Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Baby with clubfoot
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 11:43 pm
My baby has clubfoot. Chasdei Hashem he has a very calm nature. However, this morning he got his "boots and bar" brace and he transformed into a Kvetchy and upset baby. Currently, it seems that he will be awake and crying the whole night. Does anyone have any suggestions?

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 11:46 pm
The shoes and bar is worse than the casts?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 11:54 pm
Yes! The casts were not so bad and he did not seem to bothered by it as much.
He became so used to the casts and is too scared to move his feet even though he can bend his knees now.
Instead he cries.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 11:59 pm
Hmm I didn't find that with mine. Is it possible straps too tight? Or maybe at beginning put on just shoes and then bar only when he sleeping

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 12:02 am
I don't think straps are too tight. His shoes don't detach from bar (the Markell boots and bar).

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 12:07 am
Oh. We used ponsetti I'm not familiar with that one. I hope he gives you easy night and gets used to them fast! It gets easier and better, stay at it!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 12:15 am
Babypink, thank you so much!

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 12:48 am
I wouldnt worry about it, if you see that the shoes arent too tight. Its a change for the baby. Its not as heavy as the casts.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 10:56 am
How old is your baby?
Make sure baby’s heal is placed properly in the shoe and that heal doesn’t ride up during or after tightening. Also, check babies feet for red spots which may indicate areas of discomfort. If any areas are rubbing, cushion with adhesive-backed moleskin. We also found that socks with rubber grippers on the bottom were helpful.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 11:06 am
My baby had a hip beace after surgery. (Diff issue. Not club feet)
Here are some tips her ortho gave us, put on brace when baby is already slaeepy, while singing and being held (ull need two ppl)
If baby criess, give bendryl for first 2-3 nights till baby gets used to it.
Im sorry you are having a hard time.

My kid finally got used to it but had trouble sleeping and was a mess. Didnt get better with time. So we took it off with the approval if the doc.
4 years later, we might need to do surgery again. (Chances are she might have needed had she worn the brace too. It just lessens the chances/helps proper deveopment) But it was worth it as she had normal days and nights.
Doc said he has seen severe discomfort and pain cause deveopmental and other behavioural permanent issues in children. And that mental/emotional developement is more important that her current physical issues.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 4:10 pm
Thank you all for your ideas!
My baby is 2 months old... It was a challenging night and he was very agitated and uncomfortable.
He is very sensitive when his feet are touched because in the casts his skin got irritated. When his "boots and bar" can come off we wash his feet well and puts oils and creams on it.
As parents our hearts are breaking because he is in pain and upset. But, we know it is for his best and if we hang in there until it is over I"yh he will be able to walk.
Anyone have ideas or chizuk for me?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 4:21 pm
Hang in there!! Hug
I have two children with clubfoot. They bh are both doing well and walking and running. People used to tell me all the time be thankful its something that could be fixed. Yes, bh thats true. But it wasnt necc easy. The shoes get easier because babies get used to theyre situation. It was amazing to see how they figured out how to crawl, stand...

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 4:25 pm
okay. Thanks so much!

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 5:07 pm
Keep a very careful eye out for any skin breakdown. Sometimes 2 pairs of socks help
Cushion a bit more. Where are the areas of irritation?

Chizuk: I can really relate to the heartbreak. We dealt with this almost 20 years ago when there was barely any info out there and little support. BH our DS is incredible. There was little he couldn’t do as well as his friends.

We also used Dr. Ponsetti (IOWA) and had the Markell Dennis brown bad and shoes. There ARE better options available now. (Softer shoes, removable etc )

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 5:16 pm
The area of irritation are under his knees (where the casts were) and in the back of his foot where he had his achilles tendon surgery. It was frustrating because we really preferred the Mitchell "boots and bar" but they only had the Markell style in stock in his size. They are hard to put on and adjust.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 5:32 pm
Poor kiddo!! Do the shoes have a little horseshoe shaped pad in the heel to help cushion and keep the heel down?

Again, double socks with gripper on bottom really help, together with moleskin on areas that rub. Also, make sure that heel is all the way down and stays down in the shoe as you tie and buckle —very often the rubbing comes from the baby trying to get foot out. I found it helpful to open the shoe all the way, place baby’s foot into shoe properly and then make a mark on the shoe where the baby’s toes should end if the foot is placed correctly in the shoe. That way, once the shoe is tied, if you see a gap between your mark and end of toes, you know that the heel is riding Up in the shoe.

Tylenol/ Motrin for pain. Also helps to roll up a receiving blanket to place under baby’s feet to prop them up at this stage. Takes some of the pressure off their back and little legs.

I’m so sorry this is so challenging! Sending you strength and love!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 5:44 pm
What can I do to help him sleep better?
He was so Kvetchy last night so he stayed in my bed until he fell asleep and then I transferred him to his crib.
I tried tylenol and I am unsure if it really helped him.
Will try the double sock and grips... Thanks!
Will he get used to it?

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 7:02 pm
He will absolutely get used to it. My DS wore his until age 4 with no complaint beyond the initial few days.

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 11:39 pm
My dd had clubfeet. The first couple of days in the bar were miserable. Yes, they do get used to it. My dd rolled over and crawled very happily in her bar.

And it is worth every minute of discomfort. The clubfeet really do come back if you don't use the bar. (When dd's bar broke and it took the orthotist 6 weeks to get the part that it needed, her clubfeet relapsed.)

And btw, dd is now 13 years old and is in gymnastics for her upcoming school performance. She is excellent at sports. I keep saying that if only I could have known 13 years ago what she would be capable of today, I would have been so much happier.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 11:47 pm
Hi! I have this issue that my sons heel always gets slanted up. It never stays flat in his shoes. No matter how tight I tie them. Any ideas?
Op, get your baby to sleep on the stomach, if you aren’t yet, my baby sleeps very well in that position.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics