Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Dilemma between two jobs...

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 5:51 pm
I have 2 job offers.
One, I waited so long for between paperwork, fingerprinting, etc... and finally got it. But discovered that the pay did not fit the job and it did not make sense for amount of hours I am working (they changed the amount on me last minute). However, the location is on my block and I can bring my baby... it's very convenient!
The second job has a better salary but is a 7 block walk away from my house and I need to find a babysitter. I feel that it does not make sense for me to pay a babysitter. They are so expensive and its will cost me half my salary.
To me both jobs are equally frustrating because I am losing money both ways.
Any suggestions?

precious

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 5:56 pm
Think long term about salary vs babysitting.

How old is your baby? Is this a daycare type of place where you can bring your baby long term till he's ready for school? Or an office where you can bring your baby now but soon will be too difficult and will need babysitting anyway.

The location may be a small convenience but I wouldn't take that into account when comparing pros and cons.

Which job would you enjoy more? Which has more potential for growth? Which is more flexible to your needs?

mommyhood

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 6:18 pm
What does it mean that the first job changed the amount last minute. It sounds very unprofessional and I would worry what else they might spring on you last minute.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 6:33 pm
mommyhood wrote:
What does it mean that the first job changed the amount last minute. It sounds very unprofessional and I would worry what else they might spring on you last minute.

It's a branch run by an agency. The agency is not so available and everyone is on a different page because each branch needs to keep referencing back to the top agency.
It's a little unprofessional I guess.

mommyX2

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 6:38 pm
is there job growth at either for long term?

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 11:14 pm
The babysitter aspect is huge since it would take a chunk out of your paycheck.

forgetit

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 11:28 pm
I would take the one where I can bring my baby for now and keep an eye out on other opportunities for when my baby is older. You're not marrying the job.
For me to be with my baby is huge, babysitter expense aside.

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 11:52 pm
Look for a for third option maybe..

tichellady

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 1:13 am
How will you work with your baby around? It sounds stressful to me

ora_43

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 2:40 am
I think the second option, the one farther away, sounds like it might be better in the long term.

- Higher salary now puts you on track for a better salary in the long term.

- I can't imagine that taking your baby to work will be possible for more than a few months either way.

- The other place sounds a bit disorganized, at best.

That said, you have a young baby, so if your gut feeling is that you need to do what's easier for now, that's also fine. Don't take the second job if it's going to feel like a constant struggle and you won't feel well compensated.

(You didn't mention job responsibilities, job title, benefits, office culture, management, etc, so I'm answering as if all those other factors are equal. But if they aren't, I suggest looking at those factors, too.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics