Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Vegetarian, gluten, sugar free recipes
Previous  1  2

trixx

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 3:03 pm
Plantains - you can make tortilla (with just olive oil) or wraps/crepes

chips - thatd a great toddler treat too
Waffles or pancakes in a maker
http://meritandfork.com/aip-fr.....fles/

OP does fil eat roasted veggies or soups bc that's what you're left with

cbg

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 3:05 pm
There are lots of faux keto bread and cracker recipes
Google keto bread or crackers. Look for nut based recipes
I even saw an almond flour kneidel recipe

I was going to suggest lots of veggie kugels
Broccoli, cauliflower, spinach,’onion, spaghetti squash, etc.
Basically veg, egg, a 1-2 TBSP Mayo, salt and pepper, and any additional spices
But I don’t know which veggie FIL will eat

Lots of salads

IMHO- finely chopped mushrooms makes a great ground beef substitute. You can make shepherds pie or mousaka - but again I don’t know if he eats those veggies

Last edited by cbg on Mon, Feb 24 2020, 3:07 pm; edited 2 times in total

Iymnok

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 3:06 pm
Kugels!
Egg rolls
Soufflé
Pesto
Lots of salads with feta or other cheese
Latkes, matza meal, cheese, potato, any other vegetable
Crustless quiche

dankbar

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 3:09 pm
Baked apple with nuts.
Apple kugel.
pesach egg crepe lukshen-apple kugel.

cream of chicken soup made with zucchini.

butternut veg soup

lettuce salads with cubed avocado or topped with nuts
fruit salad
lettuce salads with mango/strawberries/kiwis

for family you can add grilled chicken/meat strips to any salad.

if you do unpeeled veg-
broccolli salad, cabbage salad.

Apple salad with nut crunch & strawberry sauce.

coconut/almond cookies just with eggs & sugar sub.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 3:10 pm
You can also make lots of things with apples:
Baked apples rolled in ground nuts
Apple kugel
Apple chips-baked in oven
Apple blintzes

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 3:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My in-laws, whom I respect dearly, are coming for Pesach. My FIL is a vegetarian (no meat, chicken, fish) (eggs yes), and my MIL is gluten, sugar, and many spice free....

Yes to G'bruckts

I can't begin to think of what to make...

Open to all suggestions, thoughts, or advice.

(If possible, please include recipes)

Thanks in advance. :-)

No gebrokts if gluten free. Smile

How about quinoa and nut stuffed peppers for a main dish? You can stuff the rest of the family's peppers with meat.

Vegetarian liver made from veggies, hard eggs and nuts. Serve over roasted Portobello mushrooms to make it even more hearty. You can do pulled beef or pulled chicken over Portobellos for everyone else.

Make lots of sides that work for everyone like mashed potatoes (made creamy with eggs), roasted baby potatoes, quinoa salads, two color potato salad, all types of roasted or hash browns potatoes... And tons of roasted vegetable options.

Which spices can your MIL have?

shmosmom

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 3:31 pm
I don't have any ideas to add, but am following this thread.
Also, you're pretty fantabulous for catering to such specific dietary needs...*applause emoji*

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 3:32 pm
Thank you everyone for all the great replied so far.

In general we're pretty liberal with much of what we eat on Pesach - store bought, g'brukst, any veggies (no thick peel necessary), but no quinoa, and Shmura Matzah only

I did ask my MIL what she has made in the past and it's either really complicated (which on Pesach is certainly something I don't want to get started with) or really interesting ingredients (which cost a fortune - especially Kosher for Pesach).

I think the underlying issue may be that I am super organized, clean, and neat, and I like to have things prepared and done in advance... Certainly not a last-minute kind of person.

My MIL is also very simple when it comes to cooking and I like to present, lavish and festive. We each appreciate the way the other does it, but my style cooking definitely differs from hers

I suggested to my MIL that perhaps when they get in (coming in from OOT right before Y"t) we'll go shopping together, and then she can just cook whatever she would like.

That idea alone is stressing me out more than anything... My MIL is a wonderful person, but cooking in an orderly and clean fashion is certainly not one of her strong points. I can only imagine what my kitchen and appliances will look like once she's done.... Erev Y"t and throughout the remainder of their stay.

I offered it to her, would let her go through with it, and I would try my absolute best to keep my cool, but if I can come up with my own ideas that I can cook myself, prepare in advance like I usually do - and save my kitchen and my sanity, I think we might all have a much more enjoyable Y"t.

So the more suggestions y"all have to offer I will graciously accept.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 3:49 pm
dankbar wrote:
Sauteed zucchini with eggs. spinach with eggs/cheese. sauteed sweet carrots with pineapple, Layered eggs & potatoes with oil or sour cream/can add cheese. baked potato stuffed with broccolli & cheese. Letcho can add eggs or cheese. vegetable quiche/kugels/patties. You can add potato starch or cooked potatoes as binders.
carrot salad. beet salad. cucumber salad. potato salad. avocado/egg salad. mushroom egg salad. eggplant slices coated with nuts. mock liver made with eggplant, eggs, nuts.
sauteed zucchini with carrots. Baked sweet potato/fries/potato & sweet potato discs sauteed with onions & spices.
carrot strip chips roast on 500 for half hr, sweet or spicy version. Spaghetti squash kugel.

Thank you!! 👍

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 3:49 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
So many options:
Beet chips
French fries, eggs and hash browns
Omelettes with veggies
shakshuka
vegetarian liver-can be made out of zucchini and eggs, or ground nuts.
Serve with lettuce or in blintzes.
Mixed Vegetable patties, zucchini patties
salads-spaghetti squash salad, romaine with pears, apples, beets...
Layered potatoes and eggs with shredded cheese
Matzoh with grilled cheese
Matzoh brie-(matzoh with eggs)
Kugels-butternut squash, potato, zucchini, vegetable
Soups

Thank you!! 👍

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 3:50 pm
Just starting to go through some of the replies now....

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Such great suggestions 😊

You guys are awesome!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 3:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you everyone for all the great replied so far.

In general we're pretty liberal with much of what we eat on Pesach - store bought, g'brukst, any veggies (no thick peel necessary), but no quinoa, and Shmura Matzah only

I did ask my MIL what she has made in the past and it's either really complicated (which on Pesach is certainly something I don't want to get started with) or really interesting ingredients (which cost a fortune - especially Kosher for Pesach).

I think the underlying issue may be that I am super organized, clean, and neat, and I like to have things prepared and done in advance... Certainly not a last-minute kind of person.

My MIL is also very simple when it comes to cooking and I like to present, lavish and festive. We each appreciate the way the other does it, but my style cooking definitely differs from hers

I suggested to my MIL that perhaps when they get in (coming in from OOT right before Y"t) we'll go shopping together, and then she can just cook whatever she would like.

That idea alone is stressing me out more than anything... My MIL is a wonderful person, but cooking in an orderly and clean fashion is certainly not one of her strong points. I can only imagine what my kitchen and appliances will look like once she's done.... Erev Y"t and throughout the remainder of their stay.

I offered it to her, would let her go through with it, and I would try my absolute best to keep my cool, but if I can come up with my own ideas that I can cook myself, prepare in advance like I usually do - and save my kitchen and my sanity, I think we might all have a much more enjoyable Y"t.

So the more suggestions y"all have to offer I will graciously accept.

Don't make yourself crazy.

Just come up with a bunch of sides that everyone can enjoy. Make sure none of them have sugar, gluten, or meat/fish - and you're good.

Mashed potatoes
Colorful baby roasted potatoes
2-tone potato salad
Crispy cracked potatoes
Sweet potato hash
Tri-color vegetable fries
Potato kugel cholent

2-tone squash saute with cherry tomatoes
Roasted beet salad
Zucchini spaghetti salad
Peeled garlicky asparagus
Julinned sauteed carrots with some greens
Colorful roasted veggies
Fried eggplant

Keep a variety of nuts and hard eggs available for your FILs proteins. Keep a flame on in case he wants a fresh omelette. But don't overdo it. It's not like there are other options that he'll appreciate more.

For mains, stay away from sugar. If you need ideas, post here.

Seal a potato kugel in a crockpot bag, knot, then knot into a second bag so it stays vegetarian and place it on top of your cholent so that your FIL has something hot and hearty on shabbos too.

If your MIL can have fruit, incorporate them into desserts:

Baked pear halves
Baked apples
Natural applesauce
Cut melon
Pureed mango froze fruits (thin the puree a bit before freezing)
Frozen grapes

dankbar

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 9:59 am
For gluten free gebrokts maybe you can grind Oat matzo on your own & make different foods from it, but it's probably an expensive option

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 12:48 pm
Kabocha squash is my new go-to.
Bake for 10 min at 400 so soft enough to cut into chunks.
Drizzle oil, sprinkle cinnamon.
Bake 30-40 min til fork tender.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 1:28 pm
Amother Crimson-sounds interesting idea to make sweet potato/beet...chips!
Thank you!how do I make it?recipe?
(She’s 2 yr k”h-& can’t chew too hard ..)but I
Can Wink
Thanks idea!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics