Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
How do mentalists read minds???
Previous  1  2

imasinger

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 6:35 am
It's all show biz.

There has not ever been one case where "mind powers" of ANY sort could be scientifically verified.

Not ever.

Think about that.

Here is a list of contests around the world that offer cash prizes to anyone who can properly demonstrate mind powers. None of them have been claimed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik.....ormal

Fun to watch a mentalist, fun to think about how they put the trick together.

The only one who truly can read what you're thinking is Hashem.

WhatFor

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 6:47 am
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
Houdini hated mediums and psychics.

I've never heard lior call himself a medium or a psychic

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 6:50 am
WhatFor wrote:
I've never heard lior call himself a medium or a psychic

I think he downplays his powers. he doesn’t want to scare people or be considered a some kind of a witch

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 6:51 am
imasinger wrote:
It's all show biz.

There has not ever been one case where "mind powers" of ANY sort could be scientifically verified.

Not ever.

Think about that.

Here is a list of contests around the world that offer cash prizes to anyone who can properly demonstrate mind powers. None of them have been claimed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik.....ormal

Fun to watch a mentalist, fun to think about how they put the trick together.

I don’t think Lior has any incentive to win these prices. he. He is very rich and makes a lot of money all over the world.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 7:01 am
https://youtu.be/tzEip0orHy0

https://youtu.be/cqvnRLLOdgA

how can you explain this??

b.chadash

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 9:59 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I think he downplays his powers. he doesn’t want to scare people or be considered a some kind of a witch

He has no "powers", other than the power to fool people.
Every single one of his tricks has a natural explanation. If you really want to know how mentalists do their thing, there are lots of "reveals" online.
Mentalists use a combination of sleight of hand, misdirection, human psychology and plain old cheating.
Often when you are watching a show, you don't know that things were set up beforehand. He makes it look like it was all spontaneous. Also, the camera edits out a lot of things.
For example, before the show he will say, think of your first pet. Write down the name. He somehow has a way to check what was written and then announced it as if he could read her mind.
In the clip of Dr phil and his wife, no doubt he asked her before hand to think of where she wants to go and write it down. The camera just doesn't show that.
When he says, you were thinking of something else first and then decided to trick me...well that is true for most people.
Basically he is a very good showman. Many of the tricks he uses are identical to Darren Brown's.

b.chadash

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 10:06 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don’t think Lior has any incentive to win these prices. he. He is very rich and makes a lot of money all over the world.

it's not about the money. It's about having the confidence of your own ability that you are for real, and proving to everyone that there are no tricks.
For example, many years ago there was this mentalist from Israel Uri Geller who took the world by storm. One of his most famous tricks was bending a metal spoon with his eyes. He fooled millions of people. When he was finally exposed, that was basically the end of his career. There's a video I once watched where James Randy talks about how easy this trick is and he does it in front of your eyes. The fact that Lior does this old, debunked trick is proof that everything else he does is trickery as well.
Lior Suchard and other mentalists would never expose themselves to these tests (and it's not because they have enough money!). Its because they know they could never pass a test where they cannot control all the conditions. And it would be the end of their carreers.

Last edited by b.chadash on Mon, Feb 24 2020, 10:10 am; edited 2 times in total

Amarante

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 10:07 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

The incentive would not be the money but the enormous publicity he would get if he was the first person to prove that psychic powers existed. If he truly could prove he was a psychic/medium or whatever he *claims*, he would have done it years ago.

Besides, I assume he still does other things to earn money so why would he not want more money IF he could actually pass these tests.

leah233

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 10:52 am
imasinger wrote:
It's all show biz.

Not ever.

Think about that.

snip

The scientific criteria for verifying this type of thing ipso facto negates them the possibility of them doing so.

Scientists are very unwilling to accept the existence of the astral world and very willing to ignore evidence of it's existence. e.g. The scientific view on near death experiences, despite the enormous amount of testimony and evidence to it being a real, is also at most ambivalent.

I do 100% agree the only one who truly can read what you're thinking is Hashem

b.chadash

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 11:09 am
Op, I invite you to watch this: Theres a clip of Lior Suchard on the Jay Leno show. In it he puts a stack of newspapers on the desk and asks Jay to choose any paper. Then he asks Kim Kardashian to choose any word. She chooses the word "summer" and he reveals that he is wearing a shirt that says "I will make Kim choose summer".
It seems amazing.

When I watched it a second time I noticed something odd. At some point he starts rummaging in his pocket and turns his body away from the audience. Then you can see his right hand is closed, like he is holding something. What is he holding? And why does he need it? He keeps his hand like that until the end of the trick.

This is what I think happened: He took out some writing instrument.
When Kim is looking for a word, he tells her you can choose any word. As he says this, he is writing "choose the word summer"..he is relying on the fact that most people will go along with the trick. (You can see that he is holding the paperup, away from the audience. Also, the camera does not zoom into the paper to show that she actually chose the word summer, like it normally would. )
Sure enough, she is a good sport and plays along, and "chooses" Summer. The audience is fooled into thinking she really chose that word.
Once you know what to look for it becomes obvious how he did it.

sushilover

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 11:51 am
The way to tell that it's a trick and not actual magic is that a performer will always be in control. It's his show. He chooses the questions, the medium, the procedure.
Lior once did a show in israel in front of Netanyahu. At the end of the show, Netanyahu asked him to figure out what he drew on a piece of paper. He drew it without telling Lior about it earlier. Lior tried to do his whole spiel about "I'm getting something...let me see..." but ended up failing miserably.

I don't know how Lior does most of his tricks, but neither do I know how david Blaine does his. What I do know is that they are incredibly talented and creative performers, nothing more.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 1:06 pm
sushilover wrote:
The way to tell that it's a trick and not actual magic is that a performer will always be in control. It's his show. He chooses the questions, the medium, the procedure.
Lior once did a show in israel in front of Netanyahu. At the end of the show, Netanyahu asked him to figure out what he drew on a piece of paper. He drew it without telling Lior about it earlier. Lior tried to do his whole spiel about "I'm getting something...let me see..." but ended up failing miserably.

I don't know how Lior does most of his tricks, but neither do I know how david Blaine does his. What I do know is that they are incredibly talented and creative performers, nothing more.

I saw this show. Netanyahu was dishonest. He told lior that he will draw the picture while he is there but instead he brought a drawing that he drew at home. This is why lior couldn’t read his mind.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 1:11 pm
Do d you see how he read Larry David’s mind?? How do you explain that? There are powers that dome people possess. Idk how to explain it. Hi want her YouTube videos of people with calculating powers that are pasted than a computer to a huge exact accuracy. Some savant autistic can recall every day what day of the week was it and what weather was on that date. You can’t explain it. Also in the tora the magicians in mitzrayim were able to do magic.

chicco

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 1:28 pm
OP, you know how when someone commits a crime there is DNA evidence? Every action we take, every thought we think, every emotion that passes through us, it is deeper than we can ever comprehend. There are many manifestations of these actions/thoughts/emotions. Many more than we are trained to see or even begin to think are linked.

Imagine if sounds could be seen. They probably can be, but it is at a frequency we are not designed to generally perceive. I would imagine that someone who is highly intelligent and perceptive can see these manifestations that the rest of us are blind to. The more in tune they are, the more things they can deduce.

I think this is how ruach hakodesh works. The more in tune someone is with Torah and his relationship with Hashem, the more connections he can make, and the more he can perceive.

It is all there for the taking, for all of us. It is just a question of how tuned in we can be.

b.chadash

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 2:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I saw this show. Netanyahu was dishonest. He told lior that he will draw the picture while he is there but instead he brought a drawing that he drew at home. This is why lior couldn’t read his mind.

There was nothing dishonest about Bibi, only Lior. Lior claims to be able to read minds. If his claim is true, it shouldn't matter if he drew the picture then or in advance, as long as he is thinking of the picture. Lior cannot reach minds. There's always a trick in how he does it.

b.chadash

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 2:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do d you see how he read Larry David’s mind?? How do you explain that? There are powers that dome people possess. Idk how to explain it. Hi want her YouTube videos of people with calculating powers that are pasted than a computer to a huge exact accuracy. Some savant autistic can recall every day what day of the week was it and what weather was on that date. You can’t explain it. Also in the tora the magicians in mitzrayim were able to do magic.

OP. I haven't seen the Larry David one yet, (will get to it soon) but I assure you there is a natural explanation for that as well.
I believe that there are some people with paranormal abilities (somewhere in the Far East) These powers come from the ruach hatumah. Corresponding to that, there are also holy people who could "see things" through the ruach hakedusha. (Though most "mekubalim" out there are actually frauds).

Lior Suchard does not possess any paranormal abilities. He is simply a great showman. His acts are meant for entertainment purposes only.
OP if you really want to hold onto your belief that Lior Suchard can read minds, that's fine, but if you want to know the truth, take the time to google some of these "reveals". People on the internet are all too willing to show you how the trick was done. Once you know, it's not so amazing anymore. Hint: there is a reason why he prattles on so much. It's because of misdirection. Another hint, in several videos, a guy asked him to guess a number, and Lior said, I'll do even better, and went on to do a different (easier) trick. Because, as another poster said, of he isnt in control, he can't do it. That's why Netanyahu bested him. Lior is great at taking control of a situation, but in that case he failed.

And by the way, a savant does not have paranormal abilities. They are able to do calculations faster than ordinary people due to the way their brain is wired. They figure out the day of the week based on the date based on a simple calculation which you or I can do as well, but it would take us much longer. They cannot do or know something that a human being can't do at all, given enough time.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 8:06 am
b.chadash wrote:
OP. I haven't seen the Larry David one yet, (will get to it soon) but I assure you there is a natural explanation for that as well.
I believe that there are some people with paranormal abilities (somewhere in the Far East) These powers come from the ruach hatumah. Corresponding to that, there are also holy people who could "see things" through the ruach hakedusha. (Though most "mekubalim" out there are actually frauds).

Lior Suchard does not possess any paranormal abilities. He is simply a great showman. His acts are meant for entertainment purposes only.
OP if you really want to hold onto your belief that Lior Suchard can read minds, that's fine, but if you want to know the truth, take the time to google some of these "reveals". People on the internet are all too willing to show you how the trick was done. Once you know, it's not so amazing anymore. Hint: there is a reason why he prattles on so much. It's because of misdirection. Another hint, in several videos, a guy asked him to guess a number, and Lior said, I'll do even better, and went on to do a different (easier) trick. Because, as another poster said, of he isnt in control, he can't do it. That's why Netanyahu bested him. Lior is great at taking control of a situation, but in that case he failed.

And by the way, a savant does not have paranormal abilities. They are able to do calculations faster than ordinary people due to the way their brain is wired. They figure out the day of the week based on the date based on a simple calculation which you or I can do as well, but it would take us much longer. They cannot do or know something that a human being can't do at all, given enough time.

I mean Larry king not Larry David. He was completely shocked. I would be also. There is no trick in the world he would use to do that.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 9:19 am
How do you explain that?

https://youtu.be/Xd1gywPOibg

https://youtu.be/j3Mecg8iuuE

https://youtu.be/PPySn3slfXI
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics