Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Exchanged pacifier for thumb

holylandgirl

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 2:51 am
We finally got rid of dd's(3.5) pacifier. She got a gift and was fine. A few days later she started sucking her thumb a lot and it's become a replacement for her paci.
She had been sucking her thumb a bit before this, she must've seen friends doing it.
I think she was ready to get rid of the pacifier, it would've taken her a few days, but because she knew this was an option to soothe her instead, it took its place.

Should I get her a new pacifier, which at least I can take away at times? Otoh now that she has the thumb she might just use that whenever the pacifier's not available...

I feel like we're in a worse place than before, I find the thumb sucking so gross and it's all day Sad

banana123

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 3:05 am
Give her back the paci.

In my experience when you give back the paci they give up the thumb. You can offer the new paci on condition that she not suck her thumb and ask her preschool teacher to report to you every day.

holylandgirl

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 3:08 am
banana123 wrote:
Give her back the paci.

In my experience when you give back the paci they give up the thumb. You can offer the new paci on condition that she not suck her thumb and ask her preschool teacher to report to you every day.

Thank you. When will I know she's ready to give it up and won't go back to the thumb?
She seemed so ready and was so excited to throw it out.

banana123

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 3:15 am
holylandgirl wrote:
Thank you. When will I know she's ready to give it up and won't go back to the thumb?
She seemed so ready and was so excited to throw it out.

I think you'll know. Eventually every child starts to use the paci less often (had she cut down before you weaned her?) and also at some point understands that it's not acceptable socially. But if you see she still needs the oral stimulation then first off, try to take her for OT, and secondly, there are more adult-like items that can be used instead of a paci. In the meantime at 3.5 I think needing oral stimulation is still completely normal.
https://www.especialneeds.com/......html

Also, really important, don't take away the present or make her feel bad. Just say that you're proud of her for trying and see she's not ready (because of her thumb), so you'll try again when she's a bit bigger.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers