Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Would you donate a kidney?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 9:54 am
I would but it's not right for my family right now. Two of my close family members donated to strangers. It's the most amazing feeling you can ever experience and the most amazing gift you can ever give a person.

Stars

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 10:04 am
Fox wrote:
Well, if any of you are ready to donate, my DH is waiting for a kidney. In fact, he's meeting with the transplant surgeon today to officially be added to the list.

Did you get in touch with renewal?

Chayalle

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 10:05 am
My sister donated her kidney (thru Renewal) to a perfect stranger.

I've thought of doing it. Maybe one day.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 10:15 am
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
Of course no one should do anything they feel uncomfortable with, but I just want to comment on this to correct a misconception. Kidneys aren't a one-plus-a-spare-for-backup system. Just about every cause of renal failure will hit both kidneys. Having two vs one doesn't really make a difference for like 99% of the problems that can affect kidneys.

I hesitate to post this, because I don't want to discourage anyone and it's an incredible thing to donate. But a close relative of mine had kidney cancer. She bH recovered, but she did lose a kidney. In her case, she absolutely needed that spare.

Knowledgeable

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 10:16 am
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
I plan to donate when I'm done having children and the youngest is out of toddlerhood. I used to think I would save for a family member if they chv needed, but then I learned that family members of donors get priority on transplant lists, so now I'm fine with the idea of giving to a stranger. The reason I'm waiting is because a) I would not want to undergo a pregnancy with only one kidney and b) while I'm still in the little kid stage of life, I cannot afford to put myself out of commission for weeks. But when I'm done with that stage, I plan to join the donor list right away!

Same

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 10:54 am
I would donate to a close friend or relative . I can't see going through major surgery for a stranger.
That being said, my husband donated bone marrow and saved a boys life and I was pretty impressed with that and now we are good friends with the family

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 11:02 am
It's on my list once I'm older and out of childbearing and childrearing stage.

Fox

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 11:40 am
Stars wrote:
Did you get in touch with renewal?

Yes -- we are working with Renewal, but it's not necessarily the best option if you don't live in the Tri-State area.

Sebastian

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 11:50 am
Hatzlacha fox I hope all goes well for you!

Fabulous

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 12:30 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
Of course no one should do anything they feel uncomfortable with, but I just want to comment on this to correct a misconception. Kidneys aren't a one-plus-a-spare-for-backup system. Just about every cause of renal failure will hit both kidneys. Having two vs one doesn't really make a difference for like 99% of the problems that can affect kidneys.

True but he also had to have one kidney removed due to something else so he only had one. And stones usually develop around one afaik

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 12:38 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
Yes. In my early forties with no children. I've begun facing the fact that it might not happen. Then it occurred to me that if I can't give life to anyone else in the conventional way, I still have the ability to give someone a new lease on life.

I'm still hanging to the last shreds of hope, but if nothing happens in the next few years this is something I'm definitely considering.

(I might do it anyway if I have a child, but I don't want to waste any of my limited opportunities in recovering from surgery.)

I'm in a similar situation to you.

For various reasons donating a kidney is not an option for me but I do try to donate blood or platelets
to Bikkur Cholim like once every month or two to help give life to someone.

I was told that a decent percentage of those blood donations go to mothers in labor so if I'm not in the delivery room at least my blood is.

perquacky

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 1:20 pm
My mother was born with only one kidney, so I'm holding on to mine in case she ever needs it. Hopefully, I'm a match.

Roots

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 1:25 pm
YES, I definitely plan on doing that!
just wondering, why is everyone waiting for their child rearing years to be over? is it impossible to get pregnant with one kidney?

Fox

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 1:29 pm
Roots wrote:
YES, I definitely plan on doing that!
just wondering, why is everyone waiting for their child rearing years to be over? is it impossible to get pregnant with one kidney?

No -- it's more of a strain on the kidneys. Most transplant docs advise against donating a kidney if you plan to become pregnant in the future.

mha3484

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 1:33 pm
I would love to do it when my kids are older and more self sufficient but I am chronically iron deficient so I am not sure if they would let me.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 6:42 pm
I want to do it once I lose enough weight to be allowed to.
Saving a persons life? That’s something you can’t put a price on. And I am blood type O, so I feel like it’s almost an obligation.

DVOM

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 7:02 pm
Fox wrote:
No -- it's more of a strain on the kidneys. Most transplant docs advise against donating a kidney if you plan to become pregnant in the future.

Yes, I actually also found this very interesting. When I spoke to my OBG/YN before my surgery they said it's totally safe to get pregnant after a liver donation, but they don't advise donating a kidney if you'd like to have more children. I was very surprised, because liver donation is a much more complex surgery and recovery than kidney donation, but is apparently much less of a risk to future pregnancies.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics