Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
What do you use instead of tomatoes?
1  2  Next

chefmama

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 6:19 am
Any ideas besides using red pepper sauce?
Thanks!

avrahamama

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 7:05 am
For what? In the zehav cookbook they used persimmons instead of tomato for a salad. Looked interesting. So I guess depends on what you're trying to make.

MiriFr

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 7:56 am
I never put tomatoes in anything. I think I bought 2 tomatoes in my whole life.
What's it for?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 7:59 am
chefmama wrote:
Any ideas besides using red pepper sauce?
Thanks!

I use something different for each dish. What are you looking to make specifically? Meatballs, pizza, baked ziti? I'll try to help.

chefmama

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 8:49 am
Thanks for the help! The thing is I’m trying to find a substitute for all tomato use I suppose. So on homemade pizza, what would you use? What about when making meatballs in a sauce? Or pasta with a sauce? (parve) I generally use tomatoes quite a lot, but one of my little ones suddenly cannot handle tomatoes.

chasdie Hashem

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 9:10 am
Our whole family allergic tomatoes
For pizza we use apple jam landaus
For meatballs we do suete veg & add date syrup/sweet potatoes...

chefmama

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 10:24 am
chasdie Hashem wrote:
Our whole family allergic tomatoes
For pizza we use apple jam landaus
For meatballs we do suete veg & add date syrup/sweet potatoes...

Landaus is a brand? So you use apple jam/sauce with cheese? I would have never thought of that.
Thanks for the ideas- I'll definitely give the pizza a try this week bzh!

Anyone else with ideas out there, please do post them Smile

chefmama

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 10:28 am
ra_mom wrote:
I use something different for each dish. What are you looking to make specifically? Meatballs, pizza, baked ziti? I'll try to help.

I‘d love to hear what you use, you have great ideas and tips!

chefmama

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 10:29 am
avrahamama wrote:
For what? In the zehav cookbook they used persimmons instead of tomato for a salad. Looked interesting. So I guess depends on what you're trying to make.

Ooh thank you!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 11:36 am
chefmama wrote:
I‘d love to hear what you use, you have great ideas and tips!

For ziti, this is delish. You can sub milk and omit sage.
https://jamiegeller.com/recipe.....enne/

For pizza, saute onion and garlic, add chopped spinach until moisture has evaporated. Mix in shredded cheese and season while tasting with oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Spread mixture over pizza dough, sprinkle with a top with a bit of cheese and bake. Heaven.

Or make a white pizza. Brush dough with olive oil. Season ricotta with fresh garlic, parsley, salt and pepper. Spread over dough, sprinkle with shredded cheese and bake.

For lasagna, pre-cook lasagna noodles, make a spinach cheese layer, and use a white sauce.

We love well seasoned no sauce baked meatballs over garlic spaghetti. You can also make an Asian brown sauce to cook the meatballs in, honey garlic sauce, cranberry sauce or your favorite jelly made into sauce with some mustard, or top baked meatballs with mushroom sauce and serve with rice.

For stuffed cabbage, use pureed sweet potato and butternut squash (baby jars are great). Thin with water, season until very tasty with onion, garlic, salt and pepper.

If your kid is used to ketchup, I can offer some subsistutes. It's not the same but pretty good! Usually after a while they'll get used to other dips and flavors and won't need faux ketchup anymore.

trixx

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 12:11 pm
Nomato sauce

MiriFr

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 12:29 pm
For pizza, use pesto. Dough, pesto, cheese. If you wanna get fancy, use kalamata olives and artichoke as toppings.
For meatballs, boil up equal parts BBQ sauce and grape jelly.
For salads, I never use tomatoes, and noone has yet to realize!!

chefmama

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 1:09 pm
ra_mom wrote:
For ziti, this is delish. You can sub milk and omit sage.
https://jamiegeller.com/recipe.....enne/

For pizza, saute onion and garlic, add chopped spinach until moisture has evaporated. Mix in shredded cheese and season while tasting with oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Spread mixture over pizza dough, sprinkle with a top with a bit of cheese and bake. Heaven.

Or make a white pizza. Brush dough with olive oil. Season ricotta with fresh garlic, parsley, salt and pepper. Spread over dough, sprinkle with shredded cheese and bake.

For lasagna, pre-cook lasagna noodles, make a spinach cheese layer, and use a white sauce.

We love well seasoned no sauce baked meatballs over garlic spaghetti. You can also make an Asian brown sauce to cook the meatballs in, honey garlic sauce, cranberry sauce or your favorite jelly made into sauce with some mustard, or top baked meatballs with mushroom sauce and serve with rice.

For stuffed cabbage, use pureed sweet potato and butternut squash (baby jars are great). Thin with water, season until very tasty with onion, garlic, salt and pepper.

If your kid is used to ketchup, I can offer some subsistutes. It's not the same but pretty good! Usually after a while they'll get used to other dips and flavors and won't need faux ketchup anymore.

These are amazing ideas, thank you so much!! Any subs for ketchup would be great!

chefmama

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 1:09 pm
trixx wrote:
Nomato sauce

What‘s that?

chefmama

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 1:16 pm
MiriFr wrote:
For pizza, use pesto. Dough, pesto, cheese. If you wanna get fancy, use kalamata olives and artichoke as toppings.

Thank you! Pesto! I didn’t think of that! My brain literally froze when I realised I‘ll have to find subs for a lot when cooking.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 1:50 pm
MiriFr wrote:

BBQ sauce is tomato based Smile

amother
Red

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 2:03 pm
Balebuste's choice 2 has a great recipe for lasagna with a white sauce.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 2:11 pm
chefmama wrote:
These are amazing ideas, thank you so much!! Any subs for ketchup would be great!

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....72688
Taliaville also posted a good ketchup sub on the same thread.

MiriFr

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 2:24 pm
ra_mom wrote:
BBQ sauce is tomato based Smile

True! But it's not hard to find tomato-free BBQ sauce! I think I've seen a mustard-based BBQ sauce floating around

sarahmalka

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 2:40 pm
You could make cashew based "cream" sauce for pasta if you need some pareve options. Basically consists of raw cashews soaked in water, blended with oil, garlic, parsley, basil whatever spices you like. Almost like pesto. Or pasta primavera where the sauce is sauteed veggies in oil, tossed with the noodles. Olives and capers are a nice addition bc of their strong salty taste.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics