Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
How to curl hair?

Frumwithallergies

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 8:19 pm
The title says it all.
DD 11 will soon be bas mitzvah b'h. She has very long hair that doesn't hold a curl well. The curling iron works but the curls done last long.

1. What brand or model do you recommend for a curling iron?

2 . What products do you recommend before, during and after to help the curls hold?

I'm open to any and all advice!
TIA! Smile

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 8:29 pm
I find the wand works better than the iron. No idea what the brand is. Mazel Tov

happyfaces

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 8:49 pm
Mazel tov

babyliss pro is great. Going layer by layer starting from the bottom damp her hair with tresemme moose them curl her hair in that order test to make sure the hair is ready by touching the top of the hair to check if it's hot then twist it out. For hair that is very straight I like to spray each layer after curling while separating the curls. Hope its clear. For super all night hold use got2b hairspray as a last step when hair is set to your liking.

Last edited by happyfaces on Sun, Feb 16 2020, 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Frumwithallergies

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 9:13 pm
happyfaces wrote:
Mazel tov

babyliss pro is great. Going layer by layer starting from the bottom damp her hair with tresemme moose them curl her hair in that order test to make sure the hair is ready by touching the top of the hair to check it it's hot then twist it out. For hair that is very straight I like to spray each layer after curling while separating the curls. Hope its clear. For super all night hold use got2b hairspray as a last step when hair is set to your liking.

That's so helpful! Thanks. I'm going to the drugstore to pick up everything so I can do a dry run!

happyfaces

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 9:24 pm
Frumwithallergies wrote:
That's so helpful! Thanks. I'm going to the drugstore to pick up everything so I can do a dry run!

With pleasure! Good luck

nchr

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 4:26 am
Make sure you curl the front pieces each toward her face, but all other curls should be rotated, one clockwise one counterclockwise to give a better look.

Frumwithallergies

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 4:29 am
nchr wrote:
Make sure you curl the front pieces each toward her face, but all other curls should be rotated, one clockwise one counterclockwise to give a better look.

Thank you.
I'll just be grateful if the curls hold since her hair doesn't take to the curls easily. But I will try to pay attention to the curls direction.

Frumwithallergies

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 5:08 am
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
I find the wand works better than the iron. No idea what the brand is. Mazel Tov

Thank you!

mammale

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 5:10 am
happyfaces wrote:
Mazel tov

babyliss pro is great. Going layer by layer starting from the bottom damp her hair with tresemme moose them curl her hair in that order test to make sure the hair is ready by touching the top of the hair to check if it's hot then twist it out. For hair that is very straight I like to spray each layer after curling while separating the curls. Hope its clear. For super all night hold use got2b hairspray as a last step when hair is set to your liking.

Doesn't curling wet hair with product make it more likely to burn?

happyfaces

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 5:44 am
mammale wrote:
Doesn't curling wet hair with product make it more likely to burn?

Your not curling wet hair your damping it.

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 11:51 am
This was such a helpful post. I have only tried curling my daughters hair a few times, because it doesn't hold a curl well (neither did my hair when I was a girl). I did find it worked a drop better when after each curl that I curled, I held the curl in my hand (like a flattened slinky) and sprayed it and held it for a few minutes to dry. Not sure if that is clear.

Frumwithallergies

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 7:31 am
Sooooooo motzei shabbos was practice night.
I followed all instructions, bought the products and spent one hour curling.

My dd has such loooooong hair (she is tall and it is down to her waist). It looked so beautiful with the hair spray for all of 30 minutes, then gone (I bought two Got2B sprays).

Is this mission impossible? Am I missing something? Should I keep the curl on the iron for longer?

I have one more week to practice.
TIA

Frumwithallergies

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 7:15 pm
Update:
It took me 1:45 hrs to curl her hair, but my daughter's hair held curls beautifully for the whole night of dancing after her ceremony!

Thank you to all who gave me advice! The following techniques worked:
I used a small, thin (30 year old) curling iron alternating with a fatter iron, both set on high heat, starting with clean, dry hair. Because her hair is so long, I actually thinned it a bit before starting. I did very small chunks of hair at a time. I didn't like the wand as much as the iron. After I culred a few strands, I held the curl in my hand and sprayed with Got2B.

I got many compliments as did my daughter! My daughter was ecstatic to have curls. It made the hours of trial and error worth it.
Thanks again to everyone who chimed in!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics