Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Bais yaakov of Boro Park- crowd

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 1:03 pm
Hi all,
My daughter will be entering nursery next year and I would like to know more about Bais yaakov, and if I belong there, or will feel comfortable there.
I didn't grow up in New York, and went to a Bais yaakov where I grew up, and I am chasidish. My husbands first language is Yiddish.
We so far speak Yiddish at home. I did not grow up very chasidish.
I would love to hear more. Are there more chasidish parents in Bais yaakov? Will I feel comfortable? Are there Yiddish speaking classes in nursery?
Thank you!

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 1:14 pm
It is a big mix of BP, Kensington, Bensonhurst and Flatbush. From chassidish families to yeshivish families, probably a little more than half are chassidish bais yaakov families. There is no Yiddish in nursery, just English, but Yiddish and Hebrew words and songs are taught. Very well rounded school.

bsy

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 4:10 pm
Plenty of chassidish kids. Many teachers use Yiddish words when teaching or talking to the kids, to the point that my English speaking daughter wouldn't understand everything. Sounds like you'll fit right in.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 5:24 pm
Sounds like a good fit.
My daughter was in one nursery and she came home with quite a few Yiddish songs around yomim tovim. We ended up switching her class (for various reasons, not just this) and now she's in an English speaking only class. Really depends on the Morah and on the class, but not officially divided by language, more by birthday and location. Honestly I was a bit reluctant at first as well, the crowd seemed too "mixed" and the school too "big" but so far I've been pretty impressed. Pass the school at drop off/ pick up, walk the hallways, get a vibe see what you think.
I find them very professional and very eager to work with whatever your child may need.
The one rule that does irk me is that kids (grade N-8) may not access the internet at all. Tuition is also slightly on the steeper end for a BP school, but cheaper than the flatbush ones. If you post your screen name I would dm you more if you wanted.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics