Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Michal for a future baby girl in chasidish community
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

nchr

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 2:28 am
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
True
I didn't post there but the responses were very one dimensional because it wasn't an anon enabled thread.

Nchr Micky ain't gonna fly in Satmar high school. Makes me doubt your Satmarishkeit.

Neither will Michal and Micky is 1,000 times better than Michal because it has that Yiddish chain that goes with Leiky, Nichy, Rikki. It just sounds more heimish than Michal. Kids will have an issue with both, especially considering the background, but if she is stuck on it..

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 2:32 am
nchr wrote:
Neither will Michal and Micky is 1,000 times better than Michal because it has that Yiddish chain that goes with Leiky or Nichy. It just sounds more heimish than Michal.

Nope
Sounds like Micky Mouse and will be frowned upon. You know what I mean if you've been in Satmar high school.

nchr

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 2:38 am
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
Nope
Sounds like Micky Mouse and will be frowned upon. You know what I mean if you've been in Satmar high school.

Sorry I hear that. So there is really no hidden nn, OP. If you go back to that thread, you'll understand that you need to do whatever you can to keep your children mainstream and like everyone else. That is something very important in this culture. It is why my children dont and never will know what my job is, why my children will never miss cheder on Sunday or be picked up early, and a whole list of other stuff. Why my parents never allowed us to feel different from our peers. It's one thing when a recognized family names their kid Shleema but another when Shleema is also the daughter of a BT or ger because it is just another thing making her different. But again, you still have a right to name your child as you choose.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 2:44 am
Chaya, Yocheved, Esther, Rivka Deena, Leah
would work.
If you don’t want the y sound after the name, then you can give two, so it can work, like Chana Rivka, Chana Esther, Chaya Esther,
Just some of the rules...

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 2:46 am
nchr wrote:
Sorry I hear that. So there is really no hidden nn, OP. If you go back to that thread, you'll understand that you need to do whatever you can to keep your children mainstream and like everyone else. That is something very important in this culture. It is why my children dont and never will know what my job is, why my children will never miss cheder on Sunday or be picked up early, and a whole list of other stuff. Why my parents never allowed us to feel different from our peers. It's one thing when a recognized family names their kid Shleema but another when Shleema is also the daughter of a BT or ger because it is just another thing making her different. But again, you still have a right to name your child as you choose.

Now I have to know what your job is. Seriously, dying of curiosity.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 2:50 am
Names are uncommon depending how not commonly used they are.

For example, the name Silka. A very different name. But it so happens a huge satmar family's grandmother was just that, Silka. So now there are many many Silkys roaming the halls of Satmar school.

As are Machly, Traisy, Shlumtzy, Eka, Malya, Trany and Etky.

Yes, these are all names of my daughters' classmates in Bais Rachel D'Rabeine Yoel D'Satmar Kiryas Yoel....

I'm not saying OP should or shouldn't name her daughter Michal, But theoretical discussions are always just that, theoretical...OP see where you are down the road when your first daughter is born and enjoy the speculation now.

Ravenclaw

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 3:02 am
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:

Same.

OP, I said it in that thread and I’ll say it again. You can either be part of a more open minded, possibly oot community and be yourself or else stick with mainstream chassidish but in the latter case will have to be as typical as possible. It’s a hard decision to make, but it’s really the only two options IMO.

PeanutMama

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 3:16 am
That bad huh

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 3:19 am
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
Whaaaaat?? Why would she feel like an outcast? I posted a question not long ago in the chasidish forum here on this site of kids of geirim are accepted fully
And they said everyone accepts everyone. No one feels like an outcast etc
There's a family of geirim living somewhere in the Catskils that send their daughters tot he main Satmar school in KJ. They are extremely well integrated and their dress code is quite extreme conservative. I know of another geyores married to a very popular musician whose kids are also easily mainstreamed here.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 3:20 am
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
TV show host....just kidding

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 3:21 am
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
That bad huh

Hug Hug Hug Heart Heart Heart Can't Believe It Can't Believe It Can't Believe It embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed
Seriously, words can’t express how I feel,but know, that you really are loved by Klal yisroel.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 3:22 am
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
That bad huh
No, not that bad at all. Read my response upwards.

amother
Mauve

amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
TV show host....just kidding

Your so mean. I promise, I won’t tell anybody.

amother
Ivory

amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
Your so mean. I promise, I won’t tell anybody.
Okay, waitress at a bar.

nchr

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 3:25 am
Haha Ivory.
More like something professional.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 3:30 am
nchr wrote:
Haha Ivory.
More like something professional.

Say it quietly, and delete it in 5 minutes. Everyone in NY is sleeping anyway.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 3:32 am
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
That bad huh

No. There are many factors that help children integrate.
Above all, its CONFIDENCE that matters, and not going all the way to the right when you don't belong there. This is way more important than conformity IMHO.
Off hand, I can think of 4-5 families of geirim and/or BT parents who children were very popular in school. Bais Rochel (in Monsey), Viznitz, Satmar, and Bais Shifra Miriam. Some of them I didn't even that their parents weren't always frum.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 3:38 am
you can try nickname michali. was one girl in my high school. ( belza) but im from oot chassidish so can be different. to make from tamar tami,also goes...

Ravenclaw

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 3:41 am
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
No. There are many factors that help children integrate.
Above all, its CONFIDENCE that matters, and not going all the way to the right when you don't belong there. This is way more important than conformity IMHO.
Off hand, I can think of 4-5 families of geirim and/or BT parents who children were very popular in school. Bais Rochel (in Monsey), Viznitz, Satmar, and Bais Shifra Miriam. Some of them I didn't even that their parents weren't always frum.

Exactly. So that’s an alternative to conformity. I didn’t mean to say that OP should for sure conform, but that if not it’s better to settle in a more open minded community.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 3:50 am
Ravenclaw wrote:
Exactly. So that’s an alternative to conformity. I didn’t mean to say that OP should for sure conform, but that if not it’s better to settle in a more open minded community.

From the little bit I know about how real life works, to me a more OOT or open minded option seems best, but even if that won't work, there are many degrees to conforming.
For Example:
It's ok to be the 1/20 mothers who speak English even if everyone else speaks Yiddish (rather than being the mother who speaks such a broken Yiddish that her kids cringe).
Or the 1/5 mothers who drive even if most don't.
Or the 1/10 mothers who don't do double headcovering.
etc. etc. etc.
Then, there's the not wearing tights/socks which is a huge no-no.
In that, you have to conform. But its ok to be minority, if that's your standard.
Anyway, OP, please realize that you're getting a lot of conflicting advice here, much of which is reflective of broad realities, and alot of which is reflective of specific posters' realities.
Plus, a lot of what you're reading may feel disheartening, but it doesn't have to be that way.
I said this in another thread, but I'll say it again here. I think its important to speak to real people in real life who have BTDT. And not just one, but a nice amount of people, so that you get a well-rounded perspective.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names