Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Who would you put first? Work or your family member

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 6:43 pm
I work in a school and the administration is making a decision that will be rough on some students because their are other students whose needs are a bigger priority (basically taking away a successful teacher for another class whose teacher quit and absorbing the current students of this teacher into the other larger classes . These students were in a small class for a reason and putting them in a class of 30 with minimal support means they will fall thro the cracks).
The challenge is that one of these student who will lose his teacher is my brother. Would you tell your parents now and give them a chance to object and stand up for their son (knowing the school if all the parents would fight it they would have to bring in someone from outside but for various reasons the class without a teacher is deemed more of a priority right now so they don't want to take chances on a new person) but the school expectexpects me to keep it a secret ?
I feel like blood is thicker than water. I think the school is making a wrong choice and to not give any notice until it's a done deal will make a lot of people upset.
If my parents find out that I knew and didn't say anything they will be made .
I specifically had planned not to allow any family members into my class but I am not being given a choice .it would also be to my benefit if this doesn't happen because I don't want more students at this point in the year - especially kids who are struggling even in a class of 10.

bobeli

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 6:51 pm
Ask a rov

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 8:01 pm
Interesting point to ask. I didn't commit to keeping it a secret so I am not sure that I have any halachic obligation to keep things from others just because I was told they are telling the parents when it's a done deal .

nechamashifra

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 8:10 pm
I think anyone who works in a school should put the students first, whether they are related to you or not. If you believe some students are going to fall through the cracks, speak up.
Why can't they hire an extra teacher?

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 8:11 pm
do what is best for your brother school is so important

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 8:26 pm
nechamashifra wrote:
I think anyone who works in a school should put the students first, whether they are related to you or not. If you believe some students are going to fall through the cracks, speak up.
Why can't they hire an extra teacher?

They ideally would but they have a very hard time filling positions for English teachers for older boys (behavior is horrible - I can attest to that ) and the teacher of my brothers class taught older kids until this year so she is familiar with the curriculum .
Their question is who goes first a class of 30 kids or a class of 10 ?the class of 30 will be a mess If they just have subs for the next month until someone is found . If they mix in the 10 kids from the special ed class amongst the 3 other first graders then they free up a teacher and are assuming only these 10 kids will lose out . It's a terrible ethical dilemma as to what's right .

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 9:38 pm
Do any of those kids have IEP's that the school would be violating by doing this? Also, it's unclear to me if the school is doing this for the rest of the year or until they find a permanent teacher for the bigger class. Also, when is this happening?

I agree with asking a rav.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 9:56 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
Do any of those kids have IEP's that the school would be violating by doing this? Also, it's unclear to me if the school is doing this for the rest of the year or until they find a permanent teacher for the bigger class. Also, when is this happening?

I agree with asking a rav.

Yes - most of the students in this smaller class have Iep's and are supposed to get a small class environment. Eventually if/when they would find a permanent teacher maybe they would switch again but knowing the school it's not going to happen so soon.
They are talking about making the change next week .
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics