Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Publicizing my yeshua
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 8:56 am
I lit a candle for R Menachem Mendel Ben Yosef for 40 days and davened to Hashem for a yeshua in parnassa. Our situation was unfortunately not good. BH during the 40 days we signed a tenant on a property that we had been unable to rent for complicated reasons for a couple of years. It came completely out of the blue and is a huge financial relief for us. I wanted to publicize my yeshua, as requested by the rebbe. Sometimes we see Hashem answering us in the way we'd like, and sometimes we don't. I'm so grateful that we were granted this yeshua!

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 9:42 am
wow! I'm in the middle of the 40 days. Thank you!

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 11:13 am
How exactly does this work? One day candle? Say something? What time of day? Ext. Pls share.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 12:57 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
How exactly does this work? One day candle? Say something? What time of day? Ext. Pls share.

Not sure how it's "supposed" to work, but I lit a tea light every night (after night fall) for 40 days and said it was lilui nishmas R Menachem Mendel Ben Yosef. I asked him to intervene on my behalf for a specific yeshua. I davened to Hashem for a yeshua. On Friday I lit the candle right before lighting shabbos candles. The yeshua is supposed to be publicized.

amother
Black

Post Sat, Feb 15 2020, 10:30 pm
Who is Rabbi Menachem Mendel ben Yosef?

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 12:53 am
I just wonder what u do on motza shabbos, do u still light? And what is if I forget and skipped one day of lighting?

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 8:36 am
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
I just wonder what u do on motza shabbos, do u still light? And what is if I forget and skipped one day of lighting?

After reading about this on this site, I also started lighting a candle.
I lit one on erev shabbos before I lit my shabbos candles and on motzei shabbos I lit before I went to sleep (same way I lit every night-).
The night begins the new day on the Jewish calendar. It happened once or twice that I forgot to light and I lit the next morning instead. This would obviously not work if you forgot to light on Friday night but I found Friday the easiest time to remember since I was lighting anyway and set up the tea lights with my shabbos candles.
BH I also saw a yeshua.
I think I read that R’ Menachem Mendel promised that whoever lights a candle for him for 40 days in a row , he will beseach Hashem for their bakasha. He also said to publicize it after.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 8:43 am
Do you think this will work, if you're not sure it will work? I kind of want to try it, but I'm also slightly skeptical. I daven to Hashem all the time, with deep emunah. Will this extra bit help, or will it just make me give the Rebbe credit when I should be thanking Hashem?

I should probably ask a rabbi about this.

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 8:52 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Do you think this will work, if you're not sure it will work? I kind of want to try it, but I'm also slightly skeptical. I daven to Hashem all the time, with deep emunah. Will this extra bit help, or will it just make me give the Rebbe credit when I should be thanking Hashem?

I took upon myself to say tehillim each day of the 40 days.
I figured I had nothing to loose and if R’ menachem mendel would intervene for me, even better! Ultimately, it’s from Hashem of course, but a neshama in shamayim is rooting for you too.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 5:11 am
Hi. Im trying this segula and davening for a certain yeshua. I'm prob three weeks in and tonight ms I forgot and awoke to my baby at abt 4 am on new clock and fast tzind then. Anyone that did this knows is this ok or do I need to start again???

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 5:32 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

Yes you should ask. Frantic Frummie I thought you were better than this. You can't manipulate G-d like this.

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 7:36 am
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
Hi. Im trying this segula and davening for a certain yeshua. I'm prob three weeks in and tonight ms I forgot and awoke to my baby at abt 4 am on new clock and fast tzind then. Anyone that did this knows is this ok or do I need to start again???

You are fine! It goes by the Jewish date so 10pm or 4am is the same day.

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 7:54 am
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
Yes you should ask. Frantic Frummie I thought you were better than this. You can't manipulate G-d like this.

The concept of a "meilitz yosher", someone to intercede in shamayim on behalf of people in this world, is an old idea with a strong mesorah. Asking a tzadik with a strong connection in shamayim to intervene for you is not "manipulating Hashem." Hashem cannot be manipulated. But Hashem holds a court of justice, do to speak, over every person, and allows "lawyers" to testify and put in a good word for others...and if you are Dan lekaf zchus in this world, more favorable intercession will occur for you in the next world, as we each ultimately decide our own fate. Just as a bais din of neshamos who were tzadikim in this world will hold your final court case, and be allowed to testify in your favor, a tzadik has offered that if you light a candle for him for 40 days and spread it around so others do the same, he will beseach Hashem to answer your request at the time of lighting. Please read books on Jewish prayer, like "Gates of Prayer" by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus for more insight into the World of Prayer, and how shamayim handles prayers, it will really help you understand how tefillah influences outcomes in your life.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 7:56 am
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
The concept of a "meilitz yosher", someone to intercede in shamayim on behalf of people in this world, is an old idea with a strong mesorah. Asking a tzadik with a strong connection in shamayim to intervene for you is not "manipulating Hashem." Hashem cannot be manipulated. But Hashem holds a court of justice, do to speak, over every person, and allows "lawyers" to testify and put in a good word for others...and if you are Dan lekaf zchus in this world, more favorable intercession will occur for you in the next world, as we each ultimately decide our own fate. Just as a bais din of neshamos who were tzadikim in this world will hold your final court case, and be allowed to testify in your favor, a tzadik has offered that if you light a candle for him for 40 days and spread it around so others do the same, he will beseach Hashem to answer your request at the time of lighting. Please read books on Jewish prayer, like "Gates of Prayer" by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus for more insight into the World of Prayer, and how shamayim handles prayers, it will really help you understand how tefillah influences outcomes in your life.

Please Google "novenas to St. Jude" for more insight into why this segula is so problematic.

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 8:18 am
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
Please Google "novenas to St. Jude" for more insight into why this segula is so problematic.

Ok, read it. I dont understand the concern...Christianity borrows many ideas from Judaism about spirituality and prayer. There are key differences in the way Christianity and Judaism approach divine intercession, the main one being that Christians pray to a person to help them (avodah zara) while Jews pray to Hashem ("Please Hashem, in the zchus of this tzadik," or "Please Hashem, allow this tzadik or this deceased relative to be a meilitz usher for me") We all know the practice of davening at kevarim of tzadikim so they will lend zechuyos to your tefillos... do you avoid that practice as well, because it might be seen as avoda zara ? I urge YOU to read and discuss with a talmid chocham, so the Jewish concepts of tefillah and spirituality dont become confused with Christianity. Have a freilichen Purim and may every person receive the yeshuos he needs at this time of kol haposhet yad!

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 8:54 am

You are very misguided for bringing this down.

pbandjelly

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 9:04 am
amother [ Black ] wrote:
Who is Rabbi Menachem Mendel ben Yosef?

Does anyone know?

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 9:12 am
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
You are very misguided for bringing this down.

Or maybe I care deeply about our religion.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 10:04 am
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
Ok, read it. I dont understand the concern...Christianity borrows many ideas from Judaism about spirituality and prayer. There are key differences in the way Christianity and Judaism approach divine intercession, the main one being that Christians pray to a person to help them (avodah zara) while Jews pray to Hashem ("Please Hashem, in the zchus of this tzadik," or "Please Hashem, allow this tzadik or this deceased relative to be a meilitz usher for me") We all know the practice of davening at kevarim of tzadikim so they will lend zechuyos to your tefillos... do you avoid that practice as well, because it might be seen as avoda zara ? I urge YOU to read and discuss with a talmid chocham, so the Jewish concepts of tefillah and spirituality dont become confused with Christianity. Have a freilichen Purim and may every person receive the yeshuos he needs at this time of kol haposhet yad!

Novenas to St Jude involve lighting a candle, saying a specific formula for nine days and then publicizing whatever good thing happened because of it. (There are classified ads in many newspapers devoted to this.)

And Christians have been doing this since the twelfth century, way before R. Menachem Mendel of Riminov was born. This segula looks like an exact copy of Christian folk religion. We're not talking about davening at the kever of a tzaddik. We're talking about imitating the rituals of Christian worship.

I would imagine that people who are careful about chukas hagoy in other areas of life would not wish to bring Christian worship into their homes.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 11:34 am
Novenas to St Jude involve lighting a candle, saying a specific formula for nine days and then publicizing whatever good thing happened because of it. (There are classified ads in many newspapers devoted to this.)

And Christians have been doing this since the twelfth century, way before R. Menachem Mendel of Riminov was born. This segula looks like an exact copy of Christian folk religion. We're not talking about davening at the kever of a tzaddik. We're talking about imitating the rituals of Christian worship.

I would imagine that people who are careful about chukas hagoy in other areas of life would not wish to bring Christian worship into their homes.

So your issue is with the number of days and publicizing it after the fact? Because lighting a candle and asking Hashem for help in the merit of a tzaddik are definitely well established and brought down by numerous seforim. They are standard when visiting a kever or on the yahrtzeit of the tzaddik.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics