Home

Is this a thing outside imamother?
  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  Last >>

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

itsmeima

Post  Thu, Feb 13 2020, 11:50 pm
Fox wrote:
Not sure if you're referring to rabbonim speaking in such terms or others quoting them, but the answer is most definitely yes.

And it's not unique to Trump. We learn that Hashem guides the hands of those in power -- sometimes to help us and sometimes to send us a message.

At the worst moments of the Obama administration, there were tons of speeches and op-eds hypothisizing whtmessage Hashem was trying to send us.

Same during the Iraqi invasion under President Bush. Of course, they had plenty to say about President Clinton.

In fact, I'm old enough to remember rabbinic analysis of President Nixon: should we despise him for his personal antisemitism or honor him for his end to discrimination against Jews in the federal government?

The only rabbonim I'm aware of who shy away from the topic are those who are paid directly by their audience and are thus afraid of offending their constituents.

That's so interesting! I don't think I've ever heard a Rav bringing up the President in such a way. The first time I heard about it was here...

pause

Post  Thu, Feb 13 2020, 11:56 pm
itsmeima wrote:
I think that's really sweet!

Thanks! But to give credit where credit is due, I got the idea from DVOM.

malki2

Post  Fri, Feb 14 2020, 12:01 am
itsmeima wrote:
I must confess, I don't really know Trump supporters - Is this a thing outside I'm imamother?

I’m curious as to what state (or country) you live in, that you actually don’t know any Trump supporters.

b.chadash

Post  Fri, Feb 14 2020, 12:05 am
malki2 wrote:
I’m curious as to what state (or country) you live in, that you actually don’t know any Trump supporters.

Practically everyone I know is a Trump supporter as well. Supposedly he has over 90 % support from the orthodox community.

malki2

Post  Fri, Feb 14 2020, 12:12 am
Perhaps you should educate yourself. Start here:

The Facts About Trump That Are Deadly For Democrats

I & I Editorial Board
February 12, 2020

The Democrats have stayed true to their talking points, calling Trump a “monster,” a “white supremacist,” and a “dictator” at every opportunity. While campaigning in New Hampshire, Joe Biden said the president “doesn’t have a shred of decency in him.” Former South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg wants to convince voters “this election is a decency check on this president.” Tom Steyer, who apparently didn’t wish to strain his vocabulary’s limits, simply says Trump is “a bad man.”

None of those charges would stick, though, if the electorate knew that:

In 1986, Trump helped stop the foreclosure of Annabel Hill’s family farm in Georgia. He contributed $39,000 toward the money she needed to pay off the mortgage.

Two years later, Trump sent his personal jet to fly 3-year-old Andrew Ten (Also Jewish) across the country for critical medical care after commercial airlines refused to allow his life-support system on board.

In 2000, Trump gave a “generous” check to the family of a young girl named Megan, who was suffering from Brittle Bone Disease. He saw her on the Maury Povich show and was moved.
Trump not only allowed actress Jennifer Hudson, who is black, and her family to stay free at his Trump International Hotel & Tower in Chicago after her mother and brother were murdered in 2008, he apparently increased security for them.

Three years before winning the presidency, Trump gave a $10,000 check to bus driver Darnell Barton, who stopped a suicidal woman from jumping off an overpass in Buffalo.
A year later, Trump wrote a $25,000 check to retired Marine Sgt. Andrew Tahmooressi, who had been in a Mexican jail for seven months. While carrying loaded weapons, he had made a wrong turn on a California freeway that forced him into the Tijuana port of entry with no way to turn back. Trump sent the money to help Tahmooressi “get back on his feet.”
These examples, which have been independently verified, were first compiled along with others at Townhall by Liz Crokin. As an entertainment journalist, Crokin “had the opportunity to cover Trump for over a decade,” and in all of those years, she “never heard anything negative about the man until he announced he was running for president.”

“Trump’s kindness knows no bounds and his generosity has and continues to touch the lives of people from every relations, race and religion,” she wrote. “When Trump sees someone in need, he wants to help.”

Of course Trump’s acts of kindness, wildly inconsistent with his public persona, aren’t predictive of a successful presidency. But they don’t fit the outlandish caricatures sketched out by his opponents, and are therefore dangerous to their agenda.

sushilover

Post  Fri, Feb 14 2020, 12:18 am
I haven't heard people speaking like that irl.

But that's the beauty of imamother. I get to broaden my horizons. I don't agree with everything my fellow right wing posters here say, but I appreciate hearing their point of view.

For that matter, some of what the more liberal posters have said have shocked me too, but I still appreciate hearing their opinions.

mommy2379

Post  Fri, Feb 14 2020, 12:28 am
It's called the silent majority for a reason.

Jeanette

Post  Fri, Feb 14 2020, 12:32 am
Why is it called the silent majority if they never won a majority of votes?

mommy2379

Post  Fri, Feb 14 2020, 12:37 am
Jeanette wrote:
Why is it called the silent majority if they never won a majority of votes?

The won the majorities that matter to elect a president, so the rest is history.

I also don't really know people who LOVE trump irl. Most people I know appreciate what he's done for Israel but never fully embrace the president because...he's Donald Trump.

Jeanette

Post  Fri, Feb 14 2020, 12:39 am
mommy2379 wrote:
The won the majorities that matter to elect a president, so the rest is history.

I also don't really know people who LOVE trump irl. Most people I know appreciate what he's done for Israel but never fully embrace the president because...he's Donald Trump.

So... the silent electoral majority?

Why do you think they call it the silent majority?

Do you agree or disagree with the sentiments quoted in the OP?

mommy2379

Post  Fri, Feb 14 2020, 12:51 am
Jeanette wrote:
So... the silent electoral majority?

Why do you think they call it the silent majority?

Do you agree or disagree with the sentiments quoted in the OP?

I believe the current silent majority is the less outspoken, far less vocal, middle class middle American's who don't engage in political discussions the same way fiery young dem's do, but will cast their vote just the same come Novemeber-- for Trump. The same way they voted last election. We forget how many they are and what a large percentage of American's they make up when most writers, bloggers, news sites, intellectuals are Democrats.

I do not feel we need to be personally makir tov the president. again, I appreciate what he's done for Israel, but also again- he's Donald Trump.

Jeanette

Post  Fri, Feb 14 2020, 1:01 am
That's interesting because they've been calling themselves the silent majority for 50 years but the presidency has shifted pretty regularly from R to D and back. We had an R president 1980-92, a D president from 1993-2000, an R president from 2001-2008, a D president from 2009-2016, and now an R. Is there really a silent majority or maybe the country is just very evenly divided and even small fluctuations like 70,000 votes in 3 key states can swing an election?

mommy2379

Post  Fri, Feb 14 2020, 1:50 am
Jeanette wrote:
That's interesting because they've been calling themselves the silent majority for 50 years but the presidency has shifted pretty regularly from R to D and back. We had an R president 1980-92, a D president from 1993-2000, an R president from 2001-2008, a D president from 2009-2016, and now an R. Is there really a silent majority or maybe the country is just very evenly divided and even small fluctuations like 70,000 votes in 3 key states can swing an election?

Fair point.

southernbubby

Post  Fri, Feb 14 2020, 3:06 am
Didn't we all email our thanks to the White House after the release of SMR haLevi?

The frum print media usually supports President Trump.

b.chadash

Post  Fri, Feb 14 2020, 5:00 am
Jeanette wrote:

According to wikipedia, The silent majority refers to an unspecified large group of people in a country or group who do not express their opinions publicly. Its doesn't refer to any specific party.

fleetwood

Post  Fri, Feb 14 2020, 5:45 am
Wouldn't it be great to hear from those adversely affected by President Trump. Such as those who were scammed by his Trump University. Or those,who lived in any of his buildings,such as my family who has lived in Trump village for my whole life. Yes,he helped some,however,he also hurt some. Yes,he's done good,but also done bad.

itsmeima

Post  Fri, Feb 14 2020, 6:46 am
malki2 wrote:
Please explain what Trump has done adversely regarding each of these things and how you are personally affected.

Again, I look at the big picture!

Trump has done nothing, absolutely nothing for the environment, nothing! He just undid a whole bunch of laws.

Abortion goes under freedom of religion! My rights to have an abortion (ch’v) if my Rav paskens... We aren't Christians, we shouldn't be practicing their laws (as much as Ben Shapiro would like to claim so)!

“See, I don’t think that the mainstream media is free speech either because it’s so crooked. It’s so dishonest. So to me, free speech is not when you see something good and then you purposely write bad. To me, that’s very dangerous speech, and you become angry at it. But that’s not free speech.” I know, isn't that funny? He's repeated this line way too many times - it's scary!

Oh and let's pretend the administration didn't just cut down on Medicaid and food stamps!

Last edited by itsmeima on Fri, Feb 14 2020, 6:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Simple1

Post  Fri, Feb 14 2020, 6:55 am
itsmeima wrote:
I must confess, I don't really know Trump supporters - Is this a thing outside I'm imamother?

Quote:
I am curious to know what you have done personally to be makir tov to President Trump for setting free your fellow Jew, Sholom Mordechai Rubashkin?

Quote:
I totally believe, as Rabbonim and others have said, this great man’s presidency is not a natural phenomenon, and especially considering Dems’ intense, non stop and thankfully fruitless efforts to harm him and stop him, it’s crystal clear he was sent directly from Hashem, and hopefully will turn out to be the righteous gentile the Torah describes will help herald in the era of Moshiach.

Quote:
I’d suggest you get in touch with Rav Reisman or any of the other many Rabbonim who’ve spoken extensively on the phenomenon of Trump and his place in G-d’s Plan for some outside perspective which might actually convince you, if you believe in daas Torah.

Do people really talk that way nowadays? I've never heard anyone talk about a president that way - have you?

Absolutely, I've heard these things in real life. I did not vote for Trump. I'll be voting for him this time.

But when he won, even though he wasn't my candidate at the time, I clearly saw how this was from Hashem, as it was so bizarrely unnatural.

itsmeima

Post  Fri, Feb 14 2020, 6:55 am
malki2 wrote:

I know? Isn't it weird to meet an American that doesn't support Trump?

These days I live in Canada. My family members and friends in the US are all Republicans (I’m not). Most chose not to vote, my father voted for Trump but is kind of horrified that he did.

I've never met a true Trump supporter IRL!

And you?

malki2

Post  Fri, Feb 14 2020, 7:57 am
itsmeima wrote:
I know? Isn't it weird to meet an American that doesn't support Trump?

These days I live in Canada. My family members and friends in the US are all Republicans (I’m not). Most chose not to vote, my father voted for Trump but is kind of horrified that he did.

I've never met a true Trump supporter IRL!

And you?

NJ
  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 2 of 8 View latest: 24h 48h 72h