Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Life.
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 8:18 pm
Were bh a family of nine kih (including my husb and I). Live in b.p. we just started shopping in bingo. Six kids kih are in school and paying tuition. Dont have a car (wish we would) have a [gentile woman] twice a week cuz shes my sanity. Were making it at end of month choking. Getting nervous as my oldest is kih 16....(how will we marry her off?????)
What's a normal salary to make in order to he able to breathe at end of each month and maybe start saving.....(a pitzy....)

So far not possible for me to go work as my toddler at home impossible.

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 8:44 pm
Add up all your expenses + amount you want to save per month x 12?
How much is your rent/mortgage? Tuition, food bill, clothing budget...

HonesttoGod

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 8:48 pm
Sit down and make a budget. What are your basic expenses ?
I’m not talking London kids shoes and little lounger sets. I mean basic - bread water rent electricity tuition, necessities.

See what is covered and wht is left.
I hate to break it to you but living in Boro Park with 9 kids, if you are barely scraping through and want savings to marry off etc, you may have to go to work for the extra dollars.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 8:55 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Were bh a family of nine kih (including my husb and I). Live in b.p. we just started shopping in bingo. Six kids kih are in school and paying tuition. Dont have a car (wish we would) have a [gentile woman] twice a week cuz shes my sanity. Were making it at end of month choking. Getting nervous as my oldest is kih 16....(how will we marry her off?????)
What's a normal salary to make in order to he able to breathe at end of each month and maybe start saving.....(a pitzy....)

So far not possible for me to go work as my toddler at home impossible.

If he's a toddler now, you'll be able to go out to work next year when he's in (pre)nursery. Good luck!

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 8:56 pm
Get out of the city!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 8:57 pm
Dont shop in london kids....or any such stores. Do most online whatever is possible.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 8:57 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
Get out of the city!

Her tuition charges will be higher and she'll have higher RE tax bills and car expenses. She'll just be trading one set of bills for another.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 8:58 pm
ra_mom wrote:
If he's a toddler now, you'll be able to go out to work next year when he's in (pre)nursery. Good luck!

My school has no pre n.....so gotta wait another full year. Playgroup not in budget right now

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 9:11 pm
I don't know if there is a 'normal' salary

There is your expenses + your savings

Are you on government programs?

Do you have a competent accountant?

Do you have passive income?

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 9:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My school has no pre n.....so gotta wait another full year. Playgroup not in budget right now
if you worked, playgroup would be in the budget!

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 9:25 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Her tuition charges will be higher and she'll have higher RE tax bills and car expenses. She'll just be trading one set of bills for another.

Not really..
Many ladies tell me that such a famiy in BP/ Flatbush making 300k a year is still struggling

Other people I met online and IRL , say you can be comfortable in Cleveland/Oak Park etc.. with 80k
Especially places that have vouchers

baby12x

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 9:43 pm
It doesn't really matter what is normal to make.
How much are you making?
Set if there are ways to increase your income in the house. Babysitting? Watching another toddler? Use that money for savings and a little breathing room

https://adimesaved.com/youre-d.....wards

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 9:50 pm
Just getting by with no extras paying just Bills and food to the bar minimum we r a fam of 7 we need atleast 9000 a month and that is barely making it

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 9:03 am
Can u send your toddler to a DIFFERENT School? There's also headstart instead of playgroup. Are you income eligible?

Unfortunately, most people don't make it on one salary for families a lot smaller than yours. Hiding

lamplighter

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 9:28 am
It doesn't matter what is normal to make.
What matters is how much you need to make.
Add up your expenses +savings and thats how much you need to make.
If you want to know how you can cut your expenses or increase your income those are good questions to explore.

watergirl

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 9:39 am
ra_mom wrote:

People love to say this, but it just is not true. When people say get out of the city, they don't mean "Get out of the city and move to Monsey/Lakewood". The US is a massive country, there are many other cities with wonderful frum amenities and low taxes, low tuition, and low cost of living. And where tuition is higher, or higher than the 3k they pay a year in Boro Park, the schools actually want you and work with you on tuition. Property tax in NY/NJ is extremely high.

Where I live, no one pays more than 4k/year in property taxes. Car expenses are the same anywhere, give or take what you would pay for insurance, which is higher in NYC than out. Of course you would have to pay for gas which I suppose BP people don't do? Cost of living is way less out of BP/Monsey/Lakewood because the shtussim just aren't things.

Maybe I should start a spin off, but I think its pretty safe to say, based on my experiences and those of the people I know who made the move, leaving NYC and moving away from that area in general (aka not moving TO Lakewood/Monsey, etc), is absolutely a fantastic way to cut on costs.

Sebastian

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 9:51 am
watergirl wrote:
People love to say this, but it just is not true. When people say get out of the city, they don't mean "Get out of the city and move to Monsey/Lakewood". The US is a massive country, there are many other cities with wonderful frum amenities and low taxes, low tuition, and low cost of living. And where tuition is higher, or higher than the 3k they pay a year in Boro Park, the schools actually want you and work with you on tuition. Property tax in NY/NJ is extremely high.

Where I live, no one pays more than 4k/year in property taxes. Car expenses are the same anywhere, give or take what you would pay for insurance, which is higher in NYC than out. Of course you would have to pay for gas which I suppose BP people don't do? Cost of living is way less out of BP/Monsey/Lakewood because the shtussim just aren't things.

Maybe I should start a spin off, but I think its pretty safe to say, based on my experiences and those of the people I know who made the move, leaving NYC and moving away from that area in general (aka not moving TO Lakewood/Monsey, etc), is absolutely a fantastic way to cut on costs.

It sounds like op is chassidish and it's hard for chassidim to live oot without a kehila.
OP how much would you earn if you worked? Would it cover playgroup with some left over? What about doing babysitting

ra_mom

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 9:57 am
watergirl wrote:

OP said she doesn't have a car. That's possible in the city. Car expenses will be new if she moves.
Tuition IS higher out of Brooklyn for chassidish schools.
And when the poster mentioned that OP should get out of the city, I did assume to Lakewood or Monsey because if OP currently lives in BP with children 16 and under, it's safe to assume she will not be looking to overhaul her family and way of life by taking them out of the type of cheders that they are in now at this point in her life.

Last edited by ra_mom on Wed, Feb 19 2020, 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 9:57 am
Sebastian wrote:
It sounds like op is chassidish and it's hard for chassidim to live oot without a kehila.
OP how much would you earn if you worked? Would it cover playgroup with some left over? What about doing babysitting

So build one , they are starting to move to Baltimore in numbers

Rockwell/Satmar went up pretty fast in Lakewood.. Create something like that in other places

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 10:03 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
Not really..
Many ladies tell me that such a famiy in BP/ Flatbush making 300k a year is still struggling

Other people I met online and IRL , say you can be comfortable in Cleveland/Oak Park etc.. with 80k
Especially places that have vouchers

You definitely can't be anywhere near comfortable with a family of 9 on 80k. The exaggerations here are astounding in both directions.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics