Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
If your child received speech therapy...

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 9:52 am
I am graduating soon with my master’s degree in speech language pathology. Before I begin my career, I wanted to hear from those of you who had/have children receiving speech/language therapy services. What are some qualities/traits/skills that your speech pathologist had that you liked or didn’t like? If you had a speech pathologist who you felt was excellent and stood out from the others, what was it about her that made her so great?

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 10:02 am
The one who never stopped learning was by far the best. By learning I mean: lots of continuing ed in her field, supervision and mentoring even once she was quite experienced, reading books on related topics (mental health, occupational therapy related, parenting, etc. )

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 10:03 am
I hated the ones who gave unsolicited advice re my other kid.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 10:05 am
Try to make things fun so that the child thinks he’s playing rather than being “therapized”!!! It’s harder but doable and you’ll
See more progress if you have the child working along with you rather than fighting!
And fun means different things for different children: look at each child as an individual and see what will work for them. I’ve had both types of therapists and you really can’t compare! Some my children eagerly anticipated going to and some they acted out the whole session

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 10:06 am
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
Try to make things fun so that the child thinks he’s playing rather than being “therapized”!!! It’s harder but doable and you’ll
See more progress if you have the child working along with you rather than fighting!
And fun means different things for different children: look at each child as an individual and see what will work for them. I’ve had both types of therapists and you really can’t compare! Some my children eagerly anticipated going to and some they acted out the whole session

Our speech therapist works with little kids and practically everything is done through some kind of game.

Fabulous

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 10:07 am
Results

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 10:09 am
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
Our speech therapist works with little kids and practically everything is done through some kind of game.

Lucky kids! Don’t take it for granted! I had one who worked with little kids and expected them to sit and do the work like little adults

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 10:42 am
The connection she made with my child was the first huge thing I loved about her (and it was obvious how much she loved him!) and then the progress she made with him just a year was outstanding. He was a young toddler when he started with her and barely communicative at all. Now at 2.5 he clearly communicates and understands most simple directions and has several real words and has started making 2 and 3 word sentences. She’s the only person I’m aware of who he has even tried to say their name other than mommy and daddy.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 10:48 am
We have only pt and ot but I think I can be helpful.
some general things I appreciate are taking the time to prep for my child's session vs doing the same generic stuff for every kid, taking the time to talk to me and give me homework, listening to my concerns vs working on some random unnecessary ****.
Basically: caring about my kid, figuring out what works for them, what they really need to work on and how to get to the goal.

I don't appreciate therapists who waste my time and/or my child's time and energy. And yes, those exist.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics