Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Would you donate a kidney?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 9:43 pm
It would be really easy for me to donate to family but much harder to give to a stranger.
I would definitely be an organ donor if it was halachically allowed.

SimchaSays

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 10:26 pm
I would be happy to donate a kidney someday. Just need to wait until my kids are a bit older. If family needs it at the time they will come first,but I would do it for a stranger as well.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 1:12 am
Yes. In my early forties with no children. I've begun facing the fact that it might not happen. Then it occurred to me that if I can't give life to anyone else in the conventional way, I still have the ability to give someone a new lease on life.

I'm still hanging to the last shreds of hope, but if nothing happens in the next few years this is something I'm definitely considering.

(I might do it anyway if I have a child, but I don't want to waste any of my limited opportunities in recovering from surgery.)

Angel

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 2:28 am
Iy'h. I always dream of it. Once I am done having more kids it's going to be on top of my list.
My husband was a little shocked when I first told him but I always say, I rather be the one to give than C'V have to take.

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 2:39 am
It was always a dream of mine.. but bH in the child raising years of my life so not now. And I also am nervous if ch’v a relative needs it. I never knew relatives get moved to top of the list lo aleinu.
I never thought about it practically, in terms of recovery etc(fear of throw up!)

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 2:40 am
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
Yes. In my early forties with no children. I've begun facing the fact that it might not happen. Then it occurred to me that if I can't give life to anyone else in the conventional way, I still have the ability to give someone a new lease on life.

I'm still hanging to the last shreds of hope, but if nothing happens in the next few years this is something I'm definitely considering.

(I might do it anyway if I have a child, but I don't want to waste any of my limited opportunities in recovering from surgery.)

Hashem should bless you with the family you dream of and continued good health to raise them and then, further down the line, the ability to donate a kidney IF you so choose. You sound like a thoughtful lovely woman. May you know much simcha.

Just One

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 3:30 am
Yup it's on my bucket list. Waiting to get past my child bearing years and then hope to donate iyh. It just doesn't feel right keeping both kidneys when they are of no benefit to me but can be the difference between life and death to someone else

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 3:42 am
I plan to when I'm eligible, assuming medical science hasn't advanced to the point of rendering transplants unnecessary. My husband did it when we were in shana rishona and I've wanted to since then but I have to wait until I'm done having kids.

WitchKitty

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 3:51 am
I've always wanted to donate, I called Matnat Chaim once and they said they won't take from someone younger than 23 I think? And not before at least 2 births.
My husband wants to do it but he's terrified of what his mother would say.Any ideas how to convince her?

We both volunteer in hospitals a lot, and it's just a general feeling of we want to do whatever we can.

Teomima

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 4:56 am
To family, in a heartbeat. To a stranger, I'd like to think I would, but my life circumstances do not currently allow me to electively be out of commission. Meanwhile I'm on the bone marrow registry and donate blood so I try to do what I can to help.

sequoia

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 5:39 am
Lori Palatnik did it.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 6:43 am
It’s one of the things I have wanted to do for a long time. I discussed it with my husband but he is very concerned about it and that is what made me have second thoughts. But it’s definitely something I want to do one day.

DVOM

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 7:08 am
I donated my liver 7 weeks ago. Today is actually my seven week 'liverversary.' I donated to a very close family member. I don't know if I could have gone through this for a stranger. I have no regrets, but this was by far the hardest thing I've ever done, and I am still processing it, both physically and emotionally.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 7:11 am
OMG I am so blown away by these replies. You guys are all beyond beyond.

Mi k'amcha Yisrael.

(I do not feel worthy to be part of this unbelievably awesome nation)

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 7:12 am
On my bucket list imyh

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 7:19 am
Short immediate answer is no way. I get lightheaded when I have blood work done. I have PTSD from have surgery as a young child. I was told to sign a permission form before the surgery. When I said I'm scared and dont want to sign, I was told they will just ask my parents to sign for me. They really should have spent 5 min talking to me. They also scared me and told me that they aren't exactly sure what's wrong with me. I may wake up with a small scar or a big one.

I woke up with a tube down my throat, in terrible pain and unable to speak. Since I was a minor my parent noticed and the nurse just gave me more meds to I should sleep. There was a concern after a while since I didn't wake up again for hours. Bh they were able to fix my problem with 3 tiny incisions. One is slightly noticeable.

I will never do anything like this for a stranger.

My dad had kidney issues that BH were resolved on their own. I would do anything for my parents or my kids.

Fabulous

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 7:35 am
hodeez wrote:
I wouldn't do it for a stranger bc I would be worried that in the future chas vshalom someone in my family would need it and I wouldnt be able to help them.

This. Or not even a stranger but me. My father had kidney stones and there’s a history there and I would be nervous I would need both. But I definitely would to a close family member

Last edited by Fabulous on Wed, Feb 26 2020, 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

Fox

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 8:37 am
Well, if any of you are ready to donate, my DH is waiting for a kidney. In fact, he's meeting with the transplant surgeon today to officially be added to the list.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 9:19 am
Fox wrote:
Well, if any of you are ready to donate, my DH is waiting for a kidney. In fact, he's meeting with the transplant surgeon today to officially be added to the list.

May the perfect window for eligibility coincide with the perfect match, b'karov!

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 9:27 am
Fabulous wrote:
This. Or not even a stranger but me. My father he stoned and there’s a history there and I would be nervous I would need both. But I definitely would to a close family member

Of course no one should do anything they feel uncomfortable with, but I just want to comment on this to correct a misconception. Kidneys aren't a one-plus-a-spare-for-backup system. Just about every cause of renal failure will hit both kidneys. Having two vs one doesn't really make a difference for like 99% of the problems that can affect kidneys.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics