Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How Much Can a Professional Mommy Make?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 7:16 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
I think I can really help you because I’m a Director of Marketing at a company in Lakewood Smile
I have no degree but many years experience in a very valuable marketing niche. I’m 100% a Mommy first; my husband is not available so I take off for every play, kid who is sick, etc. That said, I’m a very hard worker with experience. I’m making more than 60K even after cutting my hours over time to approximately 20 hours/week. Take that, male chauvinist boss.

How many years of experience do you have?

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 7:17 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
I'm a mommy of many. I make 150k plus get health and medical benefits, 401k, and vacation time. What Cheers

Same, and I have no degree. I have the same salary and a commission structure on top of that.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 7:20 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
Apply for some other jobs. If you get a higher offer you can bring it back to your boss and see if he’ll match it.

I've tried that. He pressured me into telling him which companies I applied to (BIG mistake. My husband pointed out later that his insistence of me being "honest" with him did not give him the right to pressure me - Honesty isn't transparency!).

He then went ahead and bashed each company individually, explaining that one doesn't make money and never pays their employees (he claims he knows this for a fact), another has a terrible contract (I agree with this to an extent) so their offer therefore means nothing...

Let's just say I felt really bullied by that conversation and ended up bringing in my husband to be my "advocate" for the next conversation, in which I successfully negotiated a fair raise.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 7:26 pm
If you can find a job that pays you more then leave. It’s that simple.
You don’t have to tell him your looking to leave. Just do it.

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 7:29 pm
I think he’s being a condescending a-hole.
The fact that he uses the term “Jewish mommies”
Means nothing.
Everyone gets x days off and if he wants to be so strict about shows and what not, he can make you use your days off for it like they do in manhattan.

This is also why I refuse to work for frum Jewish men because they say and insinuate these kinda things. And use us as if we’re pieces of trash. And yes I’m saying this after several experiences in various office settings.

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 7:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes, would love to discuss with you.

I did not get into any arguments with my boss about salary in all the years I've been working for him. He just likes to play all his pieces whenever I bring up the topic of a raise/salary change (which I've done only twice or three times in five years). Some of those are, "you'll never be happier anywhere else," "they won't pay you on time," "you can't get paid well as a Mommy," etc.

I know I'm making him sound very manipulative and rude, but in fact, he's a very good boss and I'm happy 90% of the time. He just gets very defensive/scared when I talk about leaving since he relies on me in a very big way and is terrified of having to replace me... Guess it brings out the worst in him Confused

No! It actually brings out the truth of him! It tells you how much you are really worth!
He won't be able to replace you for less than 125k minimum.

And yea he's chauvinistic big time.

I'm a recruiter btw.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 7:32 pm
From what I understand your boss believes that your earning potential is limited because you don't have a degree, live in Lakewood, and enjoy a flexible schedule. I have a degree, work in a public school in New York, and don't have a flexible schedule at all but if numbers help you....

I have a Masters with almost 5 years experience, work about 35 hours a week (including lunch), get off school holidays and summer, and get paid about 80k plus health benefits. If I work in the summer I earn more. My job has very little flexibility and my husband takes off for sick kids, school orientation etc. before I do.

It sounds like your boss feels like he doesn't have to pay you more because he can hire another woman with similar qualifications at your salary. He doesn't want to lose you but on the other hand it seems like he thinks he can replace you and therefore doesn't see the need to raise you. Would getting a degree help raise your value in his eyes?

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 7:53 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
I'm not OP but following. U make 60k for part time/20 hours a wk?
Do you have a degree? I'm working in insurance office and making about 40k for 20 hours a wk and I want a raise. I run the whole office

Please don’t feel bad about how much you’re making, I only posted in order to help OP because my blood boils from chauvinistic bosses like hers.
To clarify, I don’t have a degree but almost everyone in my industry does, it’s a highly skilled niche. I don’t think you can compare to my job to most others without schooling. But yes, I make a good amount more than 60K for approximately 20 hours/week. It’s very understandable because I’ve gotten offers from non-Jewish companies that were well into 6 figures for full time work. I was also pleasantly surprised to learn that people are willing to pay for talent; a little while ago I was unhappy with some things and I looked around at other companies. Everyone I spoke to had no problem paying my price - experience and a good track record is worth a lot.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 8:03 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes, would love to discuss with you.

I did not get into any arguments with my boss about salary in all the years I've been working for him. He just likes to play all his pieces whenever I bring up the topic of a raise/salary change (which I've done only twice or three times in five years). Some of those are, "you'll never be happier anywhere else," "they won't pay you on time," "you can't get paid well as a Mommy," etc.

I know I'm making him sound very manipulative and rude, but in fact, he's a very good boss and I'm happy 90% of the time. He just gets very defensive/scared when I talk about leaving since he relies on me in a very big way and is terrified of having to replace me... Guess it brings out the worst in him Confused

The more you write the more he sounds exactly like a boss I had at a former company, and if that’s the case I know who you are lol. Does he also constantly bring up how hard his wife works, so really juggling work and home is no big deal because his wife does it so effortlessly?? Feel free to open an anonymous email account and we can talk.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 8:08 pm
While I may not give you the validation you want like some of the other posters throwing around big numbers (kudos to them, but realize they are quite far and few between).

Some questions to think about- is the company able to pay you a much bigger salary? Often ppl getting paid well are working in very successful/ profitable industries.

5 years experience is not a lot, what tangible skills do you have that would be hard to replace with a beginning employee? Focus on those.

Also, try to stay more professional at any price, having to bring in your husband is an indicator that there’s a lack of professionalism in your role that would make it hard to argue a raise, by some heimish ppl that’s how it will always be but you can try...

I don’t know what area you’re working in or what your skills are worth, but wanted to balance the picture here. We have an office admin (in Manhatten Smile working 35 hours for more than 5 years she’s still not making the kind of numbers people are throwing around here.

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 8:10 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
While I may not give you the validation you want like some of the other posters throwing around big numbers (kudos to them, but realize they are quite far and few between).

Some questions to think about- is the company able to pay you a much bigger salary? Often ppl getting paid well are working in very successful/ profitable industries.

5 years experience is not a lot, what tangible skills do you have that would be hard to replace with a beginning employee? Focus on those.

Also, try to stay more professional at any price, having to bring in your husband is an indicator that there’s a lack of professionalism in your role that would make it hard to argue a raise, by some heimish ppl that’s how it will always be but you can try...

I don’t know what area you’re working in or what your skills are worth, but wanted to balance the picture here. We have an office admin (in Manhatten Smile working 35 hours for more than 5 years she’s still not making the kind of numbers people are throwing around here.

Admin verses Director of marketing.
What exactly are you comparing here?

And some companies even in Manhattan gasp can also (ab)use their admins (and pay them lower salaries than what they are worth). Imagine that.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 8:12 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
It sounds like your boss feels like he doesn't have to pay you more because he can hire another woman with similar qualifications at your salary. He doesn't want to lose you but on the other hand it seems like he thinks he can replace you and therefore doesn't see the need to raise you. Would getting a degree help raise your value in his eyes?

I don't believe he thinks he doesn't have to pay me more, and he knows he can't hire another woman to replace me at my salary. I think he's unknowingly trying to convince me that I don't deserve to be paid more even though he knows, subconsciously, that I absolutely do. He's scared of just how much I can demand. Or he can't afford me but needs me nonetheless.

Whatever the case is, once I figure out a reasonable asking price, I can gauge his reaction and decide if it's worth my while to stay or not.

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 8:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don't believe he thinks he doesn't have to pay me more, and he knows he can't hire another woman to replace me at my salary. I think he's unknowingly trying to convince me that I don't deserve to be paid more even though he knows, subconsciously, that I absolutely do. He's scared of just how much I can demand. Or he can't afford me but needs me nonetheless.

Whatever the case is, once I figure out a reasonable asking price, I can gauge his reaction and decide if it's worth my while to stay or not.

I saw a post for a Director of Marketing for 140k in Lakewood.

finprof

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 8:15 pm
I'm curious why a "professional mommy" shouldn't have a degree and work "full time"?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 8:17 pm
The more you write the more he sounds exactly like a boss I had at a former company, and if that’s the case I know who you are lol. Does he also constantly bring up how hard his wife works, so really juggling work and home is no big deal because his wife does it so effortlessly?? Feel free to open an anonymous email account and we can talk.

Nope lol sorry... his wife doesn't work afaik

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 8:18 pm
Agree if you want to keep things on a professional level you need to set the tone. Definitely don't get your husband involved!!! That surely won't help him view you as a professional.
And better not to tell him the nitty gritty of what other companies are offering, unless you are prepared to issue an ultimatum and leave it he doesn't budge.
I'm surprised at some of these salaries, I don't know anybody making that much for a part time job.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 8:22 pm
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
Admin verses Director of marketing.
What exactly are you comparing here?

And some companies even in Manhattan gasp can also (ab)use their admins (and pay them lower salaries than what they are worth). Imagine that.

Agreed on all counts. I should have been clearer, our admin is not a Secratary and does amazing work. The reality of both the business at this time (not doing well) and the fact that she is replaceable with about a year of training means that we are not willing to pay past a certain amount.

My (unclear) point was to try and see what skills she brings to the table that are hard to replace, put a name and numbers to the value she brings to the company. At the same time be realistic about what the company can afford to pay her- they may not be able to afford/ want to spend as much as she is worth and then that’s a choice she’ll have to make.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 8:22 pm
finprof wrote:
I'm curious why a "professional mommy" shouldn't have a degree and work "full time"?

You could. Absolutely. He's talking about those who don't. Even though I work 3/4 time. (My husband is considered full time at 36 hours)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 8:30 pm

You can email me at imamother2020@gmail.com

Thanks!

octopus

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 8:35 pm
I understand op has skills, but without a degree an employer can absolutely cap a salary.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics