Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Is car seat research really valid?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 2:35 pm
Most research on car seats is sponsored and conducted by the companies themselves, and the studies are based on perfect use, not on actual use.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 3:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Most research on car seats is sponsored and conducted by the companies themselves, and the studies are based on perfect use, not on actual use.

No, it's all put out by the companies to sell their products.
People survived car accidents even before we had car seats. The government is in cahoots with the car seat companies, receiving a chunk of cash in exchange for the laws requiring car seats.
But really there's no reason why not just put your kids in as you wish and drive. Maybe move to an area where car seat laws are minimal and you can drive how you want, without the government getting involved....

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 3:03 pm
This is third party information: https://www.nhtsa.gov/car-seat.....tings

ETA for those who don't believe in government conspiracies everywhere possible.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 3:09 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
This is third party information: https://www.nhtsa.gov/car-seat.....tings

It's not really third-party. The US government has agreements with car seat manufacturers to require safety seats until the teenage years. So of course they are going to promote the products.
Really, there is almost no one who is objective about this.

I'd like to see a Car Seat VS No Car Seat double-blind randomized trial large enough to be significant, that is privately funded by concerned parents instead of by the US government and companies with a vested interest in selling the things.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 3:11 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:

I'd like to see a Car Seat VS No Car Seat double-blind randomized trial large enough to be significant, that is privately funded by concerned parents instead of by the US government and companies with a vested interest in selling the things.

How would you arrange that, logistically?

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 3:15 pm
Watch a few crash dummy videos.

The research may not be perfect, but I don't think you can argue much that a 5-point harness, or better yet a rear-facing carseat, is SIGNIFICANTLY more protective than a simple lap or (improperly placed) shoulder belt.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 3:19 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
How would you arrange that, logistically?

First of all set up a Go Fund Me page and find an independent doctor (who doesn't get his money from Big Pharma) to do the research.

Then find parents who anyways don't really care about car seat safety and drive their kids around without safety seats other than when they know they might get caught. And take an equal-size group of parents who do buckle their kids up in safety seats.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 3:20 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
First of all set up a Go Fund Me page and find an independent doctor (who doesn't get his money from Big Pharma) to do the research.

Then find parents who anyways don't really care about car seat safety and drive their kids around without safety seats other than when they know they might get caught. And take an equal-size group of parents who do buckle their kids up in safety seats.

I assume you realize how ridiculous this is.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 3:22 pm
How is that double blind?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 3:23 pm
(I'm going to ignore the ethical issues in using kids as guinea pigs in a possible fatal situation.)

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 3:25 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
(I'm going to ignore the ethical issues in using kids as guinea pigs in a possible fatal situation.)

How is it any worse than using cells from fetuses?

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 3:26 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
How is that double blind?

The scientists who set it up and do the research will make it double blind, I'm just advocating for the need to do proper and unbiased research.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 3:26 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
I assume you realize how ridiculous this is.

Do you call anything you don't agree with ridiculous? If you don't like this then just scroll down, no one is forcing you to read this thread.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 3:27 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
Watch a few crash dummy videos.

The research may not be perfect, but I don't think you can argue much that a 5-point harness, or better yet a rear-facing carseat, is SIGNIFICANTLY more protective than a simple lap or (improperly placed) shoulder belt.

All those videos were made by people who have a stake in this issue.
I personally know a family where the parents were buckled and died, the 3yo sitting on the floor was fine and so was her 1yo brother who was in a kind of bassinet on the backseat.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 3:28 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
How is it any worse than using cells from fetuses?

Live kids that may be killed for the "study"... That's pretty bad.

And for what purpose? To see if you can not use a seat that sits your child at a good angle and helps keep them secure?

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 3:30 pm
Consumer Reports runs car seat studies, and they don’t take money from manufacturers.

Question- How many of you questioning the car seat data are antivaxers?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 3:30 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
The scientists who set it up and do the research will make it double blind, I'm just advocating for the need to do proper and unbiased research.

That's not double blind.

Double blind means that neither participants nor those conducting the experiment know which group anyone is in. That's logistically impossible... You can't have a placebo for car seats.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 3:32 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
Consumer Reports runs car seat studies, and they don’t take money from manufacturers.

Question- How many of you questioning the car seat data are antivaxers?

I'm an antivaxxer (well, actually a selective/delayed vaxxer) and I am surprised that people think that carseats are a conspiracy.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 3:33 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Live kids that may be killed for the "study"... That's pretty bad.

And for what purpose? To see if you can not use a seat that sits your child at a good angle and helps keep them secure?

Well lives are killed when you do studies on how effective vaccines are, and no one seems to care. Lives are killed when one of these car seat companies sells a product that is great in perfect use but can never be used right, no one seems to care.

Why is doing a study involving children whose parents anyways rarely use car seats less moral?

That's like saying that a study involving children whose parents don't vaccine is immoral, because their lives might be at risk. Some of us think that lives are more at risk when you vaccinate.

And there are studies that show that freedom of movement in a crash helps to distribute the shock waves and makes you less susceptible to harm. If you let a child fall they're less likely to get injured than if you strap them in and force their body to move as you think is best. And what about in a fire? That also takes time, to undo the car seat. The child's life is at risk if you use a car seat, you could rescue a child out of a car seat a lot faster.

So there's no real moral issue in doing a study on how children are anyways being raised by their parents. Saying that their is just means you don't see other parents choices as valid.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 3:34 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
I'm an antivaxxer (well, actually a selective/delayed vaxxer) and I am surprised that people think that carseats are a conspiracy.

Do some research, look where the funding is coming from.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics