Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
I love strawberries

herqueendom

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 6:55 pm
Does anybody know a place in or near boro park that has strawberries with a heksher? I hear its extremely hard to check them. Or does anyone know how to check strawberries?

causemommysaid

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 7:12 pm
I don't think it's so hard.

Put the strawberries into a bowl of water with a little dish soap. Rub the strawberries. Let them sit for a bit. Wash them off really really well. Slice off the top and slice lengthwise.

Stars

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 7:17 pm
When you slice off the top you have to be careful not to make a hole in the top of the strawberry. Because the aphids or whatever crawl inside.

Last edited by Stars on Thu, Feb 20 2020, 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 7:17 pm
Look up the crc or star K fruit and vegetable Checking guide online.

tweety1

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 9:00 pm
My lor doesn't let me eat them unless I peek them. Once in a while I give in cuz I love them that much

lora

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 9:38 pm
copied from the CRC site:
The cRc (Chicago Rabbinical Council)has been finding a high occurrence of insects in strawberries so that the previous method of rinsing and rubbing under a strong stream of water is not being efficient in removing the bugs (especially those that are hiding under the seeds). Therefore, until further notice, we recommend the following
method to clean the strawberries from
insects:
1) cut off tops (try to avoid making a
hole);
2) soak and occasionally agitate strawberries in soapy water (do not substitute with vegetable wash) using a
concentrated solution of approximately one tablespoon of dishwashing liquid mixed together with no more than 8 cups of water for 1- 2 minutes. (We have found Seventh Generation NonFragrance Natural Dish Liquid Soap to
be the ideal soap for those who are concerned about a “soapy aftertaste”);
3) rub each strawberry thoroughly under a stream of cold water with hand.
4) soak and agitate strawberries a second time for 1- 2 minutes in new soapy water with the same ratio as
above;
5) rinse strawberries.
Once all five steps are done you may enjoy the strawberries without further inspection. Please note that this does not apply to organic strawberries that are very difficult to get cleaned and therefore should be avoided at this time.
Of course, if one wants to avoid the above steps, one can eat the strawberries (even organic) by simply
cutting off the tops and peeling off the entire outside of the strawberries, followed by a rinse.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 11:32 pm
I was told to peel them.
It’s inconvenient but better than nothing Smile

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 12:03 am
Stars wrote:
When you slice off the top you have to be careful not to make a hole in the top of the strawberry. Because the aphids or whatever crawl inside.

I went to a fruit/vegetable checking class by our local kashrus agency. They said avoiding making a hole for the cleaning process is to prevent the soap from getting inside, which would make it harder to get the soap out. What

thanks

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 7:20 am
I have found that the o-u website has the clearest instructions. Other sites left me with questions. The ou did a fantastic job detailing what you need to do.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics