Home

I am so over this idiotic state of NY (smoking rights)
Previous  1, 2, 3

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

banana123

Post  Thu, Feb 20 2020, 1:21 pm
yo'ma wrote:
I hate smoking with a passion and I wish nobody smoked, but it is what it is. Just because of that, it’s still not the responsibility of the government to ban it in private homes. As far as buildings, there are or should be smoke free buildings, but that’s up to the owners or the board of the building. They have it for pets, why not smoking?

I didn’t say it was right for the weed smokers in the park. I was saying people get away with that when they’re already not allowed to, why add more things to the mix. Something like that anyway.

If people can't control themselves and continue to harm others, thinking that they have a right to do that, then yes the government needs to step in.

Just like it would step in if someone harassed you or put poison in your apartment.

Invisible poison like cigarette smoke is still poison. Forcing it into your space, your house, your lungs, your children's lungs, hair, skin, and clothes, is not okay. Are the smokers going to pay for the effects their actions have on your health and your children's health? No? Then they shouldn't be allowed do that kind of harm to your family's health.

Enforcement is a different yet related problem, and hopefully there are either municipal supervisors or police officers who can come fine people who violate the law. In Israel, you can call up 106 or 100 and report the violators, and (sometimes quickly, sometimes after hours) someone will show up and hand them a warning or a fine.

If you don't report the violators, though, why should law enforcement care, and why should the smokers care?

As long as those of us who suffer remain silent, we allow this kind of thing to continue indefinitely. If we want enforcement, we are going to have to speak up and take action, instead of moping around like helpless victims.

The law is on our side, in many many cases. Let's take advantage of that and make some change on the ground.

Last edited by banana123 on Thu, Feb 20 2020, 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cheiny

Post  Thu, Feb 20 2020, 1:26 pm
tp3 wrote:
Saw a meme that said something like: I'm going to the store to buy a loaf of bread bagged in plastic, a salami wrapped in plastic, a ketchup and mustard in plastic bottles, but they can't give me a plastic bag to bring it all home in because plastic is bad for the environment.

Also saw a headline yesterday, people fleeing NY & NJ.

So true!

octopus

Post  Thu, Feb 20 2020, 1:41 pm
mamma llama wrote:
Ok, this story is actually comical... LOL

What's crazy is that he started out shoplifting, next crime was an assault, and third crime I guess was also an assault (hit someone with a brick). His crimes escalated.

imorethanamother

Post  Thu, Feb 20 2020, 5:02 pm
tp3 wrote:
Saw a meme that said something like: I'm going to the store to buy a loaf of bread bagged in plastic, a salami wrapped in plastic, a ketchup and mustard in plastic bottles, but they can't give me a plastic bag to bring it all home in because plastic is bad for the environment.

Also saw a headline yesterday, people fleeing NY & NJ.

You're absolutely right, I think the amount of plastic we use surrounding our food is awful. Baby steps!

I never understand this logic. Plastic has been proven to break down into harmful endocrine-disruptor compounds by everyone's who's tested it, and yet I've seen people fight tooth and nail to keep more plastic in their lives, and resent anyone trying to help them live healthier lives. Amazing.

pause

Post  Thu, Feb 20 2020, 8:53 pm
imorethanamother wrote:
You're absolutely right, I think the amount of plastic we use surrounding our food is awful. Baby steps!

I never understand this logic. Plastic has been proven to break down into harmful endocrine-disruptor compounds by everyone's who's tested it, and yet I've seen people fight tooth and nail to keep more plastic in their lives, and resent anyone trying to help them live healthier lives. Amazing.

The plastic bag ban has zilch to do with health and everything to do with feel-good-environmentalism.
If this were at all about health, we can have a whole 'nother conversation.

tp3

Post  Thu, Feb 20 2020, 9:27 pm
imorethanamother wrote:

They aren't trying to help. They want to control the little people.
I've been recycling plastic for 18+ years. Is that not good enough anymore?
I didn't ask for their "help." I'm sure we can all think of that person in our lives that just wants to "help." No thanks.

Raisin

Post  Fri, Feb 21 2020, 5:00 am
Are you all smokers that you care so much about this?

Smokers are harming themselves and others. Imagine if every time a person ate a donut the people in the same room would get some of the calories and sugar and fat in their system. You would look upon donut eaters in a different way then.

Plastic bags have been heavily taxed where I live for many years. You get used to it.

I am sure some idiotic laws are being passed but this law about smoking actually makes sense.

dancingqueen

Post  Fri, Feb 21 2020, 9:06 am
tp3 wrote:
They aren't trying to help. They want to control the little people.
I've been recycling plastic for 18+ years. Is that not good enough anymore?
I didn't ask for their "help." I'm sure we can all think of that person in our lives that just wants to "help." No thanks.

Plastic bags do not recycle well at all.

dancingqueen

Post  Fri, Feb 21 2020, 9:09 am
Raisin wrote:
Are you all smokers that you care so much about this?

Smokers are harming themselves and others. Imagine if every time a person ate a donut the people in the same room would get some of the calories and sugar and fat in their system. You would look upon donut eaters in a different way then.

Plastic bags have been heavily taxed where I live for many years. You get used to it.

I am sure some idiotic laws are being passed but this law about smoking actually makes sense.

Seriously. There are real issues in the world today, these are not.

FranticFrummie

Post  Fri, Feb 21 2020, 9:38 am
Everyone should move to Texas. Sure, they're flooded with illegals, but open carry and Castle Doctrine still mean something there. Texans hold the Constitution sacred.

Smoking is bad. I get it - especially around people who don't want smoke around them. So first the laws say that everyone has to smoke outside. Then they say that there are huge common areas where no smoking is allowed, and now they are saying that private residences are off limits, too.

If you are a landlord, I don't have a problem with that. You shouldn't have to worry about your walls being stained with nicotine resin. If you bought that home with your own hard earned money, then you should be able to smoke if you want. If you have kids, smoke on the back porch. If the teacher notices your kids coughing a lot, they can have CPS investigate.

Vaping is a different matter. Vapor gives off less than 1% of odor and second hand chemicals. You can stand right next to someone at a bus stop, and unless you see a cloud of vapor coming from them, you would nave no idea that it was even there.

Big Tobacco is starting to buy up all of the smaller vaping companies. Marlborough just bought out Juul. I think that in the future we are going to see a big shift away from cigarettes and more towards vaping. Cigarette smoking is going to be considered "low class and selfish", while vaping will become "considerate, and a smart choice." Just wait for the advertisements.

Can we please have a 24 hour noise ordnance against screaming children?

My last apartment was a nightmare of screaming toddlers and arguing siblings. There was no room where I could escape it. What's that? You say that it's not the same thing? I beg to differ. Screaming children give me vicious migraines, cost me a fortune in prescription migraine medication, and wreck my nerves. I can't hear myself think, and can barely function at that volume of insanity.

My daughter had the opportunity to work part time as a peer to peer counselor via Skype. The pay was good, and the hours were flexible. During the interview the kids next door started yelling, and the interviewer told DD that she could have the job when she could guarantee a place without so much background noise.

DD was P***ED OFF! Mad She seriously wanted to jump over the fence and give those kids something to cry about. When I spoke to the mom, she said "What can I do, I have too many of them and I can't watch them all." Wow, mother of the year award, there you go. Oh, and she was pregnant again, so apparently what's one more when you're already neglectful?

My new landlord smokes outside, and I couldn't be happier. His kids are sweet and well behaved, even when they are excited and playing in the yard.

Blessing1

Post  Fri, Feb 21 2020, 9:56 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Here's the next proposed legistlation taking away people's rights.

https://www.nationalreview.com.....omes/

Why do legistlators think they need to control eevery single bingle aspect of my life, my kids, my bags for goodness sakes, my finances, my home???

I'm actually pretty happy about this law. My upstairs neighbor smokes and my house and outside the house stinks awful. I can't open my windows in the summer, the smell is choking and sickening. It's not such a silly law to make that you can't smoke in a multi family house. In an apartment building, if someone smokes the entire hallway stinks.

hotzenplotz

Post  Fri, Feb 21 2020, 10:21 am
I am happy about the smoking law.

we suffer from the neighbor's smoking. It seeps into unexpected places, pipes and my daughter's bathroom. She has to keep the vent open to get out smoke coming from an apartment 35 feet away!

Raisin

Post  Fri, Feb 21 2020, 10:34 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Everyone should move to Texas. Sure, they're flooded with illegals, but open carry and Castle Doctrine still mean something there. Texans hold the Constitution sacred.

Smoking is bad. I get it - especially around people who don't want smoke around them. So first the laws say that everyone has to smoke outside. Then they say that there are huge common areas where no smoking is allowed, and now they are saying that private residences are off limits, too.

If you are a landlord, I don't have a problem with that. You shouldn't have to worry about your walls being stained with nicotine resin. If you bought that home with your own hard earned money, then you should be able to smoke if you want. If you have kids, smoke on the back porch. If the teacher notices your kids coughing a lot, they can have CPS investigate.

Vaping is a different matter. Vapor gives off less than 1% of odor and second hand chemicals. You can stand right next to someone at a bus stop, and unless you see a cloud of vapor coming from them, you would nave no idea that it was even there.

Big Tobacco is starting to buy up all of the smaller vaping companies. Marlborough just bought out Juul. I think that in the future we are going to see a big shift away from cigarettes and more towards vaping. Cigarette smoking is going to be considered "low class and selfish", while vaping will become "considerate, and a smart choice." Just wait for the advertisements.

My last apartment was a nightmare of screaming toddlers and arguing siblings. There was no room where I could escape it. What's that? You say that it's not the same thing? I beg to differ. Screaming children give me vicious migraines, cost me a fortune in prescription migraine medication, and wreck my nerves. I can't hear myself think, and can barely function at that volume of insanity.

My daughter had the opportunity to work part time as a peer to peer counselor via Skype. The pay was good, and the hours were flexible. During the interview the kids next door started yelling, and the interviewer told DD that she could have the job when she could guarantee a place without so much background noise.

DD was P***ED OFF! Mad She seriously wanted to jump over the fence and give those kids something to cry about. When I spoke to the mom, she said "What can I do, I have too many of them and I can't watch them all." Wow, mother of the year award, there you go. Oh, and she was pregnant again, so apparently what's one more when you're already neglectful?

My new landlord smokes outside, and I couldn't be happier. His kids are sweet and well behaved, even when they are excited and playing in the yard.

If we ban children, that's the end of the human race. (you don't really know which children will be pleasant and quiet, or which will be noisy, or which parents will be good parents or suffer from illnesses that make them bad parents) Or we could do like China, and only allow one or two children. (In China this has resulted in a huge gender imbalance which is resulting in forced marriage and violence)

If we ban smoking, this means people smoke less. Which means less money for tobacco companies, less lung cancer, less unpleasant smells.

imorethanamother

Post  Fri, Feb 21 2020, 10:52 am
pause wrote:
The plastic bag ban has zilch to do with health and everything to do with feel-good-environmentalism.
If this were at all about health, we can have a whole 'nother conversation.

Where I live, the landfills are full and no matter how hard they cap them, they leak. And they leak badly. Plastic is considered the most enormous percentage of landfill product, and their broken down derivatives are killing us and wildlife. There are no shortage of studies that show this. In fact, you’d be hard pressed to find even one study that shows that plastic is, at best, a neutral compound.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/p.....0126/

It’s toxic. And plastic bags are not recyclable.

Right now there are over a million metric TONS of plastic in the oceans. Any fisherman will tell you that fish are dying of malnutrition because they eat micro plastics and their guts can’t digest it and can’t fit any more food. You open up marine life and birds and their stomachs are filled with plastic. They love pieces of plastic bags.

It’s real tzaar baalei chaim. And we have an obligation not to cause needless suffering to everyone around us. Including ourselves.

tp3

Post  Fri, Feb 21 2020, 12:19 pm
NY is full of these kinds of laws that police have no interest in enforcing. As much as I hate smoking we're fooling ourselves to think laws are meant to be kept especially since jails are practically revolving doors these days.

banana123

Post  Sat, Feb 22 2020, 3:37 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

No, did you just compare noisy, healthy, rambunctious children to tobacco smoke which causes 100% harm to everyone and provides zero benefits?

Smoking harms everyone, even those who have trained themselves to enjoy it.

If you ban smoking we'll have a healthier world. If you ban children, you'll have a nonexistent world.
Previous  1, 2, 3 Recent Topics

Page 3 of 3 View latest: 24h 48h 72h