Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
I think voicenotes are rude and obnoxious.
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

singleagain

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 1:29 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
I don’t think voice notes are rude, but I find them to be pretty annoying. Maybe it’s just my particular friend who loves voicenotes (even though I’ve told her I hate them), but I find it takes triple the time to listen to than it would to read the same thing written in a text. Also, I’m often in a situation where I can’t listen to a voicenote, but I can read and respond to a text.

You can get an app to speed up the voice notes. My boss has one

groovy1224

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 1:33 pm
I love voicenotes when used normally. But I cannot stand when people send 3 minute+ voicenotes. That's too much!

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 1:33 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
I don’t think voice notes are rude, but I find them to be pretty annoying. ... Also, I’m often in a situation where I can’t listen to a voicenote, but I can read and respond to a text.

Me too.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 1:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
To me, a voice note says, "I don't have time to text you and you're not worth a phone call, so here's a voice note where I say my piece and you have to click to open it and listen."

You're right, I DONT have time to text you because my kids need me or it's a long thing I need to say and I don't have 5 minutes right now to text. Or, I can't text you because I'm driving now and I can't text while driving, but if I don't leave you a voice note now I will forget what I needed to tell you.
Also, you ARE worth a phone call but maybe I tried you and you didn't answer or I don't want to bother you, and I just want to say hi!

It honestly never occurred to me that anyone would find it rude. What

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 1:51 pm
double post

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 1:51 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
Whars a voice note? I never heard of it. Is it like voice mail?

its a feature in whatsapp. It's like voice mail but you don't have to call the person first. You just go to your WhatsApp and press record.

Sometimes you are in middle of texting back and forth and then you need to say something a little longer, so you can just say it rather than text it.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 1:52 pm
I just don't even try- I'm hearing impaired and they are difficult for me. I'll just ask the sender to text me because I couldn't hear it properly.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 1:54 pm
Wow all these snowflakes upset about something so silly. Always looking to find something that’s rude.
So don’t use it. There’s nothing wrong with voice notes. It’s just another way to communicate. Stop overthinking it. Smh. Banging head

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 1:56 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
I love voicenotes when used normally. But I cannot stand when people send 3 minute+ voicenotes. That's too much!

Every feature has its pros and cons.
For SENDING: voice note is very convenient, easier than texting. Something that takes half a minute to say can take a few minutes to text.
For RECEIVING: texting is often more convenient because its quicker to read something than have to listen to someone ramble for half a minute.

OtOH, sometimes its nice to hear someone's voice. I have a friend who lives across the world. Because of different time zones, we don't get to talk as often as we'd like. So I sometimes just leave her a voice note saying hi and she does the same.

asmileaday

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 2:14 pm
Sometimes I hate them and sometimes they're great.

I like texts especially from clients because I can give a quick glance without going into it and see if it's something I can respond to now or wait for later.

When it's a voicenote, I have no idea what the content is. And once I listen to it 1- it's not a new message notification anymore, so I can forget to respond if I couldn't right at that moment. 2- the person sees that I listened to it and sometimes I don't want to/can't respond right away but I feel bad because that person knows I listened to it.

Voicenotes though are good when I have something a little more detailed to say and it would just take too long to type.

syrima

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 2:27 pm
I used to think voice notes were rude but my teen dd is winning me over.
I'm starting to use them more at least in the family.
It's great to be able to share a file or pic and a vn with your commentary - so convenient!

amother
Red

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 2:33 pm
I use voice notes every day. I'm busy with my fam and job, and so are my friends. At night I am usually too bombed to talk. They are great!

Only caveat: voice notes that exceed 10 minutes. I once got a 25 minute voice note from a colleague. If its 25 min, call or meet me in person.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 2:38 pm
I like them. I mean, if someone sends me a recording of 3 words it's pretty dumb but for longer messages it saves time from pecking it out on a phone - fantastic!

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 3:02 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
its a feature in whatsapp. It's like voice mail but you don't have to call the person first. You just go to your WhatsApp and press record.

Sometimes you are in middle of texting back and forth and then you need to say something a little longer, so you can just say it rather than text it.

Oh I don’t have what’s app. Thanks for clarifying

flowerpower

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 3:07 pm
I actually got used to them and really find it convenient. My friend can leave me a 3 minute voicenote about her day and I can listen to it when it’s conveneit for me. I communicate with many people that way. It saves so much time.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 3:32 pm
asmileaday wrote:
Sometimes I hate them and sometimes they're great.

I like texts especially from clients because I can give a quick glance without going into it and see if it's something I can respond to now or wait for later.

When it's a voicenote, I have no idea what the content is. And once I listen to it 1- it's not a new message notification anymore, so I can forget to respond if I couldn't right at that moment. 2- the person sees that I listened to it and sometimes I don't want to/can't respond right away but I feel bad because that person knows I listened to it.

Voicenotes though are good when I have something a little more detailed to say and it would just take too long to type.

there's a way to turn off the double check feature,so the other person doesn't actually see when you read it/heard it

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 3:33 pm
there's a way to turn off the double check feature,so the other person doesn't actually see when you read it/heard it

How?

mushkale

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 3:40 pm
The only part that's annoying to me is that you cant search it so if I ask my mother for a recipe and she voice notes it and then later I want to search 'apple's or whatever to refind it, it's a problem and similar

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 4:13 pm

It's privacy settings. But that feature doesn't work for voicenotes.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 4:47 pm
I hate voice notes and FaceTime but I don’t think they are rude or obnoxious just a personal preference.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette