Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Taking a breastfeeding break for three days
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 8:58 am
My 20 month old still breastfeeds three times a day (at wake up, before afternoon nap, before going to sleep for the night). Im leaving him over for three days, question is do I wean him before that or can I just drop him off and continue the breastfeeding when I get back? Ive skipped breastfeeding many tmes when I wasnt around for some feedings and he did fine, maybe 2 mins of crying but nothing more than that.
Id love to continue breastfeeding when I get back though, do you think ill still stay with any milk? Will I be engorged while im away? I just love the bonding relationship we have from the nursing and wouldnt give it up yet if I dont HAVE to.

ANy suggestions? Ive never nursed my other children this long...

banana123

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 9:05 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My 20 month old still breastfeeds three times a day (at wake up, before afternoon nap, before going to sleep for the night). Im leaving him over for three days, question is do I wean him before that or can I just drop him off and continue the breastfeeding when I get back? Ive skipped breastfeeding many tmes when I wasnt around for some feedings and he did fine, maybe 2 mins of crying but nothing more than that.
Id love to continue breastfeeding when I get back though, do you think ill still stay with any milk? Will I be engorged while im away? I just love the bonding relationship we have from the nursing and wouldnt give it up yet if I dont HAVE to.

You may get engorged. And he may refuse to nurse when you get back.
There's no way to know what will happen.

freilich

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 9:55 am
I would take along a hand pump. Pump every time he would of nursed, just for a couple of minutes, to avoid engorgement, and to keep your body stimulated. Its a gamble though. He might take you back, or he might not.

Enjoy your vacation!

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 10:11 am
There may be a halachik issue with resuming nursing after stopping for three days with a child of a certain age.

momsrus

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 10:13 am
you can also get the blues from yoyoing back and forth. There's an hormonal component to consider.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 10:16 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

This is torture and unfair to the child and to the person that'll be watching him. No, you can not "just drop him off". You're leaving him behind for 3 days and all of a sudden stopping to nurse him for 3 days. I don't think anyone would want to take a nursing baby like that.
And he might not want to nurse when you get back.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 10:17 am
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
There may be a halachik issue with resuming nursing after stopping for three days with a child of a certain age.

I'm almost sure the halacha is for a child over 2 years old. If you stop for 24 hours you can't continue.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 10:23 am
amother [ Lime ] wrote:

It’s either over two or over three, I don’t remember which. Either way, 20 months is not an issue.

ohmygosh

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 10:34 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:
This is torture and unfair to the child and to the person that'll be watching him. You're leaving him behind for 3 days and all of a sudden stopping to nurse him for 3 days. I don't think anyone would want to take a nursing baby like that.
And he might not want to nurse when you get back.

This. Very unfair to your child and to the babysitter.

Wean him before you go.

happy12

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 11:29 am
My friend left her 5 week old nursing baby by me for 10 days. I held the last feeding before she came back and the baby went right back to nursing.(she had a child's wedding in a different country and felt it was best not to take her newborn)

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 11:35 am
happy12 wrote:
My friend left her 5 week old nursing baby by me for 10 days. I held the last feeding before she came back and the baby went right back to nursing.(she had a child's wedding in a different country and felt it was best not to take her newborn)

5 weeks and 20 months are two very different things. A 20 month old has memories, can hold grudges, and can be traumatized.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 11:43 am
happy12 wrote:

You absolutely can not compare a 5 week old to a 20 month old. If the baby took bottles for 10 days, baby probably wasn't exclusively breastfed. It's easier to stop by a newborn then a toddler.
(However it is pretty selfish of her to leave behind a newborn for 10 days.)

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 12:19 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
You absolutely can not compare a 5 week old to a 20 month old. If the baby took bottles for 10 days, baby probably wasn't exclusively breastfed. It's easier to stop by a newborn then a toddler.

Wow! Just wow!! Selfish to leave a 5 week old, when your the mechatainsta at the simcha. How about, just smart. We always need to make choices in life. This is what she chose.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 12:25 pm
I've done it with a child around that age. Left for about 3 days and went right back.
At the time the nursing was more forcomfort, since he was eating regular food. But I nursed in the morning, at night and whenever he was in the mood. He went right back to nursing when I returned.
I did take along a manual pump to help with engorgement.

shanarishona

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 12:28 pm
Pump

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 12:42 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:

How can you say that, when you don’t even know the circumstances?

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 12:43 pm
Can I just say....I don’t currently have a baby, but I’m so jealous of people who can go away and leave their kids or babies behind. I have no one to leave my kids with, and my kids never took bottomed, not for lack of some serious trying.
Enjoy your break, OP!!

Raisin

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 1:39 pm
I left a kid that age for about 5 days once, but with his father, not a babysitter. (presumably your toddler is familiar with the babysitter) He was fine and went right back to nursing when I returned. I don't remember pumping while away - I don't have a breastpump but maybe I expressed a little by hand.

At that age breastmilk is not the only source of nutrition for a baby,

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 4:14 pm
I left a six month old for three days and she continued nursing when I came back. I left a one year old and she refused to nurse when I came back. Just be prepared for that possibility

amother
Green

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 4:19 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
How can you say that, when you don’t even know the circumstances?

She made chasuna, that's no reason to leave behind a newborn baby. Sorry.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics