Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Co- teaching when the other teacher is frequently absent

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 11:33 am
I specifically did not want to teach a classroom because of medical / Family issues going on (and I was almost going to take off the year ) but the school convinced me to be the 2nd teacher in a special ed class where the other teacher would have the primary teaching responsibilities- she would do report cards , paperwork, and the bulk of IEP meetings . The problem is that in reality it's not happening. She also has a lot going on in her life and has taken off more than 20 days each time they don't end up finding a sub since I am there and I end up taking on a lot more for the few pennies I get for doing double duty . I don't know what to do but I am at my wits end . I so clearly told them that I can only take this job if it's a 12-4 job and can't do any extra and they agreed to it . Any ideas?

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 11:39 am
First, tell whoever hired you, or your supervisor, or whatever, that this is not what you agreed to, and that it's not working for you.

Clarify what you want. W
Would you quit if things continue this way?

Would you want to be paid double or something else negotiable, when coteacher doesn't show? In my school, (regular ed) if a teacher takes on the parallel class ( teaches two class at the same time) she gets paid up to an extra $50/day.
You should be getting the last of the nonexistent sub.

Can someone else do the game home paperwork, etc., Ore would the school like to pay you x/hour?

If that doesn't interest you, tell them it's too much, and give notice.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 11:39 am
Bottom line,
You have the upper hand because the school is desperate.
Clarify your needs.
Communicate them.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 12:04 pm
Its not about the money . I just don't have the time . And my class needs 2 teachers for a reason . Plus I lose my pumping break when she is not there. I get an extra $30 a day but it's not worth the headache and the difficult day . I am considering quitting but I have never quit mid year in many years of teaching (but I never had a baby with special needs before )
. I guess I need to be more assertive . I understand that no one wants to sub my class (older boys with emotional and behavioral disabilities) but that's not my problem.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics