Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Bnos yehudis seminary in Israel

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 1:24 am
Does anyone have feedback on bnos Yehudis new seminary. What type of girls etc.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 1:30 am
I heard its Gateshead style. Very conservative, frum, maybe some chassidish-style girls.
Sounds like they are trying to get a more varied group than they had last year.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 2:36 am
How do you compare bnos chava to bnos Yehudis. Academically and religious level.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 4:59 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How do you compare bnos chava to bnos Yehudis. Academically and religious level.

I don't know so much about bnos Chava except that it's quite in towny and "jappy" compared to bnos yehudis. I visited bnos yehudis which has attracted girls from all over including Switzerland (there are 4 great girls going from Zurich next academic year, some of them super brainy) and other out of the US places. Its teaching staff are almost exclusively Gateshead graduates. Their goal is to give the girls a Gateshead hashkafa in EY. So the teaching might have more hashkafa and halacha than other places. They also have more lessons than assignments, so they have some evening classes rather than asking the girls to do endless paper writing on their own. I don't know where the academic level is but generally Gateshead expects high level, motivated, good girls. I know one of the teachers who mentors the girls as well. She is really great. The atmosphere is friendly, cosy and they try and promote a family feeling. Every shabbos is "in" its said to be the highlight of their sem program. They really look after the girls. It is Gateshead style and hashkafa which is quite specific.
Hope that helps!

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 6:56 am
I also heard it’s Gateshead style.
And the principal is daughter of the late Gateshead principal.
I think her brother runs the Gateshead one now.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 1:13 pm
Thanks. What type of girls go there? Is it chasidish or yeshivish etc? Thanks everyone!

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 1:21 pm
More yeshivish than chassidish

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 1:30 pm
I personally know some of the staff. I would trust them with my own daughter, implicitly. I know that they over accepted and do not have room for any one else, so I hope you are in already, and are just looking to make a decision. Hatzlocha!!

Chayalle

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 2:31 pm
I know two girls who are there this year. One is from a Chassidish family. The other from a European-type very frum yeshivish family. Both very bright, personable, terrific young ladies.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 4:15 pm
My friends daughter is there this year!! She absolutely loves it!!
(Trying to convince me to send my daughter there!! Lol!)

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 7:10 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
I personally know some of the staff. I would trust them with my own daughter, implicitly. I know that they over accepted and do not have room for any one else, so I hope you are in already, and are just looking to make a decision. Hatzlocha!!

Do you know for a fact that they are full?

amother
Cobalt

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 2:14 am
My sister (chassidish) is there! She absolutely loves it!!!!
very nice caring staff, amazing programs, outings etc. Friday night is their highlight...

amother
Aquamarine

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 11:18 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
Do you know for a fact that they are full?

Yes. Overfull

amother
Orange

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 11:42 am
I know that it's possible to still get a place if you can get someone to vouch for your daughter.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 12:20 pm
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
I know that it's possible to still get a place if you can get someone to vouch for your daughter.

I don't need to be right, but I spoke with the ppl in charge of the acceptances, and got an honest answer from them. I also don't want to mislead anyone still looking to place their daughter.

So please do your hishtadlus and may Hashem give you siyada dishmaya and only hatzlocha.

FrumLady123

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 2:45 pm
Anyone know how to get an application for the upcoming year?
Do they give breaks?
Thanks.

amother
Eggshell

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 4:38 pm
My (NY) sister in law attended this seminary. It's fabulous but a certain type. I myself went to Gateshead seminary. They're basically trying to replicate the Gateshead experience which is 2-3 years condensed into one. Rebbitzon Ben Shalom is the daughter of Mr Kohn and the sister of the present Rabbi Kohn of Gateshead Sem. There are more teachers and Rabbis with connections to Gateshead.

It's for heimish/litvish girls with quite a large percentage of European which gives it diversity. They look pretty responsible and mature and growth oriented (compared to other seminary girls I see here). They're quite frum but not crazy intense. Sounds like the student body is quite balanced and healthy.

The staff is more involved with and feel responsible for the girls more than other seminaries so depends what your daughter is like- she might appreciate it or not. E.g. they always have in shabbosim but you can always eat out if you want to. No pressure to find shabbos placements. not allowed into the tachana merkazit...

FrumLady123

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 6:46 pm
amother [ Eggshell ] wrote:
My (NY) sister in law attended this seminary. It's fabulous but a certain type. I myself went to Gateshead seminary. They're basically trying to replicate the Gateshead experience which is 2-3 years condensed into one. Rebbitzon Ben Shalom is the daughter of Mr Kohn and the sister of the present Rabbi Kohn of Gateshead Sem. There are more teachers and Rabbis with connections to Gateshead.

It's for heimish/litvish girls with quite a large percentage of European which gives it diversity. They look pretty responsible and mature and growth oriented (compared to other seminary girls I see here). They're quite frum but not crazy intense. Sounds like the student body is quite balanced and healthy.

The staff is more involved with and feel responsible for the girls more than other seminaries so depends what your daughter is like- she might appreciate it or not. E.g. they always have in shabbosim but you can always eat out if you want to. No pressure to find shabbos placements. not allowed into the tachana merkazit...

Thank you.
I appreciate your comment.
Can you please elaborate on the bolded parts?

amother
Eggshell

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 10:32 am
The Gateshead experience is lots of learning inside from the source, Chumash, Rashi, Medrash, Nach. They don't do flowery kind of shiurim. I think this seminary is less intense but draws inspiration from Gateshead and also has same kind of shiurim.
Regarding type of girl, I tried to explain it in my previous post.
They also have lovely getaways and programs.
Perhaps your daughter can get in touch with a previous student to discuss.

Siriusly?

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 11:04 am
amother [ Eggshell ] wrote:

She's the daughter of Rabbi Mordechai Miller zt"l, and sister of current Rabbi Todros Miller in Gateshead
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics