Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
What life wisdom has age and life experience taught you?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 2:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
"When you're 20, you care what everyone thinks. When you're 40, you stop caring about what everyone thinks. When you're 60, you realize that nobody was ever thinking about you in the first place".

That means I'm about fifty. No one is thinking about me in the first place. But if they were I cover myself appropriately.

Thing is I'm barely more than 30.

singleagain

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 2:07 pm
You only know a little part of the story. Even if it's your story.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 2:13 pm
I'm in my 40s.
In my late 20s I learned to live my life for myself and not as my parents wish. Its incredibly freeing, even when they verbalize everything they think you're doing wrong.

Definitely dont sweat the small stuff. Think about what you want your kids to fondly recall about you - for me it's laughter and making our home a cheery, warm place that is full of love. No one eulogizes their mother and says "the dishes were always washed on the same night" Very Happy

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 2:21 pm
im almost 50.... no brain thinks the same....we all define things differently.... please dont get insulted..... think positive.....

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 2:22 pm
I don't really agree that people aren't thinking about you.

I've come across some very judgmental and nasty women over the course of my children's school years. I think they were very definitely thinking about me and judging me and my children. I saw it in their faces and I heard it in their tone of voice - besides for the hurtful comments.

But I do believe in karma. "Galgal hachozer." The wheel of fortune. Whatever you want to call it. Everyone gets their turn in some way. Whoever is on top, they also experience the bottom in some form or another.

So its important to tune out the people who aren't on your side, who don't give credence to your voice and to believe in yourself, your children, and your life choices. You only get one chance, may as well live fully!

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 2:30 pm
"mentch tracht un Gut lacht"

"gam zeh Yavor"

80% is siyatte dishmaya. The other 20 is in Hashem's hands.

I'v also become more humble with age learning on the way that regardless, ultimately, it's up to Hashem.

I'm in my 40's, married off 4 kids and a mother of 14. I've had quite a few teachers!

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 2:34 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
I don't really agree that people aren't thinking about you.

I've come across some very judgmental and nasty women over the course of my children's school years. I think they were very definitely thinking about me and judging me and my children. I saw it in their faces and I heard it in their tone of voice - besides for the hurtful comments.

But I do believe in karma. "Galgal hachozer." The wheel of fortune. Whatever you want to call it. Everyone gets their turn in some way. Whoever is on top, they also experience the bottom in some form or another.

So its important to tune out the people who aren't on your side, who don't give credence to your voice and to believe in yourself, your children, and your life choices. You only get one chance, may as well live fully!

Well firstly they might not have been judging you - you might have just interpreted it that way.

Secondly, in the rare instance that they ARE nasty yentas, that really has nothing to do with you - it has to do with them. So why bother yourself about it anyways?

The galgal chozer/ karma thing really bothers me. I believe that it is true but relying on it to make yourself feel better, seems like comforting yourself that other people are suffering. It just seems mean. (Not directed at you specifically, there were several others who posted this as well.)

lilies

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 2:41 pm
delete

Last edited by lilies on Wed, May 06 2020, 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 2:45 pm
lilies wrote:
It's not about being happy that others are suffering. There are few greater pleasures in this world than the pleasure of seeing Hashem's hand in having your pain and suffering validated (that's not the right word, someone help). There are some Torah sources on this.
That reinforces "yesh borah imanhig" the world isn't hefker, everything has a cheshbon.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 2:47 pm
lilies wrote:
It's not about being happy that others are suffering. There are few greater pleasures in this world than the pleasure of seeing Hashem's hand in having your pain and suffering validated (that's not the right word, someone help). There are some Torah sources on this.

It's validating, bchinat tzarat rabim chetzi nechama?
Because you know, tzarat rabim nechamat tipshim.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 3:04 pm
Trust your instinct

Don’t rattle a young child’s nervous system. (Don’t overreact)

The first five years of a child’s life is the building blocks.

If all goes to hell. Just put one foot in front of the other. Eventually it will get you somewhere.

Even bad people do good things.

Even if you thought you were so good. In a lifespan you will have done some pretty bad things too.

We are all human.

We need to practice forgiveness. And know Hashem is full of compassion and forgiveness.

Blame isn’t productive.

Life is like a dream. It goes by real fast.

Be kind. Be kind. Be kind.

There is nothing other than Hashem.

busy mommy

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 3:34 pm
you choose to be happy! no matter what the circumstance is you can choose to be happy.

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 3:40 pm
Control is an illusion. We can make our own choices, but there is no guaranteed outcome. It's all from HKBH.

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 6:09 pm
Love this thread! I'm amazed how much life experience can change a mindset and bring so much insight and wisdom into our lives.

Im 30 and am already in awe at how much Ive gained, I can't wait to see whats to come!!

Ive learnt that you can NEVER judge anyone, and especially in our society where dresscode is so closely associated with identity, dont assume anything!! The more I speak to people the more I realise every single person is unique, everyone has a rich history and upbringing, a strong inner world, an individual identity that runs so much deeper than what you see.

Ive learnt that the people who seem to be so out there and have it perfect are usually suffering the most. The facade is never real. Its the quiet, boring people that keep to themselves who are actually most content.

Ive learnt that we all live in our own heads, its impossible not to. We can make an effort to see other perspectives and hear peoples views and look at the world with an open and receptive mind, but ulimately we are still limited by our own minds. I find this makes forgiving people much easier.

Ive learnt that not only is life never perfect, its often the imperfections, the struggles, the hard times that are our greatest achievements. Its those moments that give us a glimpse into the depth of life and keep us on a path of growth.

Ive learnt how powerful human connection is. We all crave relationships and connection. Its what keeps us infused on this long journey called life.

Ive learnt to listen to my gut. Without fail, every negative experience/ relationship/ job I fell in to, I could have avoided if I listened to my instincts.

Ive learnt that confidence and a strong sense of self will carry you farther than anything else can.

O I can go on... reflecting is so therapitic! Thanks for giving me the oppertunity!!

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 6:27 pm
Remember that your children are their own people. They are not "mini-you's" and successful parenting does not equal punching out carbon copies of who you or your husband are. You were entrusted to nurture and see to the health of their נשמות, but you must let them be true to themselves and allow each his/her own relationship with Hashem. They need to always feel your love and acceptance. Always encourage their curiosity -- and always encourage your own! Never stop learning.

Age=43, mom to a number of independent and lovely people

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 6:48 pm
The more I think I know the less I actually know.
You can only control your own actions/ emotions/ responses, not anyone else's and it’s not healthy to even try.
It’s all about perception.
Let it go, let it go, let it go.

And that Amother turquoise is a very wise woman.

Early 50’s and a grandma.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 6:52 pm
Trust your own inner voice even if others don’t trust it.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 6:52 pm
Two quotes:

"I've learned at times its best to bend 'cause if you don't, well, those are the breaks." Jim Croce

"You're fat. I'm ancient. We're gorgeous." This is Us

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 6:53 pm
Don’t expect much from people my mother died two people came to her shiva and no one called

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 6:57 pm
Shallow people are often at the centre of popularity. Often There’s not much under the nice exterior.
Surround yourself with quality people even if they’re more quiet.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational