Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
ABA

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 4:07 pm
Does your child receive the full amount of hours that he/she was approved for? My child was approved for 18 hours a week of direct treatment. The agency got someone to do 10 hours a week in school (=2 hours a day, 5 days a week) and another person to do 6 hours ar home (2 hours a day, 3 days a week). This started around 2-3 weeks ago. The school para didn't show up 2 Sundays in a row. The home para just told me that 3x a week is too much for her schedule. She can commit to 2X a week and text me every so often on a 3rd day and if it works for me she can come. (It doesn't. The day she wants to come isn't good for us.) I still haven't met the BCBA. She told me she'd be reaching out to me to set up a meeting time, but I haven't heard from her.

Is this the norm?

hodeez

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 4:30 pm
Try to get a third therapist who can do the rest or the hours. Sometimes this is how it is unfortunately, but doesn't mean you should miss out on those hours

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 5:32 pm
Do your part to reach out to the BCBA. But if she just can't find the time to speak with you, how much time could she be spending advocating for your child to get the most dedicated therapists?

imasinger

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 6:02 pm
That sounds strange.

How are the therapists going to know what to do if the BCBA hasn't met you and your DC to create a behavior plan?!

Finding therapists is a constant headache.

But your BCBA should be meeting with you, and if after you reach out again, it doesn't happen soon, maybe consider a different agency.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 6:21 pm
I’m an Aba para. My Bcbas have always been very involved and all of the kids I know have gotten their full hours

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 6:25 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Does your child receive the full amount of hours that he/she was approved for? My child was approved for 18 hours a week of direct treatment. The agency got someone to do 10 hours a week in school (=2 hours a day, 5 days a week) and another person to do 6 hours ar home (2 hours a day, 3 days a week). This started around 2-3 weeks ago. The school para didn't show up 2 Sundays in a row. The home para just told me that 3x a week is too much for her schedule. She can commit to 2X a week and text me every so often on a 3rd day and if it works for me she can come. (It doesn't. The day she wants to come isn't good for us.) I still haven't met the BCBA. She told me she'd be reaching out to me to set up a meeting time, but I haven't heard from her.

Is this the norm?

NO WAY!! This is definitely not ok...I am a BCBA, the first thing I do before starting with a child is meeting the parents!!! One of the main goals in ABA therapy through insurance, is to help train the parents so that everyone is on the same page and carry over can be done even while there is no para working with the child. As for the paras being irresponsible, unfortunately we do deal with that a lot, as it's not a professional type of job, and a lot of young folk take it on just as something to do on the side...that definitely doesn't make it acceptable though. In this case, I would say either the agency, or the BCBA need to put their foot down to explain to the para that the job is a commitment and have them either agree to be responsible, or leave. Hope this information is helpful! Good luck with everything!!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 26 2020, 7:38 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
NO WAY!! This is definitely not ok...I am a BCBA, the first thing I do before starting with a child is meeting the parents!!! One of the main goals in ABA therapy through insurance, is to help train the parents so that everyone is on the same page and carry over can be done even while there is no para working with the child. As for the paras being irresponsible, unfortunately we do deal with that a lot, as it's not a professional type of job, and a lot of young folk take it on just as something to do on the side...that definitely doesn't make it acceptable though. In this case, I would say either the agency, or the BCBA need to put their foot down to explain to the para that the job is a commitment and have them either agree to be responsible, or leave. Hope this information is helpful! Good luck with everything!!

So originally she mentioned that she's starting to work off what the evaluator put together and would be calling me to set up a meeting time. But that hasn't happened. So I left her a message today. Hopefully she calls me back tomorrow.

(Just realizing that she might be on this forum and reading this.)

imorethanamother

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 1:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Is this the norm?

This is not the norm. How old is your child? The typical amount of ABA should be close to 40 hours, so 18 is even less than half.

Who is funding the ABA? You need to make a complaint to the agency and threaten to report the agency to the funding source.

Also, no one should just "not show up" without prior notification. Sounds like a dodgy agency. And the BCBA is negligent. Try to switch agencies. Where do you live?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 3:46 pm
My child is 7. This is being funded by Child Health Plus.

The BCBA wasn't aware of the para not showing up. I'm scheduled to meet her and am hoping that things improve.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 5:56 pm
Omg im dealing with the same issue, My son 2 was approved for 20 hours and so far is receiving 5 hours a week in school. The agency claims that its hard to find a therapist this time in the year.

seeker

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 6:36 pm
I would have the case transferred to another agency. Their lack of communication is not ok.

momofcuties1

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 8:05 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
Omg im dealing with the same issue, My son 2 was approved for 20 hours and so far is receiving 5 hours a week in school. The agency claims that its hard to find a therapist this time in the year.

Where are you located my daughter in Brooklyn is looking for a job she has been doing aba for years, if u need someone pm me

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 5:35 pm
Is your child receiving ABA therapy at home now during COVID-19?

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 5:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

None of the therapists I know are working now.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 7:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

No he hasnt started therapy because we haven't found one yet.

Cookin4days

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 8:58 pm
Depends on the therapist. I work in aba and continue to see a client at home however the clients mother mentioned to me his other therapist stopped coming due to covid.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)