Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Going crazy
1  2  3  Next

SuperWify

Post Sat, Feb 15 2020, 9:43 pm
He keeps climbing out of the crib!!

I know it’s normal and I should be happy he’s only discovering this trick now but... how can I make him stay in?

Ema of 5

Post Sat, Feb 15 2020, 9:45 pm
SuperWify wrote:
He keeps climbing out of the crib!!

I know it’s normal and I should be happy he’s only discovering this trick now but... how can I make him stay in?

You can’t....

ra_mom

Post Sat, Feb 15 2020, 9:47 pm
Might be time for a toddler bed...
They grow up so fast ka"h!

hodeez

Post Sat, Feb 15 2020, 10:00 pm
What age? Might be time to take off the bars

SuperWify

Post Sat, Feb 15 2020, 11:25 pm
He’s almost three.

So I put a lock thing on the door and watched him from the camera. He climbed out.. tried to open the door and then waved at the camera screaming mommy, mommy. Obviously I went to him hugged him. He was shaking , I felt so bad Sad

I put him and told him I’ll keep the door open if he does not climb out.

It’s been a loong bedtime.

Why would a toddler bed help? Hell just come out of that.

honeymoon

Post Sat, Feb 15 2020, 11:26 pm
How old is he? My 2 1/2 year old is in a toddler bed for several months already because she kept coming out. Ironically, she hardly comes out at night since she's in her toddler bed. stolen waters, I guess.....

amother
Firebrick

Post Sat, Feb 15 2020, 11:27 pm
You need to teach him that at bedtime it's time to stay in bed Smile Rewards work well. Let him know that if he stays in his bed until it's sunny outside (or whatever cue you want to give him) he will get something special that he really likes.

ETA I'm assuming you'll be toilet training him soon, in which case he'll need to be able to go use the bathroom when he needs it. So locking him in the room or using a gate won't work for long anyway.

Stars

Post Sat, Feb 15 2020, 11:30 pm
Don't lock his door.

You can put a baby gate at the door. Switch him to a toddler bed and hope he puts himself to sleep at some point. You can try a boring tiring bedtime routine like shema then a story or two then a book in bed. Keep it consistent, that's the main thing.

amother
Cerise

Post Sat, Feb 15 2020, 11:31 pm
Once a child starts climbing out of their crib, it's their of communicating with you that they r ready for a bed.
Transfering to a bed from a crib is a milestone so Mazel Tov!
Hatzlacha!

Rappel

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 12:02 am
He stayed in a crib until he was 2.5? You lucky devil! Time to teach a new bedtime routine though. You'll just have to calmly and firmly return him to his bed each time he gets out of it. Each night, you'll need to do it less.

agreer

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 12:17 am
I put my baby's mattress on the floor. Like totally on the floor. Unhooked it from the crib frame, but the wire part down on the floor and the mattress on top of it. My sister did the same and it worked for her baby too.

trixx

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 12:24 am
This old fashioned attitude bothers me so much.
He's almost 3, he's able to climb out of a crib so the solution is to lock him up in it?? He should have been out of a crib ages ago. He can easily be taught how to stay in a bed. From experience

waterfall

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 12:43 am
My son started trying to climb on the gate so before he learned to climb out and hurt himself I changed him to a toddler bed and he Bh stays inside.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 12:45 am
SuperWify wrote:
He’s almost three.

So I put a lock thing on the door and watched him from the camera. He climbed out.. tried to open the door and then waved at the camera screaming mommy, mommy. Obviously I went to him hugged him. He was shaking , I felt so bad Sad

Because it will stop the power struggle. He won't feel locked in and you will come to terms with this new stage. Smile

trixx

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 1:15 am
SuperWify wrote:
He’s almost three.

Put him in a bed. Tell him if he stays in bed the door stays open. He'll run out. With no emotion (anger, frustration) close the door and repeat "stay in bed and door stays open" (phrase it positively as in what WILL happen)
Be prepared for an hour of this limit testing the first night. Repeat it calmly.
20 min the second night. 5 min the 3rd night. Within a week you're good.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 2:52 am
NEVER EVER lock a child in a room! Do not scare a helpless child like that. Oh my.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 3:19 am
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
NEVER EVER lock a child in a room! Do not scare a helpless child like that. Oh my.

But what if child comes out middle of night and does something dangerous?I'm talking abt closing door as oppose to locking. Obviously dont lock it.

Teomima

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 3:28 am
While you do want to work on teaching him to stay in bed, you can't force it, and bars on the crib are just a hazard if he can climb out. It's time to take them off (if your crib converts, or just move him to a toddler bed).

As for teaching him to stay in bed, it's one of those silently-put-him-back-over-and-over-and-over-again (and over and over and over and over... you'll have a few sleepless nights but it works eventually). Do NOT lock a child up though.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 3:34 am
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
But what if child comes out middle of night and does something dangerous?I'm talking abt closing door as oppose to locking. Obviously dont lock it.

I didn't say not to close the door, I said not to lock it.
If the child comes out and does something dangerous you have to figure something else out, is it better to completely ruin the child emotionally by scaring them and shaking their foundation of security/attachment? That is something everyone needs to figure out themselves according to their circumstances. But I would try to first figure something else out like baby proofing the house or using a video camera or sleeping with the child...

To OP: try to keep in mind that everything is a passing stage and this will soon be over. You CAN do it without locking him in (where's the muscle emoji?!). All the power to you. Heart

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 3:43 am
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
I didn't say not to close the door, I said not to lock it.
If the child comes out and does something dangerous you have to figure something else out, is it better to completely ruin the child emotionally by scaring them and shaking their foundation of security/attachment? That is something everyone needs to figure out themselves according to their circumstances. But I would try to first figure something else out like baby proofing the house or using a video camera or sleeping with the child...

To OP: try to keep in mind that everything is a passing stage and this will soon be over. You CAN do it without locking him in (where's the muscle emoji?!). All the power to you. Heart

I still haven't found a solution to that so as of now my 2 y.o sleeps in my room with door locked.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics