Home

Head Banging - Help!
Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Knowledgeable




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Apr 13 2020, 4:15 pm
Pleas have him evaluated by an OT. He definitely needs it. There are some OT’s that take insurance. Head injury can have a life time affect on the brain.
Back to top

amother




Plum
 

Post  Mon, Apr 13 2020, 6:19 pm
First of all take him to an ent (my ds had long term sinus infections that weren't clearing up even though we thought they were.)
Then please please do not ignore this. My pediatrician said the same thing - it's normal, he will outgrow it, etc. & actually my ds has a lot of issues. (Sensory and many others)
I wish I would have gotten him properly evaluated & get early intervention and help so he didn't struggle for years on end.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Mon, Apr 13 2020, 7:02 pm
lilies wrote:
Do you react with lots of expression? Maybe he's looking for your reaction in addition to the sensory thing. What would happen if you calmly move him away or something?


Well, yes, at this point I definitely react Banging head
Sometimes, I don’t.
Most of the time he immediately goes to the crib.
If I talk to him calmly, And move him away, he’ll throw himself at the nearest available object. If it’s me, He’ll slam against me, which really hurts obviou, because he does it full force.
Back to top

amother




Pink
 

Post  Mon, Apr 13 2020, 10:15 pm
I have had children do that and outgrow it on their own, especially when we stopped reacting to it.
Back to top

amother




Cobalt
 

Post  Mon, Apr 13 2020, 11:15 pm
When was his last well visit for vaccinations?
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Tue, Apr 14 2020, 2:20 pm
Ignoring it is not an option. He’s is hurting himself. It’s dangerous.

He’s up to date with his vaccines B”H.
Back to top

amother




Coral
 

Post  Tue, Apr 14 2020, 2:58 pm
Can you move him to an area where there's nothing he can hurt himself on when he tries? Keep his fingernails short or put gloves on him so he can't scratch himself? Hold him in a way where he can't hurt you or himself? I'm so sorry you're going through this, I can't imagine how scary it must be.
Back to top

tichellady




 
 
 
 

Post  Tue, Apr 14 2020, 2:59 pm
My sister did this and she’s a great normal adult
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Sun, Jul 05 2020, 10:23 am
I’m losing it. I really am.
I need help.

He figured out that he can bang his head on the crib rail, so even that is not an option anymore 😢

The whole “it’s normal and he’ll outgrow it” isn’t working anymore. His injuries (goose eggs) are just growing.

Help a momma out!

Are there any therapists or coaches or any resources to help me navigate this?
Back to top

amother




Yellow
 

Post  Sun, Jul 05 2020, 10:57 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’m losing it. I really am.
I need help.

He figured out that he can bang his head on the crib rail, so even that is not an option anymore 😢

The whole “it’s normal and he’ll outgrow it” isn’t working anymore. His injuries (goose eggs) are just growing.

Help a momma out!

Are there any therapists or coaches or any resources to help me navigate this?
self injurious behavior and extreme sensory seeking behavior or compulsive behavior are all signs of brain inflammation. Brain inflammation can have many causes. Diet has a huge effect on neurological health. If this were me, I would take my kid off gluten dairy and corn ASAP, minimize sugar as much as possible, supplement with lots of magnesium and methylated b vitamins, glutathione, maybe even cbd oil. Sometimes an anti histamine helps too. Probiotics and ferments. Look for and treat any chronic infections. Bioray has a great line of very gentle herbal formulas for kids that target gut and brain health by detoxing metals, supporting detox organs like liver and kidneys, healing the gut microbiome etc.Good luck!

How is this child’s health otherwise? Behaviorally developmentally emotionally? Frequent infections or never sick? Allergies eczema food or environmental sensitivities? Digestive health?
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Sun, Jul 05 2020, 11:00 am
lilies wrote:
Do you react with lots of expression? Maybe he's looking for your reaction in addition to the sensory thing. What would happen if you calmly move him away or something?


If I move him to his crib he’ll bang his head in his crib
Back to top

amother




Ruby
 

Post  Sun, Jul 05 2020, 2:55 pm
Maybe a trampoline zipped in or a moonwalk would help? Lots of my friends bought moonwalk for there toddlers during corona. Get one that zips put him inside and sit outside the entrance these protect you from harm. Also there are kids with seizures that wear a helmet also to protect there heads. Your kid sound like he's built solid. I had one of those that would run to me and it would hurt as he jumped on me. If I showed him it hurt he would do it more.
If you hey a moon walk put him in a few times when he's not hurting himself so he won't veiw it as a reaction to his banging and use the same wording each time so it's not words of a reaction
Back to top

amother




Pumpkin
 

Post  Sun, Jul 05 2020, 2:57 pm
As a BCBA this is something that we deal with frequently enough. I am not at all saying it's Autism or that this is the plan to follow, but here are some things to look out for:
What happens immediately before he does the head banging? Is there something that he may be trying to get from you? Figuring this out may help try and prevent this in the future.
When the banging happens can you go in and block it by placing your hand of foot between his head and the item he is trying to bang himself on without talking about it and also without any eye contact (basically avoid giving attention, but make sure he is safe.)
Hope that helps.
Back to top

amother




Brunette
 

Post  Sun, Jul 05 2020, 3:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This a actually sounds like a really good practical idea! Thank You!!!


Agreed. Didn't finish reading the thread, but try to accompany with a sign (look up or make your own) like pointing down ("want to go down?"). You can also hold him and spin around once or twice to give him some good vestibular input.

If it's out of frustration, though, I'm not 100% certain sensory suggestions will work... He needs to learn self-soothing strategies (that don't harm him). Perhaps a paci (if he uses one), a blankie, or whatever. It's so important for kids to learn to self-soothe.
Back to top

amother




Brunette
 

Post  Sun, Jul 05 2020, 3:59 pm
Sorry, posted too soon.
Back to top

amother




Brunette
 

Post  Sun, Jul 05 2020, 7:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Well, yes, at this point I definitely react Banging head
Sometimes, I don’t.
Most of the time he immediately goes to the crib.
If I talk to him calmly, And move him away, he’ll throw himself at the nearest available object. If it’s me, He’ll slam against me, which really hurts obviou, because he does it full force.


Also, to initially teach him I would do the spinning or flipping him upside down in the moment. Then you can also do it at other times (when he's not upset...) so he can learn to ask for it more proactively, if sensory input is what he's seeking.
Back to top

amother




Ecru
 

Post  Sun, Jul 05 2020, 8:52 pm
Oh my!! my 3 yo son still does it... dr said not to be worried. he has a big bump in the back of his head (even took him for ultrasound for it...) I dear hope he grows out of it soon. he is totally regular bh aside for this. its soothing for him. it totally freaks ppl out though
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Wed, Jul 15 2020, 7:17 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
As a BCBA this is something that we deal with frequently enough. I am not at all saying it's Autism or that this is the plan to follow, but here are some things to look out for:
What happens immediately before he does the head banging? Is there something that he may be trying to get from you? Figuring this out may help try and prevent this in the future.
When the banging happens can you go in and block it by placing your hand of foot between his head and the item he is trying to bang himself on without talking about it and also without any eye contact (basically avoid giving attention, but make sure he is safe.)
Hope that helps.


Thank you for your input.

So let’s say he wants the phone. And I move it away because I don’t want him to have it, he’ll start throwing a tantrum and banging his head.
Let’s say we’re walking and I didn’t hold his hand right away, or I encourage him to walk without holding my hand, he’ll bang his head.
Anytime he wants something and he doesn’t get it, he bangs his head.
He’s very verbal, but sometime he just starts up and I know why, but that’s just because I’m his mom and I know why he’s screaming but he’ll refuse to tell me.
Sometimes it’s for no reason, I’ll be sitting on the floor playing with him and he’ll get upset and start banging his head, I try to be calm and present no distractions just hugs and staying calm and he’ll just scream and tantrum and bang his head like he’s so frustrated and can’t get a handle, like something is very very wrong 😢

Re the autism I spoke to 2 pediatricians who really don’t think it’s it, he’s verbal and cuddly etc. the rest of the time.

Also it’s so strange, but today when I put him in the crib he calmed down fairly quickly, and is just laying there, for a while. This happened a few times. Sometimes just laying in his crib comforts him. His breathing eases, etc. then he calls me that he banged his head and I should come get him basically and them 10 seconds later, it happens again and the cycle starts again.

I feel bad that he keeps going into the crib.

I tried holding his head but it went on for 20 minutes today when I tried that.

Yes, we do this all day 😕

Thank you everyone for any help!
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Wed, Jul 15 2020, 7:23 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
Agreed. Didn't finish reading the thread, but try to accompany with a sign (look up or make your own) like pointing down ("want to go down?"). You can also hold him and spin around once or twice to give him some good vestibular input.

If it's out of frustration, though, I'm not 100% certain sensory suggestions will work... He needs to learn self-soothing strategies (that don't harm him). Perhaps a paci (if he uses one), a blankie, or whatever. It's so important for kids to learn to self-soothe.


It is out of frustration. He has a paci and blanky that he self soothes with
Back to top

amother




Brown
 

Post  Wed, Jul 15 2020, 8:53 pm
Maybe get him to wear a helmet to soften the blows?
Back to top
Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 2 of 3 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Help! Re: Braun food processor
by imagirl
13 Today at 9:24 am View last post
Vacation over Shabbos - Help me make it work
by amother
11 Today at 8:55 am View last post
Help me find away how to do this
by amother
6 Today at 12:46 am View last post
Help me what direction to go in
by amother
12 Yesterday at 10:21 pm View last post
This will help you get through to unemployment
by amother
26 Yesterday at 12:26 am View last post