Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Soon By You
Previous  1  2  3  4

dancingqueen

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 7:46 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:

On another note, I found the part where David feeds Sara F. The ice cream cone a bit too intimate for my comfort level. Come to think of it, in the previous episode, they had them staring into each others eyes in the back of a taxi for a long time. Kind of weird.

I don’t know if you ever dated but both are pretty normal.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 10:42 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
Another line that really irked me:
At the end, when David and Sara are talking about why Sara kept Joey's gayness a secret, he says, in a hurt, outraged tone, "What?? So I'm a rabbi, so you think that should dictate how I feel about things???"
Like, what??? Yes, as a rabbi you should feel and know that gay behavior is ossur. Torah should dictate how we feel about things!!
Of course, just being gay doesn't mean you are engaging in gay behavior, but I think the message was that just because he is a rabbi doenst mean he is old fashioned and intolerant...pretty bad insinuation, imo.

The MO community has some shuls (young ones, young rabbis and rebbetzins) which pride themselves on being accepting of this population. They feel that they can be there for them, as a support system.
If I would've written the script, I would've made that point, about the importance of a rabbi needing to understand the struggles.
Realize that while this is not a topic of conversation in the chareidi world, it is important that rabbis in the MO world show understanding since their constituents need it.
Honestly, I don't see any of David's behavior very 'rabbi like' Wink
Besides, did you forget that David himself crashed the wedding, with Z using said excuse?

Odelyah

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 10:42 pm
sequoia wrote:
Does anyone in which episode (in season 1) Ben was faced with a dilemma of working on shabbos or something?

that scene was so moving. I loved how Ben of all people (annoying, narcissistic and shallow seeming Ben!) was the one who was faced with this, and we were reminded that people are complex and often surprise us. It was very powerful and well done. Thumbs Up

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 10:54 pm
Odelyah wrote:
that scene was so moving. I loved how Ben of all people (annoying, narcissistic and shallow seeming Ben!) was the one who was faced with this, and we were reminded that people are complex and often surprise us. It was very powerful and well done. Thumbs Up

Agree. And he didn't give himself any credit for it. He felt like a jerk afterwards, and it took David of all people to cheer him up.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 11:01 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
The MO community has some shuls (young ones, young rabbis and rebbetzins) which pride themselves on being accepting of this population. They feel that they can be there for them, as a support system.
If I would've written the script, I would've made that point, about the importance of a rabbi needing to understand the struggles.
Realize that while this is not a topic of conversation in the chareidi world, it is important that rabbis in the MO world show understanding since their constituents need it.
Honestly, I don't see any of David's behavior very 'rabbi like' Wink
Besides, did you forget that David himself crashed the wedding, with Z using said excuse?

It's a sensitive situation, because the MO community is on the cusp of this whole thing blowing up. On the one hand they have to be accepting, on the other, they need to stay on the side of orthodoxy and halacha.
What bothered me specifically was the line - "being a rabbi does not dictate how I feel about things." If a rabbi doesnt understand that this is not about feelings but about halacha, who else should? If a rabbi can't subjugate his feelings to halacha, who else can?
And I agree, he doesnt act very rabbinic, but he is still young...he is learning for smicha..
And yes, I was bothered back in the wedding episode that they showed David and Z going as a married couple. I thought that was tasteless and inappropriate for a "frum" show.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics