Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Can I use jar candles with scent for shabbos candles?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 3:47 pm
I’m away on a trip at an abnb and wondering if I can use it. it is also safer to leave in my room because I won’t be in my room on friday night after candle lighting.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 4:55 pm
I have no idea why not

pizzapie

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 4:59 pm
There's no specific mitzvah to light white wax candles...

amother
Denim

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 7:33 pm
I recall learning that candles need a hechsher because it was used by non jews for aveideh zara. I'm not very clear about it, I guess you are better off asking someone more learned.

SuperWify

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 8:40 pm
I did when I was stuck.

amother
Indigo

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 8:55 pm
It's probably too late for you now but afaik there's no halachik problem however those candles are not so safe to leave on for hours!
They're usually used at parties with ppl around and blown out after an hour or 2.
At hurricane sandy we went to store to buy cadles and they had run out of regular ones. We bought a large party one, colorful and scented and left in in the bathroom to have sone light in case of power outage!
Bh no power outage but we did get a little fire, we transported the candle outside on the street and looked for someone to extinguish it!

amother
Olive

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 9:43 pm
I've heard that you can't light them on YT (not sure why), but haven't heard that they can't be lit beforehand and a bracha made on them.

A friend of mine uses the large ones as her "yahrtzeit" light for YT (2nd day flame), and I sometimes do that. Never had a problem. I know they always have warnings about blowing them out after 2 hours or whatever, but b"H never been an issue. I find "non jewish" brands are always MUCH more cautious (in their warnings, at least) about this. They just don't want to assume the responsibility if anything should go wrong. But in our circles, it's a necessity, and we don't think much into it...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics