Home

Seminary; please give your answers now!
1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post  Tue, Feb 25 2020, 5:26 pm
My daughter is on a priority pending list for a seminary and there are girls who have been accepted but have not given in their decision. Please realise that your decision is affecting others and give in your answer! This is a very difficult time for many girls, please help by letting seminaries know as soon as possible. Thank you!
Back to top

Saray




 
 
 
 

Post  Tue, Feb 25 2020, 6:41 pm
I think all girls who were accepted are giving in their replies by tomorrow (Wed night) as per the seminaries deadline.
Back to top

amother




Aubergine
 

Post  Tue, Feb 25 2020, 8:16 pm
OP, I can commiserate with you because im
In the same boat. My amazing daughter didn't get into any of the seminaries she applied to and is taking it very badly. She is a true Bais Yaakov girl who has always been the star of her grade. She feels awful now. Crying
Back to top

amother




Salmon
 

Post  Tue, Feb 25 2020, 8:21 pm
I had no idea there was a priority pending list?

My daughter got rejections from both seminaries she applied to, and one response stated she was on a waiting list.
I suppose that’s a generic way of rejecting someone, versus someone who is given a “priority pending” status?
Back to top

amother




Aubergine
 

Post  Tue, Feb 25 2020, 9:46 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
I had no idea there was a priority pending list?

My daughter got rejections from both seminaries she applied to, and one response stated she was on a waiting list.
I suppose that’s a generic way of rejecting someone, versus someone who is given a “priority pending” status?


I assume every seminary uses their own lingo. Some seminaries will write Pending, some will differentiate between Pending and Priority Pending.
Back to top

amother




Ruby
 

Post  Tue, Feb 25 2020, 9:52 pm
OP, are your principals at all helpful?
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Wed, Feb 26 2020, 12:04 am
Yes they are doing all they can but apparently this year more than ever there are very excellent girls who as yet have no where to go! So to the ones who have not been given a place, you are not alone. I wonder if anything can be done about this seminary situation. It's causing too much unnecessary agmas nefesh!
Back to top

amother




Maroon
 

Post  Wed, Feb 26 2020, 12:20 am
I personally think this pressure of needing to attend seminary should stop . It should be acceptable to begin college/job after high school . If you are not getting into the seminary that you want to go to/friends are attending, then why try for somewhere else ?
This seminary year puts lots of pressure on the parents and girls.
For those that want to get the Israel experience, there are many tours and programs to attend and for the hashkafa , there are local seminaries that offer that.
I know in some circles , if you don’t attend seminary (Israel preferably) then your an outcast . It shouldn’t be that way .
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Wed, Feb 26 2020, 5:40 am
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
I personally think this pressure of needing to attend seminary should stop . It should be acceptable to begin college/job after high school . If you are not getting into the seminary that you want to go to/friends are attending, then why try for somewhere else ?
This seminary year puts lots of pressure on the parents and girls.
For those that want to get the Israel experience, there are many tours and programs to attend and for the hashkafa , there are local seminaries that offer that.
I know in some circles , if you don’t attend seminary (Israel preferably) then your an outcast . It shouldn’t be that way .


I agree with you (except about the outcast part. I don't think that's entirely true) but how does one get this message across?

BH my daughter was given a place today and I hope iyH all girls who are still waiting receive some positive news like we have!
Back to top

amother




Aubergine
 

Post  Wed, Feb 26 2020, 8:12 am
Wow OP, I'm so happy for you. We are still without a positive answer....
And I also heard that it's been a problem all over this year that many excellent girls didnt get in . Its seems like too many kids applied to the same few seminaries.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Wed, Feb 26 2020, 9:05 am
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
Wow OP, I'm so happy for you. We are still without a positive answer....
And I also heard that it's been a problem all over this year that many excellent girls didnt get in . Its seems like too many kids applied to the same few seminaries.

I'm davening your daughter gets a place....
Back to top

amother




Salmon
 

Post  Wed, Feb 26 2020, 9:13 am
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
Wow OP, I'm so happy for you. We are still without a positive answer....
And I also heard that it's been a problem all over this year that many excellent girls didnt get in . Its seems like too many kids applied to the same few seminaries.


What makes a girl excellent?
Do you mean good grades?
(Asking in all sincerity)
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Wed, Feb 26 2020, 9:20 am
I don't know if this helps but I know for a fact that bnos Batsheva and bnos yehudis still have places and can be negotiated with. I don't know what kind of sems suits your daughter. These are very yeshivish.. To use the lingo..... If they would come into question then it's worth getting your daughters principal to call.
Back to top

amother




Aubergine
 

Post  Thu, Feb 27 2020, 1:34 am
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
What makes a girl excellent?
Do you mean good grades?
(Asking in all sincerity)

Excellent in this case means a bas yisroel with beautiful middos, involved in every positive thing, tremendous sheifos, works on herself, responsible, a model Bais Yaakov girl. Her grades are average- above average. But nothing else about her is average.
She is truly a gem, both at home and "out there. "
Ps. Still no seminary for us.
Back to top

amother




Aubergine
 

Post  Thu, Feb 27 2020, 1:35 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm davening your daughter gets a place....

Thank you.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Thu, Feb 27 2020, 4:43 am
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
Excellent in this case means a bas yisroel with beautiful middos, involved in every positive thing, tremendous sheifos, works on herself, responsible, a model Bais Yaakov girl. Her grades are average- above average. But nothing else about her is average.
She is truly a gem, both at home and "out there. "
Ps. Still no seminary for us.


Would you consider the sems mentioned above? If that's how you describe your daughter I would think she would fit into one of those places. I know though that if your daughter had her heart set on any of the places she applied to, or if there are trends in her school, she might not be happy with the thought of something else. But these are good schools (I looked into them and visited them) it could be that BY seminar in Bayit vegan also has a few places left. It's also a very good school. You would have to really move fast and ask your daughters principal to assist you.
Back to top

amother




Rose
 

Post  Thu, Feb 27 2020, 6:36 am
I heard that BY Seminar overaccepted by about 20 girls, so I dont know if the waiting list has any meaning. My daughter got a pending from there and was told not to count on it. She was as accepted elsewhere and we've already confirmed with them.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Thu, Feb 27 2020, 6:48 am
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
I heard that BY Seminar overaccepted by about 20 girls, so I dont know if the waiting list has any meaning. My daughter got a pending from there and was told not to count on it. She was as accepted elsewhere and we've already confirmed with them.


Am happy your daughter has a place elsewhere.... This is so difficult. But all seminaries over accept. Meaning they send out more acceptances than they have place for because most girls apply to more than 1 place and they need to fill up their slots. At this stage there may still be hope.... But not much longer. Parents and principals need to work fast.... (Oy It sounds like musical chairs!!)
Even though my daughter also has a place now, I'm continuing to read this thread and comment because I realise how so unnecessarily tough this is.....
Back to top

amother




Salmon
 

Post  Thu, Feb 27 2020, 8:34 am
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
Excellent in this case means a bas yisroel with beautiful middos, involved in every positive thing, tremendous sheifos, works on herself, responsible, a model Bais Yaakov girl. Her grades are average- above average. But nothing else about her is average.
She is truly a gem, both at home and "out there. "
Ps. Still no seminary for us.


My daughter’s teacher have always praised her good middos on her report cards and at PTA.

But middos do not to seem to be taken into consideration by schools and seminaries, as she is not an A student-we went through a very difficult time securing a spot in a HS for her.

She was now rejected by the two seminaries she applied to as well.
Thank G-d there are local seminaries, but it’s still painful for my daughter, as almost all the girls got accepted and are going to seminary aboard.
She really had her heart set on going, but gam zu letova.
Back to top

naturalmom5




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Feb 27 2020, 9:35 am
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
OP, I can commiserate with you because im
In the same boat. My amazing daughter didn't get into any of the seminaries she applied to and is taking it very badly. She is a true Bais Yaakov girl who has always been the star of her grade. She feels awful now. Crying


Time to be a mature adult and move on...
Sometimes you dont get the lollypop Hiding
Back to top
1, 2  Next Recent Topics

Page 1 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Does anyone have backyard toys to sell or give away?
by naomi2
6 Mon, May 25 2020, 4:01 pm View last post
Girls size 4 sandals to give away
by Einikel
1 Fri, May 22 2020, 1:34 pm View last post
Seminary group info???
by amother
4 Fri, May 22 2020, 8:41 am View last post
Where can I give like-new toys
by amother
9 Wed, May 20 2020, 9:24 pm View last post
Could NYC remote summer school give Yeshiva kids math? 13 Wed, May 20 2020, 5:58 pm View last post

Jump to: