Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Traveling to Singapore/Thailand

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 11:57 am
Hey,

A newly married family member is planning on taking vacation erev pesach to Singapore and Thailand. Does that sound crazy with the recent coronovirus? I'm scared that they're going to spend pesach quarantined somewhere. What do you think? I don't want to be the one to kill a good vacation, but seems pretty scary to me.

nchr

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 12:04 pm
You'll have to see what the situation is like then, but it may not be relevant because of spring making the virus disappear (hopefully forever) or travel bans etc. Likely if a travel ban is issued, she'll be able to have her trip refunded..

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 12:05 pm
travel insurance
wear mask on plane etc

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 12:18 pm
See how the situation is closer to the date. If the corona outbreak is still going on by then, I'd avoid flying, both to avoid infection and possible quarantines. Imagine Pessach in a hospital bed or quarantine building in a foreign country with nothing but dry matzos to eat, c"v.

doctorima

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 12:58 pm
Personally, I'm quite the adventure-lover and tend to push boundaries when it comes to travel, but no way would I currently be comfortable booking a trip to that part of the world so soon, when there's no way to know if the virus will be under control or even more out-of-control. If I did, I would definitely get good travel insurance, but you'd need to read the fine print to see what scenarios it covers.

HonesttoGod

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 6:08 pm
You might think it’s scary and so do I but I am not them and neither are you and whatever I think or you think or another black and white thinks, makes no difference to the situation. They can do what they wanna do they’re mature adults.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 7:06 pm
No way would I travel to either of those countries!

Flights to Thailand have been radically reduced by many countries. As well as flights stopped to and from some countries.

Not worth the risk. Too many unknowns at this point. Would not risk getting sick, getting stuck, getting quarantined...

Travel seems iffy right now, trains were stopped from Italy going into Austria and other countries due to outbreaks in Italy. To go to a country where outbreaks already are does not seem to be a good idea.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 7:01 am
Thailand and Singapore are now on the list in Israel that requires returning Israelis to quarantine for two weeks.

Op's newly married family member may not yet be aware of these risks and restrictions.

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 7:23 am
I recently had a business trip to Taiwan cancelled due to coronavirus. Taiwan was fine, but it was quarantining anyone who had traveled through certain countries, including Hong Kong where my stopover flight was. Once my work realized what was happening, they cancelled the trip altogether, made a firm-wide policy banning all non-urgent travel to Asia, and are now requiring any employees who have decided to travel to Asia on their own vacation to self-quarantine for two weeks on their return before coming back to the office. You don't know what might change once you're visiting, and do you really want to quarantine for two weeks if the US has to put certain security measures in place while you travel?

I don't know about Thailand, but I do some business in Singapore, and recently was getting notifications from a certain popular delivery pick-up location there that all packages delivered to that location must now be retrieved from another location due to coronavirus.... Do you really want to go there right now?

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 8:01 am
Thank you Violet for this helpful information.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 8:56 am
HonesttoGod wrote:
You might think it’s scary and so do I but I am not them and neither are you and whatever I think or you think or another black and white thinks, makes no difference to the situation. They can do what they wanna do they’re mature adults.

That is true but their actions affect others. The plan is to come back and spend Pesach with family. I don't know that I'd want that kind of exposure.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 9:03 am
Oh my! That is an excellent and sobering point.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics