Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
The Wilbargers’ “Brushing” Program

country

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 7:39 pm
Anyone here every tried The Wilbargers’ “Brushing” Program? did it work for you kid? how often did you do it?

lilies

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 7:42 pm
I have, every night. I think it desensitizes and would work if you keep it up for a veeery loooong time. I've seen quicker results with proprioceptive activities.

whewpy

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 7:56 pm
It works but you need a full sensory diet

M0mmy

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 9:09 pm
As part of a sensory diet which incorporates a lot of proprioceptive and vestibular input, it can be a nice adjunct (and I've seen it before). In isolation, I don't think it would do much, unless you're really just working on desensitization to tactile stimuli (and even then, I would still do it with other desensitization activities).

seeker

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 1:32 am
lilies wrote:
I have, every night. I think it desensitizes and would work if you keep it up for a veeery loooong time. I've seen quicker results with proprioceptive activities.
The Wilbarger protocol includes a proprioceptive component, IIRC.

I don't have enough experience with it to know if it works personally. I have heard secondhand that it's very well regarded.

M0mmy

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 8:46 am
seeker wrote:
The Wilbarger protocol includes a proprioceptive component, IIRC.

I don't have enough experience with it to know if it works personally. I have heard secondhand that it's very well regarded.

There are definitely joint compressions that are supposed to follow the brushing, but I think more than that is necessary for the whole program to be effective. I have seen the whole process though, be kind of like an in-the-moment booster.

And it's cheap enough that it's not a big deal to try. (Brush is a couple of dollars on Amazon, rest is free.)

lilies

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 10:59 am
M0mmy wrote:
There are definitely joint compressions that are supposed to follow the brushing, but I think more than that is necessary for the whole program to be effective. I have seen the whole process though, be kind of like an in-the-moment booster.

And it's cheap enough that it's not a big deal to try. (Brush is a couple of dollars on Amazon, rest is free.)

Yes there are joint compressions to follow. I meant as a whole, pushing something heavy, doing some wheelbarrow walking and the like will also result in the same without the brushing.

It is cheap but expensive in the time and effort it's needed at cranky bedtime hour or morning rush hour.

M0mmy

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 11:11 am
lilies wrote:
Yes there are joint compressions to follow. I meant as a whole, pushing something heavy, doing some wheelbarrow walking and the like will also result in the same without the brushing.

It is cheap but expensive in the time and effort it's needed at cranky bedtime hour or morning rush hour.

You can play around a bit with when to implement - if you have invested people, they can do at school (for example) shortly after arrival, or whatever, and then again every few hours or so.

But overall, yes, I agree, other proprioceptive work is probably just as effective. Some kids really take to brushing, but I just think of it as one of many sensory diet options, certainly not a replacement.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics