Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Grey's anatomy episode aired 2/6: Levi's story
1  2  Next

singleagain

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 12:06 am
Ok, who else was really impressed with Levi's story on Grey's last week.

I thought it was done beautifully and it was so interesting to see a part of Judaism that isn't normally shown. I mean.. Most everyone knows about pesach or shofar... Even Purim and Chanukah. But tahara ... And death... I thought it was so nicely done to showcase it.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 12:12 am
I appreciated the episode.

But I always imagined a tehara included a mikvah?

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 12:13 am
I didn't watch it, but AFAIK many taharos are done with a mikvah alternative, "Tisha Kabin" - water poured in a continuous stream over the meis.

singleagain

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 12:22 am
Yeah.. It may not have been 100% accurate.. But since Levi himself stated he's a cultural Jew and he was all nervous about honoring his Uncle, I thought it was sweet.

Also I really love Levi's character. There's been a lot of growth.

HonesttoGod

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 10:39 pm
I don't think it was 100% factually/halachically all done correctly but the point was cute and it was funny to see it all play out (like the tehillim recited in english).

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 10:44 pm
I really enjoyed the episode. I'm quite impressed.
Not everything is actually done correctly, but why would they care???

kenz

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 10:53 pm
singleagain wrote:
Ok, who else was really impressed with Levi's story on Grey's last week.

I thought it was done beautifully and it was so interesting to see a part of Judaism that isn't normally shown. I mean.. Most everyone knows about pesach or shofar... Even Purim and Chanukah. But tahara ... And death... I thought it was so nicely done to showcase it.

I actually didn't like it at all. Not everything has to be shared with the world as entertainment. Tahara is one of the most sacred traditions in Yiddishkeit. Why does it have to be part of a tv show, especially when performed by people with zero connection to actual Yiddishkeit? It's like when people with no clue make movies and have chassidish men and women hold hands and dance around the Shabbos table (5 points for whoever can identify that one LOL ).

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 10:57 pm
kenz wrote:
I actually didn't like it at all. Not everything has to be shared with the world as entertainment. Tahara is one of the most sacred traditions in Yiddishkeit. Why does it have to be part of a tv show, especially when performed by people with zero connection to actual Yiddishkeit? It's like when people with no clue make movies and have chassidish men and women hold hands and dance around the Shabbos table (5 points for whoever can identify that one LOL ).

It's very entertaining. That's all they care about.

provent

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 11:00 pm
kenz wrote:

That’s hilarious.
What movie is that on?

kenz

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 11:07 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
It's very entertaining. That's all they care about.

Yes, I know. And I don't expect "them" to feel differently, but I'm surprised so many frum women liked it. It feels very intrusive to me.

kenz

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 11:10 pm
provent wrote:
That’s hilarious.
What movie is that on?

Aw, so soon? No guesses? Laugh
It was A Stranger Among Us - I laughed through at least 2/3 of that movie, it was so off-base, but these movies do us a tremendous disservice, IMO. To someone who doesn't know better, we look like real wackos, to say the least. Admittedly some of our traditions can seem strange but they also have meaning and spirituality. In a movie you don't get anything but the strangeness.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 1:15 am
I've never loved how Grey's features Orthodox Jews. Remember the girl way back who refused to get a porcine valve because "pig is treif"?? They made her so obnoxious and I'm pretty sure Jews are allowed to get porcine valves! Then they get a female rabbi to "bless" her before surgery, even though she's supposedly Orthodox?

Anyway, this was better than that, I guess, but still felt off to me...

watergirl

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 6:31 am
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
I didn't watch it, but AFAIK many taharos are done with a mikvah alternative, "Tisha Kabin" - water poured in a continuous stream over the meis.

Correct. I used to be part of a chevra kadisha and this is what was done. Its all minhag hamakom, almost no halacha.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 4:03 pm
They didn't make the Chevra Kadisha look good--they never showed up! Maybe they showed up really late after they already decided to do the tahara themselves?

I don't know enough to say if it was accurate. At least it looked solemn and appropriate. Not a mockery like A Stranger Among Us, or the porcine valve replacement.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 6:36 pm
also that woman OB in saving hope. Dr katz maybe?
she was engaged to her chosson and he ended up admitting he ate pork.. I was like of pfftt.. could you pick a more cliche sin...

kenz

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 7:13 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
They didn't make the Chevra Kadisha look good--they never showed up! Maybe they showed up really late after they already decided to do the tahara themselves?

I don't know enough to say if it was accurate. At least it looked solemn and appropriate. Not a mockery like A Stranger Among Us, or the porcine valve replacement.

Yes, I thought of that too - maybe they didn't want to start bringing in fake Orthodox Jews, which is to their credit.
Ok, I can concede that they tried to do it respectfully, but my feeling is just including it as a story line is disrespectful to begin with. And, honestly, kind of boring.

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 7:35 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
I've never loved how Grey's features Orthodox Jews. Remember the girl way back who refused to get a porcine valve because "pig is treif"?? They made her so obnoxious and I'm pretty sure Jews are allowed to get porcine valves! Then they get a female rabbi to "bless" her before surgery, even though she's supposedly Orthodox?

Anyway, this was better than that, I guess, but still felt off to me...

That was probably THE worst story line of Greys. I literally cringed through the entire thing.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 7:41 pm
Can someone post a link?

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 7:47 pm
If anyone watches new Amsterdam, next week’s episode is titled sabbath and it looks like it’s about a frum family

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 11:21 pm
I watched both episodes mentioned here: Grey's Anatomy and New Amsterdam.
I was not at all impressed by Levi's story. I hated it. Maybe because of the characters and the way they were portrayed.
New Amsterdam I actually did like. I know it's a typical eating non kosher storyline but I liked it so much better.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics