Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How Much Can a Professional Mommy Make?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 8:48 pm
Salary is very much location dependent.
I don't think you are getting underpaid . Could you find more- it's very possible but without a business degree and with only having experience in a very specific type of office I kind of agree with your boss that you don't have much marketable to help you find a job elsewhere.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 8:59 pm
The more I read this and the more info OP shares, the more upset I get at this boss.
OP, I don't think you should go running to a new job without first trying to change the conversation a bit with your current boss- because starting a new job is hard, and if he'll start to pay you more, it's worth it to stay.
You mentioned that you only asked for a raise a few times in the past 5 years. If you are contributing to the business, you can and should talk about a raise every year at your yearly annual review. If you don't have an annual review, ask for one. Send an email saying you'd like to schedule a meeting to review how you're doing and talk about a raise. Give him advance prep.
Then, or even before you send the email, prepare:
-a complete and detailed list of what you do for the company and how you contribute. Don't be afraid to 'brag'. It's not bragging. Point out where your skills have helped him make money.
-talk to a few recruiters in your area and get numbers for them what they think you can make elsewhere, meaning what your job is worth
Once you meet with him, first go through your accomplishments. Ask him directly for feedback- did it help? did he like it? Force him to acknowledge how valuable you are.
Once you have that on the table, ask for a raise. Say "I did some research and spoke to different recruiters and other people in a similar position, and the going rate for what I'm doing is $x-$x." Give a range, with the lowest number being a number you're willing to accept, but at least it makes you sound flexible.
If he starts talking about 'yiddish mommies', say 'I don't see how that is relevant to the conversation.'
If he asks which recruiters you spoke to, say 'I don't see how that is relevant.'
He can do his own research if he wants.
It sounds like he has a pattern of not being so professional in these conversations...so I would recommend role playing this conversation over and over, actually speaking the words out loud, with someone in the field (like one of those recruiters), so you can be confident in your responses.
Hatzlacha!!!

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 9:24 pm
I have to agree with the above, my salary is very unusual for part time work without a degree. It’s the result of many more than 5 years experience, and expertise in a niche that’s in very high demand. I would also never work for a very small company because I know they wouldn’t be able to support my salary - I’ve been in a position where I had to turn an excellent offer down because I didn’t think they could comfortably sustain my paycheck, and that’s not a good arrangement for either party.

That said, there is never any reason for a boss to make such personal arguments, and it’s up to you to keep the conversation strictly professional, discussing your market value.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 9:28 pm
I have an advanced degree in a technical field with experience in NY working full time I don’t make that. From reading this thread I think I need suggestions as to where to look for jobs!

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 9:47 pm
octopus wrote:
I understand op has skills, but without a degree an employer can absolutely cap a salary.

Nope!
I see it all the time. People with many degrees earning way less than people without them.

In 2020 things work very much by talent.

Of course you wont get a position as a lawyer or as a CPA without a degree but you could get a great Ecommerce or marketing position without a degree. They don't even look at it.

The only thing that counts is skill and experience.

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 9:58 pm
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
Nope!
I see it all the time. People with many degrees earning way less than people without them.

Of course you wont get a position as a lawyer or as a CPA without a degree but you could get a great Ecommerce or marketing position without a degree. They don't even look at it.

As someone with a lot of experience in my field. Years of it. And skill too, I’ll have to completely disagree. It is practically impossible to find a decent paying job that pays my experience-worth, without a degree.
Degrees are very much a huge pull over employees. Do I think it should be ? Not really but it still is.

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 10:00 pm
HonesttoGod wrote:
As someone with a lot of experience in my field. Years of it. And skill too, I’ll have to completely disagree. It is practically impossible to find a decent paying job that pays my experience-worth, without a degree.
Degrees are very much a huge pull over employees. Do I think it should be ? Not really but it still is.

As I said in my post- depends in which field.

I can only tell you what I see happening every single day and that as long as you aren't in the recruiting line it's impossible to see the full picture.

If you're discussing corporate America then yes Degrees are the only thing to get you somewhere.

If you're discussing the Jewish job market- unless a degree is required it's not honored.

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 10:06 pm
Nope!

I think it depends where you live. Certain companies won't even look at you without a degree but heimishe companies may not care as much.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 10:09 pm
HonesttoGod wrote:

Not in my field... In a progressive space like tech and the like, my successful track record and experience trumps a degree. Not to knock degrees at all, I used my position to get DH through college because he is in a field where a degree is required. It’s very industry-specific.
When I interviewed at a large corporate company I was given a quiz to take and the recruiter shared that I had done among the best out of a pool where the majority were college graduates, which was why they were willing to offer me the job over all the diplomas.

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 10:10 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
I think it depends where you live. Certain companies won't even look at you without a degree but heimishe companies may not care as much.

And since heimish companies make up a huge percent in the Tristate area and heimish people choose to work in heimish companies.... my data is correct. Smile

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 10:13 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
Not in my field... In a progressive space like tech and the like, my successful track record and experience trumps a degree. Not to knock degrees at all, I used my position to get DH through college because he is in a field where a degree is required. It’s very industry-specific.
When I interviewed at a large corporate company I was given a quiz to take and the recruiter shared that I had done among the best out of a pool where the majority were college graduates, which was why they were willing to offer me the job over all the diplomas.

Proves my point even more.
I was afraid to say it here but I've placed people in big corporate companies without degrees for huge salaries. I'm afraid to say it because outside of my office everyone thinks a degree is the only way and I dont like to make people feel that their years of work is nothing worth.

Wake up America. Wink

amother
White

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 10:19 pm
Proves my point even more.
I was afraid to say it here but I've placed people in big corporate companies without degrees for huge salaries. I'm afraid to say it because outside of my office everyone thinks a degree is the only way and I dont like to make people feel that their years of work is nothing worth.

Wake up America. Wink

Who are you telling to wake up? A college degree is required for most corporate jobs in America. In heimish offices it could be different, but it sounds like they are not very respectful to their female workers. That conversation would not fly in corporate America.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 10:50 pm
Nope!

I live and work in Lakewood. This is 100% accurate for the Lakewood job market.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 10:54 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
I live and work in Lakewood. This is 100% accurate for the Lakewood job market.

So do I. I'm curious - which fields are these jobs in?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 10:58 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
The more I read this and the more info OP shares, the more upset I get at this boss.
OP, I don't think you should go running to a new job without first trying to change the conversation a bit with your current boss- because starting a new job is hard, and if he'll start to pay you more, it's worth it to stay.
You mentioned that you only asked for a raise a few times in the past 5 years. If you are contributing to the business, you can and should talk about a raise every year at your yearly annual review. If you don't have an annual review, ask for one. Send an email saying you'd like to schedule a meeting to review how you're doing and talk about a raise. Give him advance prep.
-a complete and detailed list of what you do for the company and how you contribute. Don't be afraid to 'brag'. It's not bragging. Point out where your skills have helped him make money.
-talk to a few recruiters in your area and get numbers for them what they think you can make elsewhere, meaning what your job is worth
Once you meet with him, first go through your accomplishments. Ask him directly for feedback- did it help? did he like it? Force him to acknowledge how valuable you are.
Once you have that on the table, ask for a raise. Say "I did some research and spoke to different recruiters and other people in a similar position, and the going rate for what I'm doing is $x-$x." Give a range, with the lowest number being a number you're willing to accept, but at least it makes you sound flexible.
If he starts talking about 'yiddish mommies', say 'I don't see how that is relevant to the conversation.'
If he asks which recruiters you spoke to, say 'I don't see how that is relevant.'
It sounds like he has a pattern of not being so professional in these conversations...so I would recommend role playing this conversation over and over, actually speaking the words out loud, with someone in the field (like one of those recruiters), so you can be confident in your responses.
Hatzlacha!!!

Thank you, this is extremely helpful!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 11:00 pm
Turquoise, I created an email address for you. Please PM me, thanks!

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 11:10 pm
You have to think how much your boss can afford to pay you, which is based on how successful the company is. Most "heimishe" businesses are not making big bucks like many secular companies are, so they cannot afford to pay employees more than $60K.

BUT if you know that your company is making the Big Bucks, then you can ask for a bigger salary like the Manhattan Companies.

Having a degree does not mean so much. It is how INDISPENSABLE you are to the business.
If you can be easily replaced without prolonged training, you cannot ask more than $60k.
If you have unique talents than you can.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 11:13 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
Hatzlacha!!!

If it’s a small business it could be he just can’t afford to pay much more. I think that may be why he is kvetching. He may want to give it but just can’t. It’s worth a try but if it doesn’t go anywhere (and it sounds like it hasn’t) and you believe you can make more and work in a more professional environment then create a fantastic resume and get out and leave this situation behind.
I hate to say it but everyone is replaceable and if you got here in 5 years someone else can also. It may just not be worth it for him to stretch so much.
Large companies are more likely to have more flexibility with bonuses and raises and these tactics tend to work better there.

moonstone

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 1:28 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
On the flip side, he prefers Jewish women over non-jewish women who are more difficult to work with, and perhaps also refrains from hiring men because women are better multitaskers.

More difficult to work with = they demand a fair salary and benefits, and he can't use that "yiddeshe mommy" BS with them to excuse not paying them a fair salary and benefits.

Women are better multitaskers = same thing. He can't get away with paying them a crappy salary.

OP, you could certainly make more money elsewhere with your experience. I'd look around, apply for some other jobs, and seriously consider leaving this place where the boss doesn't value you.

DrMom

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 5:15 am
moonstone wrote:
More difficult to work with = they demand a fair salary and benefits, and he can't use that "yiddeshe mommy" BS with them to excuse not paying them a fair salary and benefits.

Women are better multitaskers = same thing. He can't get away with paying them a crappy salary.

OP, you could certainly make more money elsewhere with your experience. I'd look around, apply for some other jobs, and seriously consider leaving this place where the boss doesn't value you.

This. Forget about negotiating with your boss (who sounds like a sexist creep) until you have an offer in hand.

Look around, go to interviews, see what you can get. DO NOT TELL YOUR BOSS THAT YOU ARE INTERVIEWING. And certainly do not tell him where!

If you get any offers that are appealing, use that as leverage if you want to stay where you are, or accept one of the offers and jump ship.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics