Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Do you live in an impossibly big house?
  Previous  1  2  3  4 12  13  14  Next

amother
Papaya

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 9:37 pm
I actually live in a 2700 sq ft condo and it’s not luxury at all it’s practical.

amother
Wine

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 9:47 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Having more bathrooms than bedrooms seems pretty ridiculous. Yes, I get that more than 1 person may be staying in a room, but even 1 bathroom per person (past a certain amount) is so unnecessary. But nice for hosting when the marrieds come home! I wish I could rent a place like this for YT so married siblings could all stay together. Or reunions. Dreaming.

However, I do not dream to live in a house that size. While I wouldn't mind a larger place than where we are, it's what we can afford, and I like my neighborhood full of similar-minded "mistapek b'muat" families. I do wish we could separate LR and playroom, and limit toys to playroom, but it's just not a reality for us.

Bathrooms aren't just for bedrooms. My relatives who have the humongous house have I think 18 bathrooms. Most bedrooms have their own en suite bathroom except for a couple of simpler bedrooms meant just for visiting grandkids that share a bathroom. The master bedroom actually has his and her bathrooms. There are bathrooms on the main floor, one of which is really fancy and just for company. They have a swimming pool, so 2 bathrooms are in the pool area and double as changing rooms. There is also a bathroom by the playroom and by the Pesach kitchen and dining area.

Can you imagine keeping all those bathrooms clean?

amother
Beige

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 9:47 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
I actually live in a 2700 sq ft condo and it’s not luxury at all it’s practical.

That's very different from 7000+ or 9000+

allthingsblue

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 9:50 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
Bathrooms aren't just for bedrooms. My relatives who have the humongous house have I think 18 bathrooms. Most bedrooms have their own en suite bathroom except for a couple of simpler bedrooms meant just for visiting grandkids that share a bathroom. The master bedroom actually has his and her bathrooms. There are bathrooms on the main floor, one of which is really fancy and just for company. They have a swimming pool, so 2 bathrooms are in the pool area and double as changing rooms. There is also a bathroom by the playroom and by the Pesach kitchen and dining area.

This.
Plus the office(s) may have a bathroom.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 9:51 pm
nechamashifra wrote:
I actually prefer the smaller, lived-in house you describe. Even if I could afford a mansion, big clean spaces with no sense of clutter or life, don't appeal to me. I much prefer small, cozy lived in spaces.

when I see normal every day stuff and clutter it makes me feel like these people are normal, regular, human. They actually need to use tissues and leave their coffee mugs lying around the same way I do.
These empty gorgeous houses make me feel intimidated like these people are somehow just un relatable to me.

amother
Beige

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 9:52 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:

Wow.

As previous posters already commented - I don't think the homeowners would be worried about keeping them clean. They've already hired people to do that.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 9:54 pm

to me that is a on the larger side but still falls in the average bell curve.
I grew up in a house that was 2000 sf.

7000 or 9000 is impossibly big.
why do people need that much space.

studying_torah

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 9:55 pm
9500 sq ft?!

allthingsblue

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 9:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
when I see normal every day stuff and clutter it makes me feel like these people are normal, regular, human. They actually need to use tissues and leave their coffee mugs lying around the same way I do.
These empty gorgeous houses make me feel intimidated like these people are somehow just un relatable to me.

Work on that feeling! Chances are they just like clean, neat spaces.

I get very nervous from clutter and mess. I love love love a spotless home. I don't have a huge home, nor do I have full time help, so I don't always achieve my wishes, but even if I did have a spotless huge home I'd never judge anyone else who didn't. I know everyone has their own tastes and priorities.

Most people with 9000+ sq ft homes I know aren't judgemental, they just appreciate the gifts they have been given and are happy share and host and enjoy company.

If anything, someone with lots of money won't stress about broken or ruined items because they can afford to fix/replace them.

amother
Papaya

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 9:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
to me that is a on the larger side but still falls in the average bell curve.
I grew up in a house that was 2000 sf.

7000 or 9000 is impossibly big.
why do people need that much space.

It’s actually big 5 bedrooms 4 bathrooms. so I can’t imagine much bigger then this.

avrahamama

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 9:59 pm
lol I'm so bad. I don't even know what size my own home is. No spatial awareness. You all are posting number I have no concept.

amother
Tan

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 10:02 pm
My question is how do the little ones not get lost? I love my little apartment where my toddler can always be seen or heard and there’s nothing he can’t touch because there’s not much at all.

I’m just imagining him being frantic if he can’t find me and visa versa.

amother
Teal

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 10:05 pm
It’s actually big 5 bedrooms 4 bathrooms. so I can’t imagine much bigger then this.

5 bedrooms 4 bathrooms isn't big, it's average.

amother
Teal

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 10:06 pm
Am I the only one that doesn't know anyone living in such a huge house? I know plenty rich people, no one has such huge houses in my community.

amother
Papaya

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 10:07 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:

I know I live in it but it’s unfortunately average in today’s society and no one can afford these now average size house . I actually rent. It was cheaper then buying. I’m telling you it’s really nice size!

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 10:11 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Work on that feeling! Chances are they just like clean, neat spaces.

I get very nervous from clutter and mess. I love love love a spotless home. I don't have a huge home, nor do I have full time help, so I don't always achieve my wishes, but even if I did have a spotless huge home I'd never judge anyone else who didn't. I know everyone has their own tastes and priorities.

Most people with 9000+ sq ft homes I know aren't judgemental, they just appreciate the gifts they have been given and are happy share and host and enjoy company.

If anything, someone with lots of money won't stress about broken or ruined items because they can afford to fix/replace them.

actually in all the houses Ive been to this past year and bh ive been to many! They are all very inviting...- the one thing I noticed is the kids are always told no dont touch. toddlers are quickly picked up if they are banging a door, the 7 year old was told to stop when he was playing with his water glass etc..
but granted it was during a shabbos meal which means we were in the more formal rooms. maybe during the week they are more relaxed in the other rooms.

avrahamama

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 10:11 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
My question is how do the little ones not get lost? I love my little apartment where my toddler can always be seen or heard and there’s nothing he can’t touch because there’s not much at all.

I’m just imagining him being frantic if he can’t find me and visa versa.

Cameras! With a central screen in the kitchen!

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 10:13 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:

Maybe she lives in Brooklyn. In certain parts of Brooklyn, it's considered big.

Last edited by Amelia Bedelia on Sat, Feb 22 2020, 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

doodlesmom

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 10:18 pm
You’re definitely not in Brooklyn. Houses of that size are unheard of.
I grew up in a big house in Brooklyn and it was approximately 4700 square ft. Including the built up basement.

Last edited by doodlesmom on Sat, Feb 22 2020, 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Sienna

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 10:19 pm
Im 28. I live in a lkwd new construction home between 3500- 4000 sf. Ive been living here since im 26. It hits me how big it is when I need to pesach clean Can't Believe It
Page 3 of 14   Previous  1  2  3  4 12  13  14  Next Recent Topics