Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Successful jobs without a degree?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 8:15 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
Correct, but I was looking for a real part time job so that I have time to take care of my family/house. My job was originally from 10-2. I'm working now from 8:15 to 4, and finishing up once I get home. I work from home once a week. It's still considered part time, because ONLY office hours are counted.

I have told my boss that if I was able to work full time I wouldn't be there. This came up in a conversation about my hours, they wanted me to work until 5. He doesnt provide benefits or willing to give the salary I think is fair for a full time employee.

I will probably change jobs once my youngest doesnt need me to be home for them.

I’m confused why not change jobs now?

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 8:16 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
Correct, but I was looking for a real part time job so that I have time to take care of my family/house. My job was originally from 10-2. I'm working now from 8:15 to 4, and finishing up once I get home. I work from home once a week. It's still considered part time, because ONLY office hours are counted.

I have told my boss that if I was able to work full time I wouldn't be there. This came up in a conversation about my hours, they wanted me to work until 5. He doesnt provide benefits or willing to give the salary I think is fair for a full time employee.

I will probably change jobs once my youngest doesnt need me to be home for them.

Find someone else who will give you want you want.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 8:19 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:

What? That's full time, not part time!

Your boss is playing Calvin ball (for those who have read Calvin and Hobbes) . He makes up the rules to suit himself.

Honestly it sounds like he just can't afford more - I would go elsewhere if I were you. You work more than full time and don't let your boss convince you otherwise.

Cookiegirl

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 8:28 am
8:15-4 is considered full time...even without your working at home. You should Google employment rules for your state. You are also likely entitled to paid breaks. Also depending on your role, you may be entitled to overtime pay, regardless of whether you are being paid a salary vs. Hourly. Google exempt and non-exempt employees. Not sure who you work for, but it seems he may not be following employment law. What you are willing to do about that is obviously your choice, but all this may be worth a serious conversation with your boss...be informed though...

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 9:14 am
Cookiegirl wrote:
8:15-4 is considered full time...even without your working at home. You should Google employment rules for your state. You are also likely entitled to paid breaks. Also depending on your role, you may be entitled to overtime pay, regardless of whether you are being paid a salary vs. Hourly. Google exempt and non-exempt employees. Not sure who you work for, but it seems he may not be following employment law. What you are willing to do about that is obviously your choice, but all this may be worth a serious conversation with your boss...be informed though...

In us Legally only have to pay overtime if you make less then 36,000.
In my office full time is 8-5. 1 hour for lunch.
I work through lunch so work 1 hr less. But that is my choice.
Legally anything over 32 hours - not including lunch is full time.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 9:39 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Someone posted on a different thread that in the heimishe world you can get great jobs without a degree if you have the right skills and experience.

I've been in the job market for a while and I've only heard of two types of jobs that fit the bill. Are there any more? And what kind of salaries are we talking about?

Please respond about the heimishe world only.

Not sure what "a while" means, but it sounds about right.
1) these jobs are few and far between, and are on the market even less than that. (Meaning people don't just leave these jobs every other day, so there are even fewer job openings that for this criteria)
2) these jobs don't usually start out paying so much, the employee usually shows their value to the company and gets compensated accordingly.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 9:41 am
To the original question, I don't think 85k a year working part time is the norm in Lakewood. And definitely not right away. Most people getting office jobs start lower than that. If it's a good company and you stick with it and grow with it and get a 10% raise every year, then over 8-10 years, that turns into 85k, plus over time cutting your hours, etc.
Also, the ladies who started working 10-15 years ago were at a time when a lot of the companies were getting started. A lot of them are in manager positions now making good salaries and there is no longer the same room for growth. I'm talking about a lot of the really big companies in Lakewood that lots of people work for. It's definitely still possible to get there, but I don't think it's so easy or common.
Those of you making 85k and above, did you get that right away? How long did it take to get there?

HonesttoGod

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 9:51 am
IME Jewish bosses very often make up their own rules to the game to Suit themselves.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 10:18 am
Is a 10% annual raise really standard?!

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 10:24 am
If you earn yourself a reputation you can ask for a lot.
I have a friend who just left one real estate office to go work at another. She works 9-3 and asked for 85k a year and she had MULTIPLE job offers. She earned herself a good reputation at her job and others heard she was available and wanted her. 1 efficient worker can be a better investment to some bosses than 2 or 3 inefficient employees..
She is known for being reliable, organized, smart, good communicator etc. She bring a ton of value with her even without a degree...

P.s obviously both the old boss and the new boss are very wealthy guys who dont care about going rates, the will pay to get what they want

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 11:08 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:

Full time depends on the AMOUNT of hours you work not when those hours are .
You can find a different job and ask them to keep the same hours you are working now. Lots of employees don't care as long as you clock in the hours

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 11:18 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

3%-5% per year is standard yearly increase.
Anything above that is a raise. I’ve never heard of that happening yearly.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 11:36 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

No, 2-5% is. But someone who is doing really well and the company is doing really well might get closer to 10% every year- it's not the norm- but it's how you land at 85k after 8-10 years.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 12:33 pm
I’m the Amother from the other thread who you are probably talking about, I’d like to clear up some misconceptions.
1. I am working more than ten years, and at this point have a name for myself within the field
2. I am in a highly specialized niche where most people do have a degree. I don’t think a secretary, bookkeeper, etc. can earn what I do.
3. I started at minimum wage of $12/hour and slowly worked my way up, cutting my hours over the years. I started out working 10-6.
4. I received offers from Non-Jewish companies for full time work that was well into 6 figures, so if you cut that in half by my very part time hours the rate is approximately the same.

So to summarize, I believe my salary is unusual for someone without a degree, and you will only get there with lots of hard work and specialization in an industry. For anyone whose boss behaves the way the one in the last thread did, especially in Lakewood, don’t stay!! The job market is wide open right now, employers are willing to pay for talent. You have to be reasonable about salary expectations but there is absolutely no reason to stay in an unpleasant environment.

sara_s

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 1:25 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What? That's full time, not part time!

Your boss is playing Calvin ball (for those who have read Calvin and Hobbes) . He makes up the rules to suit himself.

Honestly it sounds like he just can't afford more - I would go elsewhere if I were you. You work more than full time and don't let your boss convince you otherwise.

I agree. It sounds like you are being taken advantage of. I definitely don't understand why you aren't being paid for the hours you work from home.

Personally I think if your employer isn't prepared to pay for those hours you work from home ( or consider them towards your full time work hours if you are a salaried not hourly employee)- then you should stop putting in those hours!

qwerty4

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 1:47 pm
In my circles a high school graduate can usually find a job in an office starting wage at about $500 a week. It then depends on each individual employer and the potential they offer, but the wage is gradually raised on an annual basis. If an employee stays on for a long time and the employer is one who values experience, a annual salary of above 50k is very feasible. As is cutting the hours eventually to accommodate a larger family, with many employers even paying the babysitting expense directly. Of course, this is not always the case, as different arrangements are always made based on the employer and employee.

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 3:39 pm
Newmami wrote:
I don't know about you but if it sounds to good to be true than it is NOT true.
As a secretary you are a cost to the business, you don't add to the income. no boss will pay to much for that.

EVERY employee is necessary to the bottom line. Some are more valuable than others
but employers don't hire anyone unnecessary.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 7:39 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
Find someone else who will give you want you want.

It would be almost impossible to find another job locally where I can use my experience. I would have to commute and I wouldnt be able to work 9-4. My youngest goes on the bus at 8:15 and is home by 4:15.

I also need flexibility, to work at home once a week.

I guess it doesn't hurt to reach out to a recruiter.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 7:51 pm
I am experienced in social media and some other specialized online platforms.
I do not have a degree.
I work a few hours a day from home.
It's a very different world today. There's Amazon, and other e-commerce platforms, there's social media...... Each a world on its own. And businesses will pay , if you have experience and a reputation as someone who knows a certain field in any of these industries.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 8:57 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
EVERY employee is necessary to the bottom line. Some are more valuable than others
but employers don't hire anyone unnecessary.

Necessary, yes. But not irreplaceable. There's always someone who can do just as good a job as you. No matter how talented and experienced you are. Unless you're along the level of a Nobel prize winner or some some such.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics