Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Head Banging - Help!
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 6:21 pm
Have you considered that maybe he is in pain and banging to try and alleviate it?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 7:39 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
Have you considered that maybe he is in pain and banging to try and alleviate it?

Definitely!

Now where do I go from there?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 7:40 pm
self injurious behavior and extreme sensory seeking behavior or compulsive behavior are all signs of brain inflammation. Brain inflammation can have many causes. Diet has a huge effect on neurological health. If this were me, I would take my kid off gluten dairy and corn ASAP, minimize sugar as much as possible, supplement with lots of magnesium and methylated b vitamins, glutathione, maybe even cbd oil. Sometimes an anti histamine helps too. Probiotics and ferments. Look for and treat any chronic infections. Bioray has a great line of very gentle herbal formulas for kids that target gut and brain health by detoxing metals, supporting detox organs like liver and kidneys, healing the gut microbiome etc.Good luck!

How is this child’s health otherwise? Behaviorally developmentally emotionally? Frequent infections or never sick? Allergies eczema food or environmental sensitivities? Digestive health?

How is that diagnosed? Is there specific bloodwork to do? Would a neurologist be helpful to diagnose brain inflammation?

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 7:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How is that diagnosed? Is there specific bloodwork to do? Would a neurologist be helpful to diagnose brain inflammation?
not all neurologists are up to date on this. A functional or integrative neurologist would.

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 7:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Definitely!

Now where do I go from there?
ibuprophen trial?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 8:34 pm
not all neurologists are up to date on this. A functional or integrative neurologist would.

Where can I find a MD In NYC?

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 8:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Where can I find a MD In NYC?

Maybe try Dr Huberman at Suny Downstate Health.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 9:30 pm
You can try trs for detoxing and op yellow had excellent advice.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 3:04 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you for your input.

So let’s say he wants the phone. And I move it away because I don’t want him to have it, he’ll start throwing a tantrum and banging his head.
Let’s say we’re walking and I didn’t hold his hand right away, or I encourage him to walk without holding my hand, he’ll bang his head.
Anytime he wants something and he doesn’t get it, he bangs his head.
He’s very verbal, but sometime he just starts up and I know why, but that’s just because I’m his mom and I know why he’s screaming but he’ll refuse to tell me.
Sometimes it’s for no reason, I’ll be sitting on the floor playing with him and he’ll get upset and start banging his head, I try to be calm and present no distractions just hugs and staying calm and he’ll just scream and tantrum and bang his head like he’s so frustrated and can’t get a handle, like something is very very wrong 😢

Re the autism I spoke to 2 pediatricians who really don’t think it’s it, he’s verbal and cuddly etc. the rest of the time.

Also it’s so strange, but today when I put him in the crib he calmed down fairly quickly, and is just laying there, for a while. This happened a few times. Sometimes just laying in his crib comforts him. His breathing eases, etc. then he calls me that he banged his head and I should come get him basically and them 10 seconds later, it happens again and the cycle starts again.

I feel bad that he keeps going into the crib.

I tried holding his head but it went on for 20 minutes today when I tried that.

Yes, we do this all day 😕

Thank you everyone for any help!

Until now the information you gave was more about him doing this for no reason aside for attention. At this point the information seems to lead to a reason, different scenarios and different reasons but there seem to be a few things that your son has difficulty with. In NY you can only get the help of a BCBA if your son has autism, but if you are out of NY then I would recommend finding a competent BCBA to do a functional analysis and help you with a behavior plan.

Maybe

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 4:37 am
What can you loose by trying to keep him of dairy & gluten for a week ?

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 5:10 am
Maybe wrote:
What can you loose by trying to keep him of dairy & gluten for a week ?
would need to be longer, at least 3 weeks to see a difference.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 5:12 am
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
You can try trs for detoxing and op yellow had excellent advice.
trs is good. People have reported great gains with it.

OP you haven’t answered my other questions about this kids general, developmental, neurological, gut, immune health. It makes a difference.

Unfortunately, regular drs are not going to be much help here, as you’ve already seen. You will need to become your own medical detective :-/

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 7:54 am
OP a good cranio sacral therapist may be able to help you somewhat.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 8:06 am
self injurious behavior and extreme sensory seeking behavior or compulsive behavior are all signs of brain inflammation. Brain inflammation can have many causes. Diet has a huge effect on neurological health. If this were me, I would take my kid off gluten dairy and corn ASAP, minimize sugar as much as possible, supplement with lots of magnesium and methylated b vitamins, glutathione, maybe even cbd oil. Sometimes an anti histamine helps too. Probiotics and ferments. Look for and treat any chronic infections. Bioray has a great line of very gentle herbal formulas for kids that target gut and brain health by detoxing metals, supporting detox organs like liver and kidneys, healing the gut microbiome etc.Good luck!

How is this child’s health otherwise? Behaviorally developmentally emotionally? Frequent infections or never sick? Allergies eczema food or environmental sensitivities? Digestive health?

I'm going to second all of this. I skipped through the other posts, so sorry if you've already done this, but has he had a strep test recently? Gram positive and negative? Both rapid and overnight?

Most pediatricians will tell you "normal" and treat you like a nervous mother, so you really need to be ready to push and advocate for your son. He may outgrow it, but why wait if it turns out that you can help him now?

Another thing - remove all food coloring from his diet. If he wants something sweet, freeze some fresh fruit in a popsicle mold.

My DD started head banging when she was 9 (I know, strange age to start), when she didn't want to go to bed. She'd cry and bang for hours. The only thing that made her stop was letting her into my bed, and holding her until she fell asleep.

It turned out she was coming down with a sinus infection, but she didn't know how to say what was bothering her because the symptoms were so vague at first.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics