Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
How to get my 2 yr old to sleep later

LO

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 6:50 am
My 2 yr old sleeps through until about 5 am, when he wakes up for the day. TMI Banging head . Very often he will take a bottle and then go back to sleep, but once I start giving him bottles in bed, he starts waking up for them earlier and earlier. So I take him out, put him on the couch, and give it to him there, but then he is up for the day so early....Sometimes he falls back asleep on the couch, but not usually...He is not the type to play quietly in his crib until it's time to come out, he screams....He is also not so sleepy by 5 am so it's hard to get him to go back to sleep without giving him a bottle, he will just scream and scream.....
He DOES need the sleep, though. He doesn't nap any more (was going to sleep for the night way too late because of it), so he sleeps from about 7:30 until 5, which is not enough....
Help! Smile

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 7:06 am
Why do you care if he has a bottle? He might be hungry or thirsty. Don't take him out of the crib when you give him the bottle. Once you take him out, he'll think it's morning. And if he wakes up earlier for the bottle, there's a bigger chance he'd go back to sleep.
Sometimes when kids nap, they sleep better at night. Try to put him for an early nap, see if it makes a difference.

Angel

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 7:07 am
He doesnt nap at all between 5-7:30? Try putting him in to bed earlier. I found with mine the less overtired he is when he goes to sleep, the better he sleeps.
Also make sure its dark. Kids c light and automatically think action is going on

LO

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 7:15 am
I found that if he naps, he doesn't fall asleep until after 8, which was an issue for me. I don't want him to wake up earlier to have a bottle because then he will wake up more than once, at 2-3 am and then again at 5. it just makes him used to falling asleep with a bottle and then he wants it every time that he needs to fall asleep...
I will try to put him earlier, but when I do, he usually just plays more...

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 7:17 am
He'll go to sleep late even if he takes an early nap? Like around 11?
Chances are that if he wakes up at 3 for a bottle he won't wake at 5.
Maybe keep a sippy cup in his bed so he can take it himself when he wakes up.

Angel

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 7:20 am
Move up bedtime routine (bath, story, shema) . Dim ligths once u start the routine (about half hr b4 u plan he should go to sleep.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics