Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Successful jobs without a degree?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 11:12 pm
Someone posted on a different thread that in the heimishe world you can get great jobs without a degree if you have the right skills and experience.

I've been in the job market for a while and I've only heard of two types of jobs that fit the bill. Are there any more? And what kind of salaries are we talking about?

Please respond about the heimishe world only.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 11:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Someone posted on a different thread that in the heimishe world you can get great jobs without a degree if you have the right skills and experience.

I've been in the job market for a while and I've only heard of two types of jobs that fit the bill. Are there any more? And what kind of salaries are we talking about?

Please respond about the heimishe world only.

What type of work experience do you have on your resume?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 11:55 pm
I'm also super stumped and wondering the same thing... The "Professional Mommy" thread (and a few months ago, the office jobs in Lakewood thread) got me thinking... WHAT ARE THESE OFFICE JOBS THAT PAY 85K/YEAR PART-TIME?!?!

I'm a super quick learner with lots of computer experience: excel, quickbooks, electronic medical records etc. Is that enough?

Are there better fields than others? Is the position a secretary, personal assistant, account manager? SO MANY QUESTIONS.

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 12:04 am
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
I'm also super stumped and wondering the same thing... The "Professional Mommy" thread (and a few months ago, the office jobs in Lakewood thread) got me thinking... WHAT ARE THESE OFFICE JOBS THAT PAY 85K/YEAR PART-TIME?!?!

I'm a super quick learner with lots of computer experience: excel, quickbooks, electronic medical records etc. Is that enough?

Are there better fields than others? Is the position a secretary, personal assistant, account manager? SO MANY QUESTIONS.

How good in Excel are you? Do you have budgeting skills? Forecasting?
Have you ever managed people?

Your work experience plus your interviewing skills will determine how much you can earn.

Secretaries dont fly for more than 60k.

Assistants to CEO can go above 100k depends on responsibility

Account manager is a very broad term but yes you'll have a few with a 75k plus (including commission).

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 12:14 am
There are opwdd agencies like hamaspik and tri county that pay very well especially if you are there many years you keep getting raised
Same with yeled vyalda

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 5:07 am
Most of these places like Hamaspik and Yeled vyalda- there is NO potential for growth AT ALL! Its either supervisor position (where u usually need a degree of some sort) or lowly secretary! Ive worked in one of these places for about 4 yrs and barely got a .50 cent raise a yr! Not kidding!
Ive long since left and now work at a professional work place and get close to 75k a yr with no degree. Try any real estate, finance, insurance offices- where you can actually grow in the company

Newmami

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 5:18 am
I don't know about you but if it sounds to good to be true than it is NOT true.
As a secretary you are a cost to the business, you don't add to the income. no boss will pay to much for that.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 5:30 am
Why is that?! If you are a secretary that’s actually good at your job, and brings profit to the business-think; good client retention= happy clients = recommendations= More clients= More income. At least thats how it works in my company.

Newmami

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 5:51 am
Well then you are lucky.
Most companies I work for will pay their secretary's with a nice salary but there is zero to nothing potential for a raise

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 6:28 am
I was wondering how common the well-paying part time jobs were... I have never heard of this outside of imamother. I work full time and bh have a degree, but my friends who stay home and talk about returning to work say there's very little part time work that covers more than babysitting costs...and some of those salaries mentioned are higher than my full time one, not that I'm in a super high paying field.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 7:15 am
You can make decent money in the insurance field (where experience is usually worth $).

Same with people working in real estate and accounting firms.

Also, people start out full time and eventually cut their hours to part time once they have kids. Not start these jobs on a part time basis. It can take a few years to get to the decent salary.

Blessed4

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 7:20 am
Those working part time and making these kind of numbers usually started out full time and slowly cut down.

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 7:22 am
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:

There were no part time 85/k office jobs. Part time generous payfor office jobs is $40 k maybe 50k. That's very generous (for part time)

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 7:33 am
I dont earn as much as others and probably won't make a 6 digit salary anytime soon.

I started part time making almost min wage. It was my first job after being a sahm for years. I used my past experience to take on more responsibilities. I work in the ecommerce field and had gone to school for a related job. I got a raise after 3 months, slowly increased my hours.

I made it clear that I want to grow in this company and would appreciate if they offer responsibilities to me before looking to hire an outside person. My company grew alot since I was hired.

When I assigned to take over a responsibility, one that brings in a nice percentage of the company's revenue, I was given a decent raise. Currently I work 30 hours a week in the office and work at home once a week. My work doesnt stop when I leave the office.

A coworker that was hired before me is still working very part time and does what she was hired to do. She has no intrest in learning new skills.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 7:35 am
Ppl do coding boot camps but I don’t think that is what you mean.
Medical billing
Running someone’s successful amazon business

Im constantly shocked at the numbers quoted on here for Lakewood secretaries. They seem insanely high.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 7:36 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
There were no part time 85/k office jobs. Part time generous payfor office jobs is $40 k maybe 50k. That's very generous (for part time)

What does part time mean? My boss thinks anything less than 9-5 is part time and he can pay you less because of it. Working at home hours aren't counted because I am a salaried employee. Banging head

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 7:40 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
What does part time mean? My boss thinks anything less than 9-5 is part time and he can pay you less because of it. Working at home hours aren't counted because I am a salaried employee. Banging head

Remember - if you ever feel your boss is treating you unfairly and you have pemtial for more growth then find another job. Your job doesn’t own you. Take the skills you learned and use them to move up. Honestly he is allowed to determine how and when you work because he is the boss. But you are also allowed to leave.

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 7:49 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:

Hes right.

Part time means your salary a fraction of full time, not half.

When I'm talking about big salaries it's always full time. Of course there's the case of being there for so many years and getting the same salary and less hours but I'm talking in general.

Hamaspik and Yeled... no money there except for HR managers or billing supervisor etc.

Programmers earn nicely. Schooling is needed but more than that hands on training is needed and employers will honor solid work experience more than 10 degrees.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 7:53 am
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
Hes right.

Part time means your salary a fraction of full time, not half.

When I'm talking about big salaries it's always full time. Of course there's the case of being there for so many years and getting the same salary and less hours but I'm talking in general.

Hamaspik and Yeled... no money there except for HR managers or billing supervisor etc.

Programmers earn nicely. Schooling is needed but more than that hands on training is needed and employers will honor solid work experience more than 10 degrees.

I just want to say that the bolded is not true. I have a few programmers in my family who were downsized because of outside factors (economy, boss hiring his son instead) and they were not able to find another job after. They are truly brilliant programmers but that piece of paper can mean more than you think.

I am not talking about the heimish world where it's all word of mouth.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 8:13 am
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
Remember - if you ever feel your boss is treating you unfairly and you have pemtial for more growth then find another job. Your job doesn’t own you. Take the skills you learned and use them to move up. Honestly he is allowed to determine how and when you work because he is the boss. But you are also allowed to leave.

Correct, but I was looking for a real part time job so that I have time to take care of my family/house. My job was originally from 10-2. I'm working now from 8:15 to 4, and finishing up once I get home. I work from home once a week. It's still considered part time, because ONLY office hours are counted.

I have told my boss that if I was able to work full time I wouldn't be there. This came up in a conversation about my hours, they wanted me to work until 5. He doesnt provide benefits or willing to give the salary I think is fair for a full time employee.

I will probably change jobs once my youngest doesnt need me to be home for them.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics