Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
New guidelines regarding Eye Drops and Vitamin K
  1  2  3  10  11  12  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 8:27 am
https://www.health.ny.gov/prof.....DHbLQ

Quote:
Previous guidance circulated in 1999 advised providers to report a family’s refusal to Child Protective Services. This is no longer correct. The New York State Office of Children and Family Services (OCFS) has taken the position that the refusal of preventative medical procedures such as eye prophylaxis and vitamin K does not meet the definition of a maltreatment of a child and a report to the Statewide Central Registry (SCR) will not be accepted in these circumstances. The SCR will, however, accept a report when a parent 3 who has a relevant pre-existing condition (e.g., vitamin K deficiency, gonorrhea, chlamydia) and refuses to allow medical treatment (e.g., eye prophylaxis, or vitamin K injection) for the newborn which harms the newborn or places the newborn at imminent risk of harm.

A step in the right direction for parents' choice!

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 8:34 am
So regretful both my kids got both. The first I didn't know. He second I was exhausted from fighting for other things during birth so I just wiped away the cream.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 2:47 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
So regretful both my kids got both. The first I didn't know. He second I was exhausted from fighting for other things during birth so I just wiped away the cream.

Many people don't know that eye drops are mostly unnecessary for many frum mothers. It's unfortunate, but no use crying over spilled milk. At least going forward you now know that in NY you have nothing to fear by denying them.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 2:54 pm
What are the eye drops for?

nchr

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 2:55 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:

Bacterial infections that can be acquired during birth. Has nothing to do with being Frum. 30 - 50% of the cases of ON are from the hospital environment or parent and not chlamydia or gonorrhea, which is on decline now especially due to parental care with antibiotics. Also, keep in mind how many committed non Frum couples are having babies. Anyways, my neighbors child got a Herpes infection in his eye acquired from his grandmother.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 3:09 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:

gonorrhea and chlamydia which are both STD's.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 3:19 pm
In my state, breastmilk is listed as an option on the form to file for birth as an acceptable option of "antibiotics".

nchr

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 4:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
gonorrhea and chlamydia which are both STD's.

Gonorrhea accounts for less than 1% of ON infections and chlamydia for between 30 and 50%. The remaining are other bacteria from the canal or hospital, as well as some viruses (such as herpes from a parent kissing etc. but eye drops don't help for that).

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 4:59 pm
nchr wrote:
Gonorrhea accounts for less than 1% of ON infections and chlamydia for between 30 and 50%. The remaining are other bacteria from the canal or hospital, as well as some viruses (such as herpes from a parent kissing etc. but eye drops don't help for that).

What's ON?

Sebastian

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 5:33 pm
Wow this is great

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 5:39 pm
I am so excited.
I think there will be less home births now. just my opinion.I'll definitely consider doing hospital vs I had planned to do a NJ birthing center.
would you know how and why this was changed?
my own completely made up assumption is that ppl (some that I know) declined vit k and eye drops in NY and hospital called CPS and it just panned out into nothing bc it's obviously not a reason to call CPS so they just stopped the CPS business
or people were going to NJ to give birth
what do you think?

imasoftov

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 6:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What's ON?

ophthalmia neonatorum, an eye infection in a newborn infant

kiwi strawberry

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 8:14 pm
It doesn't seem so clear to me. It says it will not warrant a report to children's services, but does that mean the hospital will be totally ok with refusals? What then will be their course of action to refusing families?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 8:55 pm
kiwi strawberry wrote:
It doesn't seem so clear to me. It says it will not warrant a report to children's services, but does that mean the hospital will be totally ok with refusals? What then will be their course of action to refusing families?

They will still do their utmost to try to convince you, but CPS will no longer consider a complaint for this to be valid, so even if they threaten you, it's an empty threat.

kiwi strawberry

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 8:59 pm
Ah ha. I hope that's the case. Hospitals can still be plenty nasty even without legal backing, methinks.

miami85

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 9:05 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:

regretful? was there a reaction?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 9:35 pm
I dont understand. Why are we anti the eye drops and vitamin k cream ?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 9:41 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:

Who's the "we" you're referring to? I can only speak for myself, and I am pro parents choice when it comes to medical decisions. I am anti bullying parents.

Every medical treatment, as well as lack of medical treatment, has potential risk associated with it, and each parent can choose which risk they prefer to take.

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 9:45 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:

Probably the same people who are anti car seats. 🤷‍♀️

Odelyah

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 9:53 pm
I never had a problem refusing the drops-- they never made an issue in the 3 states in which I gave birth IIRC. One midwife in NYC I think said she could squirt the ointment on his cheek instead and I could wipe it off, so that's what I did. Everyone else I think was fine just skipping it. Pretty sure I always did the vitamin k though...

based on my research at the time the drops were for gonorrhea which I knew I didn't have, and I read that it could blur the baby's vision during the critical bonding period when ideally he should be able to see his mother's face..
Page 1 of 12   1  2  3  10  11  12  Next Recent Topics