Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Help with my pesach menu
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 7:25 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
When do you bake chicken bottoms? In advance and rewarm? Does it taste good that way?
As I said, my oven will be on 200 so baking fresh means doing it that low. How do I e en do that safely?

200 is fine. That's the temperature the crockpot cooks on.
Uncovered chicken legs can bake at 200 for 7 hours.
Whole boneless chicken breasts can bake at 200 for 3 hours. Brush with oil then season generously with a spice mix of salt, paprika, garlic powder on all sides.

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Feb 11 2020, 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 7:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Please don't get upset that I'm talking about pesach.

I have no idea why some people start to clean 2 months in advance because how in the world would it stay clean?

But things like planning my menu and planning all my orders- that makes so much sense to do an advance while I have time to think about.

I have a houseful and a newborn BH and no hired help and I'm going back to work soon so I won't have time to think about this later. I also live out of town and I have to order my food soon anyway.

Here goes:
1.Please help me figure out what to serve for shabbos on pesach- the 3rd day of the 3 day yuntif.

I have only made pesach at home a few times. The pesach chulents I tried to make were awful. Can anyone tell me how to make a yummy one without kitnius?

Or other ideas of what to eat that lunch?

2. I will have a crock pot on low and an oven on 190 or 200. I can't put anything in the oven on shabbos, but I can bake something at a low temp Friday afternoon for Friday night. What can I safely bake at a low temp?

Also, I would like to hear your favorite pesach recipes stam. I like simple, healthy and not too expensive.

Hatzlacha to us all!

Last few years I've been makeing a yapchick for shabbos lunch. It's a huge hit. Kids like it better than the potato meat cholent.
There are tons of yapchik recipes on this site.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 7:50 pm
little neshamala wrote:
I dont cook on YT either but ive always stuck with foods I know are easy to rewarm like meat....
Youve frozen and reheated cooked chicken bottoms? Schnitzel? How? Can you give me details on how you warmed it, like do you let it defrost first, or put straight in oven? What temp? Covered or uncovered?
Have you ever done that with potato blintzes?
I need all the advice on reheating I can get!!

I defrost everything on the counter till it's room temperature and then put it on the hotplate to warm up. The trick to frozen food tasting fresh is to defrost it on the counter to room temperature, no defrosting in the oven or hot plate.

little neshamala

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 8:14 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
I defrost everything on the counter till it's room temperature and then put it on the hotplate to warm up. The trick to frozen food tasting fresh is to defrost it on the counter to room temperature, no defrosting in the oven or hot plate.

Youve done this with chicken bottoms? And they tasted fresh? Ive always heard you can never freeze cooked chicken lol im in disbelief

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 8:18 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Shredded potato cholent comes out amazing. Try it.

Something that can bake slowly in the oven on Friday is shredded beef. Or a rotisserie chicken. Par-boiled baby potatoes can be placed in a pan near that pan of beef/chicken to slow bake as well. You call also slow bake a one pan minute steak and Yukon gold potato slice dish. For vegetables, serve cold cucumber salad, cole slaw, carrot salad, beef salad - all can be made ahead of time and refrigerated.

Most of what I cook on pesach is what I cook all year. What does your family like during the year?

How do you bake shredded beef?
Also- how do you bake one pan minute steak?
Both sounds delicious

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 8:20 pm
little neshamala wrote:
Youve done this with chicken bottoms? And they tasted fresh? Ive always heard you can never freeze cooked chicken lol im in disbelief

Yes, I've done this with chicken bottoms.
I always freeze chicken bottoms, I never heard that it's not good to freeze. It's probably the easiest thing to freeze. You have to make sure it has enough liquid.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 10:11 pm
I never freeze cooked chicken... but I clean and spice raw chicken and freeze. Just pop the pan in oven when you are ready to eat it that day!

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 11:19 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
How do you bake shredded beef?
Also- how do you bake one pan minute steak?
Both sounds delicious

Pulled beef: sliced onion, brisket or top of the rib roast, smear with oil, crushed garlic and salt. Add 1/2 cup boiling water around bottom of pan. At 200, bake for 8 hours. Shred with 2 forks. Add some of your favorite sauce and mix again.

Minute Steak: toss 1/2 diced onion, 4 crushed garlic cloves and 5 sliced Yukon gold potatoes with a drop of oil and season with paprika, black pepper & 2 teaspoons salt. Lay minute steaks on top. Smear with some more oil and 2 crushed garlic cloves. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and sprinkle with paprika. Top with the other 1/2 of the onion cut into rings.
Cover and bake at 200 for 8 hours.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 12:13 am
ra_mom wrote:
Shredded potato cholent comes out amazing. Try it.

Recipe, please!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 11:25 am
ra_mom wrote:
200 is fine. That's the temperature the crockpot cooks on.
Uncovered chicken legs can bake at 200 for 7 hours.
Whole boneless chicken breasts can bake at 200 for 3 hours. Brush with oil then season generously with a spice mix of salt, paprika, garlic powder on all sides.

Hi thanks! I always,cover my chicken legs in the oven. How long should they bake on 200 if I cover them?
And the cutlets?
Much appreciated!

mfb

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 11:31 am
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
Recipe, please!

I don’t have a recipe but I add a few shredded potatoes and to make it even tastier I use chicken soup instead of water.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 11:36 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi thanks! I always,cover my chicken legs in the oven. How long should they bake on 200 if I cover them?
And the cutlets?
Much appreciated!

Don't cover the cutlets.
You can cover the chicken legs and bake up to 8 hours.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 11:37 am
Can someone post an,easy yapchick? Can I cook,in the crockpot and the reheat in the oven a couple days later?

Odelyah

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 11:51 am
Hi for shabbos lunch on pesach I always make lamb stew. It is a treat we look forward to and a welcome change from all the beef we have at the other seudos. (it is also simpler than yapchik because no grating)

also mazel tov on your baby!! and I appreciated your disclaimer btw Wink and the fact you knew it was necessary made me smile Very Happy hatzlacha I'm sure you will have a beautiful pesach with your beautiful family!

sky

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 11:51 am
I do cholent and yapchik in the oven

Cholent - double aluminum roaster size pan - lots of onions and potatoes. A carrot. Spices depending on what you use: lots of salt. Lots of onion powder. Garlic powder. Pepper. Paprika. Ketchup. Brown sugar or honey.
I like to stick in home made khishka. Add meat. Cover with water. Cover tightly and place in oven (on cookie sheet in case it leaks).

For yapchik I peel and grate potatoes on yom tov and bake in oven. This is the recipe I make: https://www.imamother.com/foru.....84689

I will probably serve an Apple based side dish with it.

Odelyah

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 11:54 am
sky I would love to hear about the apple based side dish when you have time (no rush Wink)

sky

amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can someone post an,easy yapchick? Can I cook,in the crockpot and the reheat in the oven a couple days later?

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....84689

Ive prepared yapchik in advance and reheated. But I really prefer it fresh - and I freeze almost everything in advance.

sky

Odelyah wrote:
sky I would love to hear about the apple based side dish when you have time (no rush Wink)

I’m not sure what I’ll make sorry - just figured it will be Apple kugel of some type. I can’t believe we are discussing pesach. Help!

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 12:02 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Pulled beef: sliced onion, brisket or top of the rib roast, smear with oil, crushed garlic and salt. Add 1/2 cup boiling water around bottom of pan. At 200, bake for 8 hours. Shred with 2 forks. Add some of your favorite sauce and mix again.

Minute Steak: toss 1/2 diced onion, 4 crushed garlic cloves and 5 sliced Yukon gold potatoes with a drop of oil and season with paprika, black pepper & 2 teaspoons salt. Lay minute steaks on top. Smear with some more oil and 2 crushed garlic cloves. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and sprinkle with paprika. Top with the other 1/2 of the onion cut into rings.
Cover and bake at 200 for 8 hours.

Thanks a lot! Will try both!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 12:12 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
Recipe, please!

Brush bottom of crockpot with oil, top with parchment paper so it sticks to the oil. Place a layer of meat bones, then top with meat. Add grated onion, then lots of grated potato, and finish off with a generous amount of salt. No water. Turn to crockpot to low and cook from Friday afternoon until shabbos afternoon. Delicious!

amother [ OP ] wrote:

This recipe is delish and can be prepped in advance. Put kugel batter in a mason jar or large container as early as Wednesday, with a paper towel on top before sealing, and only the paper towel will turn brown but not the kugel batter. Then put up fresh Friday.
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....81257
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics