Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Can ds succeed?

mumoo

Post Mon, Jan 21 2008, 3:22 pm
I went to a parents meeting with a rep. from Yeshivas KBY. DS selected that as his first and only choice for Yeshiva in EY. First, I am surprised that he even wants to go to EY, second it sounds as if KBY is a very serious school. Now ds is really bright, all A's this year, b"H, so far. But he is a fun-loving, sports playing, never-seen-him-crack-a-gemorah-at-home kid. Am I setting him up to fail? Learning 16 hours a day! Only a few acquaintances are going (interestingly, one of a set of twins and one of a set of triplets- neither of them are close with ds but their brother is...)He can't tell me why this is his choice, so I wonder if I should try to discourage him or if he really means this is right for him? How do you know?

Tamiri

Post Mon, Jan 21 2008, 3:26 pm
you don't know. There are lots of boys who come to yeshiva here and end up having a "good time". Maybe visit the yeshiva, see who the rebiim are, what sort of supervision there is.
You need to think good and hard about letting your boy out on his own, to learn 16 hours/day. Some boys can do it and the others... as I said, they are roaming our streets.

greenfire

Post Mon, Jan 21 2008, 3:27 pm
hm ... tough call ... I would be apprehensive ... look at a few more choices ... both local & EY ... get to the deep down by having a discussion ... ya gotta wonder - what is his reason & is there an ulterior motive ...

mumoo

Post Mon, Jan 21 2008, 6:50 pm
nah, this is a good boy-real good. My worry is not that he would stray of go bad. KBY is almost an hour bus ride from Yerushalayim. It's a large all-enclosed campus near a dati kibbutz that grows olive and pickles (maybe that's his ulterior motive Very Happy ). My worry is that he will be biting off more than he can chew and end up failing.

greenfire

Post Mon, Jan 21 2008, 7:18 pm
ah ... well you won't know ... if you don't try ... so ... olives sound FUN!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children