Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Bat mitzva- male DJ?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 3:30 pm
So I'm having a hard time finding a dj for DD's bat mitzva. There's a guy I know who is available but is it weird to have a male? DD is okay with it and says other girls have done it and the dj said he's done it before. But since he'd be outside the mechitza, can you really provide music for dancers you can't see?

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 3:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So I'm having a hard time finding a dj for DD's bat mitzva. There's a guy I know who is available but is it weird to have a male? DD is okay with it and says other girls have done it and the dj said he's done it before. But since he'd be outside the mechitza, can you really provide music for dancers you can't see?

Hmmmm this really goes against what the girls are taught tzenuis wise. We teach them that it's untzenuis to dance in front a men. And you'll want to bring a male DJ? It's either right or wrong.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 3:56 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
Hmmmm this really goes against what the girls are taught tzenuis wise. We teach them that it's untzenuis to dance in front a men. And you'll want to bring a male DJ? It's either right or wrong.

if you read my post you'd see I said there's a mechitza. you teach your kids they can't dance in any man is in the vicinity and they're blocked from his view? so I assume your kids won't even dance at their own weddings

singleagain

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 4:09 pm
In my school's mother daughter production, the male piano playing vice principal did his thing behind a mechitza when the girls sang and performed.

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 4:17 pm
DJs and Mehitzas , is that a thing now.... Confused

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 4:25 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
DJs and Mehitzas , is that a thing now.... Confused

I'll probably regret this but what's the problem?

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 4:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
if you read my post you'd see I said there's a mechitza. you teach your kids they can't dance in any man is in the vicinity and they're blocked from his view? so I assume your kids won't even dance at their own weddings

Sorry, you wrote that he'll be outside the mechitza, I understood that he'll be at the girls section & see the girls dancing. Sorry.
If he's behind a mechitza, what's the issue? It's just like any other simcha.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 4:26 pm
Is there a school rule about such things? DD's school only allows appropriately dressed female entertainers at a bat mitzvah with the threat of suspension if the rule isn't followed.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 4:37 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Is there a school rule about such things? DD's school only allows appropriately dressed female entertainers at a bat mitzvah with the threat of suspension if the rule isn't followed.

Nope. Public religious school in Israel. They don't really make rules for outside of school behavior.

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 4:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'll probably regret this but what's the problem?

Maybe its my limited exposure , but I always pictured a DJ at a Reform/conservative or perhaps LWMO affair

Whats the mehitza for ???

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 4:45 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Maybe its my limited exposure , but I always pictured a DJ at a Reform/conservative or perhaps LWMO affair

so the girls and female guests can dance?
Are my friends and I supposed to be dancing without one in front of FIL, my father, BILs, older nephews?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 4:47 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:

How do you play music? I'm not interested in setting up a playlist and hooking to the sound system, dealing wiht potential issues, etc and B"H the extra cost isn't really a problem

DrMom

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 4:50 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:

There are DJs who play simcha music. It's much more affordable than a band.

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 4:51 pm
Ok...

I guess that there is a dj and there is a

DJ....YO LETS ROCK Very Happy Very Happy

Mazal Tov...

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 4:52 pm
Um, has anyone ever been to a wedding? The all-male band is absolutely never behind a mechitza and the women dance in front of them, no problem.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 4:57 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
Um, has anyone ever been to a wedding? The all-male band is absolutely never behind a mechitza and the women dance in front of them, no problem.

They are usually on the mend side of the room though

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 5:01 pm

This really depends on the community and circles.
And most of the time the band is at the mens side.
And because the women are dancing "no problem" in front of the all male band, it doesn't make it ok and no problem.

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 5:01 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
They are usually on the mend side of the room though

Not really, no.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 5:03 pm

Not necessarily. Many people put the band on the men's side, or an extra mechitza between.

When I was at Stern, we had a male band behind a mechitza. The major annoyance was the inability to sing. But that's irrelevant if you have men in the room anyway.

Have you looked for a female keyboard player?

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 5:09 pm
Not really, no.

Again, this depends on the community and circles. But most of the time the band is at the mens side. An all Male band only makes sense to be at the mens side.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics