Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Would this bother you?
Previous  1  2

ra_mom

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 7:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have no choice because it is for financial reasons. I wish I can just stay home.

You have no choice because you need the money they are offering?

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 7:24 pm
We do this all the time. We have neighbors/friends who put up their guests by us when we're away for Shabbos or Yom Tov. We trust our friends and we haven't had any major problems. We do close up our master bedroom but lend out the children's rooms if they need a crib or more beds than we have in just the guest room.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 7:33 pm
ra_mom wrote:
You have no choice because you need the money they are offering?

I can't go into detail but I personally won't be making any money. The more I'm thinking about this the more it is bothering me.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 7:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I can't go into detail but I personally won't be making any money. The more I'm thinking about this the more it is bothering me.

I am so so sorry! I would feel very violated coming back home after someone else was there that I wasn't comfortable with. I get you. Hug

salt

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 1:34 am
I would do it. Where I live we all put up neighbours' guests on shabbos the whole time. Hardly anyone has space in their apartments to have guests, so you always look for someone going away for shabbos. It would usually be a family who my neighbour knows, so not a total stranger, but still not someone I know personally.

And sometimes when we go away in the summer for a few days, we either rent out our apartment or lend it to relatives.

If it's a family small enough that there's no need to use my bedroom, I close that one off, but if they need all our rooms, I leave our room too.

Not a big deal for me.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 1:48 am
I've done it a few times. Very very apprehensivly, but it worked out. One time to a family with little kids and they left it cleaner than before LOL

When weve done it, we've done it as a chessed. I feel like if we charged money, the expectations would be high and there is a higher risk of damage (hey, it's a hotel!). This way, they're grateful.

I didn't know the people but my husband did.

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 1:55 am
We did it once when we were newlywed, for another young couple from Israel, to cover our cost while we went to isrsel for sukkos. They were somebodys orchim so he hosted all their meals and even gave them towels. She didnt use my kitchen, no kids, we didnt really have any stuff. However we came back and I told dh never again. I had those fancy expensive shaitel heads (nifty nogginz - its weighted so you dont use pins) with one T pin that I used to pin my shaitel in place... She had stuck holes all over the head. It just felt weird.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 4:11 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
I still don't get why you must do it but if you really really have no choice, strip all beds from linen and lock up your master bedroom. Lock up all valuables and things you don't want touched. And have them abide to certain conditions. Like they can't use your dishes, appliances, towels, or anything from your closets-whatever you wish shouldn't be touched.
And do very good research on the family.

It sounds like OP is renting her apartment to someone so none of that is an option.
1. Ask a trusted person jf you could put valuables in their home or lock them up.
2. If you can, take some of the money and hire really good cleaning help for either before you come home or right after so the house is spotless when you come back

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 5:00 am
I would feel the same as you op.
You are probably wondering why you feel this way if people do this kind of thing and are fine with it? Now you know that so many would have a hard time too...
(Personally, my bedrooms are not so neat and I would feel uncomfortable for other people to see that. Also, by nature I’m a private person and I feel like it’s an invasion of my personal space.) My dh sees nothing wrong with letting people come into our house when we’re not home and we argue about this sometimes.

dankbar

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 6:02 am
I've done it many times for family & friends when I was away for a yom tov, always only as a chesed, never for the money, even if people charge tons, as there is a demand.

In my newer apt, with more bedrooms, I locked up mine.
I stopped doing it when it became too difficult to manage packing up a family to go away on erev yom tov plus all the food & everything that goes along with it, and still leave house ready for guests, when I had young kids.
After stopping for a while, a family member with couple of young kids, ( that was more lax with there kids, begged us) It didn't work out so well, so we declined next time they asked & didn't do that anymore.

On that note, when I rent apt for yom tov from someone else, I make sure to wash up entire apt before I leave, and leave it super clean ( even nicer than we got it) so that we should have good credit & they should be willing to give it to us again.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics