happens when I send my kids to my MIL. She ruins clothes. I have started only sending them in their oldest, plainest clothing so I’m not devastated when things come back shrunken or stained. I have never said a word of complaint. She is doing me a huge chessed taking the kids so DH and I can have time to ourselves.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 9:19 am
I would not say anything. They did a favor. Things happen.

And mazel tov to your baby.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 9:22 am
The stains are these gray stains front loader machines leave on white clothing. It usually means the machine is broken or needs to be cleaned.
I guess it's a lesson learnt to send old clothing.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 9:22 am
I know people who ask relatives who are hosting their kids not to do the laundry for them. They send enough clothes for the duration, and prefer to do the laundry themselves, so as to do it their own particular way, and to treat stains rather than rely on relative to do so.

I am like this if I ever lend out clothes (like niece wants to borrow particular color blouse for performance....) I ask them to return it unlaundered.

Otherwise, OP, I think that's a risk you take when you send child to relatives.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 9:23 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Did you pay them to babysit her?

If they did you a favor, I would not say anything. It can come across as very ungrateful.

No I didn't pay them.
This is my dilemma, I don't want to sound ungreatful. I guess it's part of the expense of having a new baby.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 9:23 am
Do not say anything. It will come across as ungrateful for all that they did for you including taking care of all needs for your child, loving them, being their guardian, and washing their clothes.

It's very hard, I get it. I send enough clothes for the whole stay and mention that I don't put any clothes in the dryer so I would appreciate if they don't wash the clothes.

Btw, if it's oil or food stains (stains darker than clothes but can't figure it out), you may still be able to get them out with some hard work. Make clothes wet, with your palms rub in a little Dawn dish soap, let sit, scrub, rinse and wash again. Repeat if needed.

Last edited by ra_mom on Mon, Feb 10 2020, 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total

Chayalle

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 9:24 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The stains are these gray stains front loader machines leave on white clothing. It usually means the machine is broken or needs to be cleaned.
I guess it's a lesson learnt to send old clothing.

Try soaking in an oxy solution for at least overnight and re-laundering. I've seen oxy do wonders on whites.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 9:25 am
Chayalle wrote:
I know people who ask relatives who are hosting their kids not to do the laundry for them. They send enough clothes for the duration, and prefer to do the laundry themselves, so as to do it their own particular way, and to treat stains rather than rely on relative to do so.

I am like this if I ever lend out clothes (like niece wants to borrow particular color blouse for performance....) I ask them to return it unlaundered.

Otherwise, OP, I think that's a risk you take when you send child to relatives.

When I borrow clothing, I always say to return it unwashed.
But DD doesn't have 10 dresses, she needed her laundry done.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 9:26 am
Please don’t mention it, even in a roundabout way.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 9:26 am
Chayalle wrote:
Try soaking in an oxy solution for at least overnight and re-laundering. I've seen oxy do wonders on whites.

I tried. These are grease stains, usually there to stay.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 9:28 am
ra_mom wrote:
Do not say anything. It will come across as ungrateful for all that they did for you including taking care of all needs for your child, loving them, being their guardian, and washing their clothes.

It's very hard, I get it. I send enough clothes for the whole stay and mention that I don't put any clothes in the dryer so I would appreciate if they don't wash the clothes.

Btw, if it's oil or food stains (stains darker than clothes but can't figure it out), you may still be able to get them out with some hard work. Make clothes wet, with your palms rub in a little Dawn dish soap, let sit, scrub, rinse and wash again. Repeat if needed.

I will try the dish soap.
I did ask her to please not put anything in the dryer only underwear, and she put everything besides dresses in the dryer. Some things faded terribly.
But I guess it's just too bad, part of the deal.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 9:30 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
When I borrow clothing, I always say to return it unwashed.
But DD doesn't have 10 dresses, she needed her laundry done.

It's worthwhile to buy an extra 3 $15 dresses from target to send along in such a situation or send from last year something that's a bit too small or a bit summery. It's easier for you in the long run, and easier for the person you sent to not to have to wash either.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 9:32 am
ra_mom wrote:
It's worthwhile to buy an extra 3 $15 dresses from target to send along in such a situation or send from last year something that's a bit too small or a bit summery. It's easier for you in the long run, and easier for the person you sent to not to have to wash either.

Right, I'll know this for next time.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 9:35 am
Don’t say anything . I had this happen many times. By now I know not to send any really new or expensive clothing .

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 9:42 am
I just had my little niece staying by me. I love her to bits and pieces but boy was it a lot of work. I was so relieved to send her back with all her finger and toes intact. It’s a big responsibility watching someone’s kid (and a lot of extra work... and extra laundry..)
I did try to treat her clothing with respect... but I would be very hurt to get a comment about the way I washed her laundry. There’s just so much you can expect from people to do for you.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 9:44 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I will try the dish soap.
I did ask her to please not put anything in the dryer only underwear, and she put everything besides dresses in the dryer. Some things faded terribly.
But I guess it's just too bad, part of the deal.

Let the soap sit on the wet garment at least an hour or overnight in a laundry sink or in a bathtub. Go in a few times while it's sitting to scrub at the stain with a toothbrush. Wash out all soap suds before putting in machine because HE machines cannot handle suds. Good luck!!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 9:53 am
ra_mom wrote:
Let the soap sit on the wet garment at least an hour or overnight in a laundry sink or in a bathtub. Go in a few times while it's sitting to scrub at the stain with a toothbrush. Wash out all soap suds before putting in machine because HE machines cannot handle suds. Good luck!!

I will try this, thank you.
I did oxi twice, hope this will help.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 9:54 am
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
I just had my little niece staying by me. I love her to bits and pieces but boy was it a lot of work. I was so relieved to send her back with all her finger and toes intact. It’s a big responsibility watching someone’s kid (and a lot of extra work... and extra laundry..)
I did try to treat her clothing with respect... but I would be very hurt to get a comment about the way I washed her laundry. There’s just so much you can expect from people to do for you.

My daughter is a big girl that takes care of herself, but you're right, it is hard to have someone else's child staying by you.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry