Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Add/Adhd Evaluation... Help!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 2:52 pm
I'm extremely confused. Can someone help me understand what sort of professional I would go to for an adhd evaluation? Is it a psychologist? A neurologist? A psychiatrist? Any of the above? I keep getting conflicting information....

And if anyone should happen to have advice regarding any specific individual that they have used and would recommend in the Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Long Island or NJ area.... I would be most grateful!!

It is for an 8 year old.

mha3484

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 3:11 pm
We went first to a neurologist because my DH freaked at the word psychiatrist. There was also a much shorter wait for an appointment. I felt that it was very here are the meds come back next month almost factory like. I wanted a lot more hand holding. We saw a developmental pediatrician instead and really felt that it was the best experience. She really saw the whole child. She confirmed ADHD from the neurologist and monitored his medication.

The next year, we did a full neuropsych evaluation and found it extremely beneficial. My son is a more complicated set of issues so we wanted to rule out Autisim and just get a deeper sense of how he learned and managed in school.

I am happy we did both the medical approach and the psych approach.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 3:57 pm
Neuropsychologist
We had a great experience with Dr Zacharowitz. Bear in mind they really good evaluators often aren't cheap

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 4:24 pm
mha3484 wrote:
We went first to a neurologist because my DH freaked at the word psychiatrist. There was also a much shorter wait for an appointment. I felt that it was very here are the meds come back next month almost factory like. I wanted a lot more hand holding. We saw a developmental pediatrician instead and really felt that it was the best experience. She really saw the whole child. She confirmed ADHD from the neurologist and monitored his medication.

The next year, we did a full neuropsych evaluation and found it extremely beneficial. My son is a more complicated set of issues so we wanted to rule out Autisim and just get a deeper sense of how he learned and managed in school.

I am happy we did both the medical approach and the psych approach.

Thank you, I appreciate the information! Would you be able to recommend the developmental pediatrician and neurologist? (if you are in the general area I mentioned I suppose?)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 4:25 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
Neuropsychologist
We had a great experience with Dr Zacharowitz. Bear in mind they really good evaluators often aren't cheap

I have heard the name, I will look into it. Thank you!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 4:31 pm
Am I getting the correct impression that a neuropsychologist is the most preferable route?

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 6:41 pm
A neuropsychologist will look at a variety of skills and abilities based on tests, observation and report to determine the underlying cause of a child's struggles. They will provide guidance on the best route to meet your child's individual educational and behavioral needs. They cannot prescribe medication but if they feel it is appropriate they will recomm pursuing that route too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics