Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
As an Adult What Do You Learn?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 2:28 pm
I have found that learning a little every day is very good for my chizuk. I have learned some books like the Tanach and The Midrash Says and found I was much happier and stronger when I did so. I felt like it brought me kedusha.

I am looking for more suggestions for learning material. I did not go to seminary and of course there is a sea of interesting material I could pick up but I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions of books they learned that they feel enriched them or especially helped in some way.

Hashemlovesme1

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 2:34 pm
I feel the same way- learning a little bit of something every day is really helpful for me! These are some ideas of what I did:
Mesilas yesharim- artscroll has a great translated one. I read a paragraph every day.
Tehillim- again artscroll has great translation with some commentary on the bottom. Do a psalm a day (or half for the long ones).
Now I’m doing Igeres haramban, very interesting so far!
*edited for typos

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 2:43 pm
I am an Aish Hatorah website junky. While it is clear not a sefer and not linear, there is always something interesting to read and learn. I like that it has message that I can apply to my daily life.
Full disclosure, any shuir that hands out source sheets loses me in less than 5 minutes.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 2:44 pm
daily tanya by Rabbis Levy and Sholom Winebarg on chabads website.

Sefer Ageres tshuva with yiddish explanation. It sounds morbid but if really uplifts me.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 3:28 pm
I go to several shiurim.
I learn as a mentor.
I skim the Stone chumash between aliyos on Shabbos.
I'll read some of the divrei Torah in magazines I subscribe too.
I'm trying Nach Yomi.
I also listen to shiurim on popular sites.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 3:48 pm
Thank you! All the suggestions are very helpful and I am sure will help others that also want to try learning more.

Please keep the suggestions coming..

Cheiny

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 5:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have found that learning a little every day is very good for my chizuk. I have learned some books like the Tanach and The Midrash Says and found I was much happier and stronger when I did so. I felt like it brought me kedusha.

I am looking for more suggestions for learning material. I did not go to seminary and of course there is a sea of interesting material I could pick up but I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions of books they learned that they feel enriched them or especially helped in some way.

The Living Emunah series are great for dialy learning, a chapter a day.
Also shiurim.

bobeli

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 8:42 pm
I find books on the parsha with explanations and stories very inspiring if I follow along with the weekly parsha, sometimes it mirrored what was going on in my life at that moment
books like aleinu leshabeach from r zilverststein, zera shimshon and a new one in English from r Chaim Kanievsky
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics